Need advice

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by GunNovice1, Oct 25, 2011.

1. GunNovice1

GunNovice1 New Member

Hey all. I know you probably arent that interested because im only 15, but im interested on becoming a gunsmith. Im also considering joining the armour division of the national guard. Ive still got a few years to go and im learning well but id like some advice on how i should go about starting a career and how i can pull the most possible income. Thanks

2. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

Finish high school first. Then you can enroll in a gunsmithing school.

Signing out, Alpha1victor.

3. GunNovice1

GunNovice1 New Member

I am considering gunsmithing school but as of now im thinking ill go into the national guard and study engineering in college. Then ill go to gunsmithing school if i need it after leavig the national guard.

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

"I am considering gunsmithing school but as of now im thinking ill go into the national guard and study engineering in college. Then ill go to gunsmithing school if i need it after leavig the national guard. "
    Being a gunsmith is not like being a doctor. There are no regulations requiring schooling.

5. GunNovice1

GunNovice1 New Member

I know the schooling isnt necessary. Im just saying that if i feel i didnt learn what i needed to learn in the national guard then id consider schooling. Wht i need to know is if being in the armour division for 6 years in the national guard would be enough education to go on.

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

Dude, folks like Blackwater and Triple Canopy hire military trained armorers all the time.

Can't really say I like companies like that myself, but you said you wanted to bring down some big bucks.

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You did come here for advice, right?

If you have made up your mind just say thanks, don't fight the help!

8. GunNovice1

GunNovice1 New Member

Canebreak. Dude im not fighting you or nothin im just saying what im thinking and im asking you people with more experience if its a good plan and if not why?

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

It should be good like that.

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

if you're looking to make big bucks, find another career. gunsmithing is a love of working on firearms, a passion for repairing someones gun that belonged to their father or grandfather. most gunsmiths don't do it for the money, they do it because they truly enjoy working on guns. if you want to be a gunsmith, then do it because you have the passion and love of working on guns. if not, then you are going to set yourself up to be disappointed. most gunsmiths work long hours and make little money, many i know even work a fulltime job and work on guns secondary because money is so much tighter and guns are made a lot different then they use to be. my advise, find a gunsmith in your area and see if he will let you spend time with him and find out what his day is like. also just going to a gunsmithing school will not make you a gunsmith, time, experiance and talent will get you there. the school can only teach you the basics, and only if you have the knack for it will you become one. good luck.

11. nightstalkersDQ

nightstalkersDQ New Member

google MOS 91F...Small Arms/Artillery Repairer in the Army. as someone who is in the army. trust me you wont be doing your job 100% of the time. HOWEVER. during AIT and the majority of your career you WILL learn enough to know if you REALLY want to do it or not. if you like it? use your GI Bill to go to school for it. if you dont like it? use your GI Bill to go to school for something else. WIN/WIN situation. finish school and do your research first though.

12. GunNovice1

GunNovice1 New Member

Im not trying to make huge money. I just love guns. As long as it pays the bills im cool with it. But yea i mean gunsmithing might not be something to completely throw my life into so im gonna go to college for engineering as well. Engineering could help with gunsmithing as well as designing them right???

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

In some cases you can make quite a bit of money.
    But, many gunsmiths have a day job too. Now, there is a gunsmith here in my area who stays so busy that he doesn't even have the time to look over a used gun for a prospective buyer, unless they're willing to buy it and then wait about 2 months for him to give it a clean bill of health.

14. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

As was mentioned earlier, Gunsmith school will not make you a gunsmith. Years of experience and exposure to hundreds or even thousands of various guns will do that. You will also need to have a strong background as a machinist, metalurgy and physics. If you love to work on guns you are on your way but it will take time and dedication to become a good smith. Good luck, I hope you do well. We need more good gunsmiths.

SWSinTN likes this.
  15. Axxe55

i wish you luck. i hope you find your place in the gun world that makes you happy. you might look into seeing if there is a gunsmith who would be willing to let you apprentice for him and learn all you can. would be a great summer job.

16. GunNovice1

GunNovice1 New Member

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your feedback. I had someone tell me today that no civilians should have guns. I was ready to slap the crap outta him...

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

What stopped you? I'll take a boat paddle to someone in a heartbeat.

18. Axxe55

some people believe that if guns are outlawed and banned, that crime rates will decrease. well if they believe that, then are on some good dope or stupid! i personally don't want to have to rely upon someone else to secure my safety and well being and i don't want to be a victim because i had no way to protect myself. evil in men wanting to do bad things to others, existed way before guns were invented. i believe in peace through superior firepower.

19. GunNovice1

GunNovice1 New Member

I hear you both. I didnt hit him cause i was in school. And he apparently believes that guns are the reason for crime... Its like hes saying that if im attacked by someone with a knife, im supposed to run? What if hes faster than me? And am i supposed to engage in hand to hand combat? What if he overpowers me? I die? I dont freaking think so...