Need advice on upgrading my ar 15

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by patrickkr, Jun 10, 2014.

1. patrickkr

patrickkr New Member

I recently got a new 7.62x39 upper with a 12" free float quad rail i like it but I want to personalize it I just need some ideas of what to do. The scope on it is junk and I don't want to keep it on there. ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1402436442.863031.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Remove said scope and install a set of flip ups and if you really want a scope I would take a look at a quality 1-4 scope . Other than that it looks like you have a pretty solid rifle , any issues cycling steel cased ammo ?

3. TheHateCamel

TheHateCamel New Member

It depends...

As for the accessories on the handguard, it really depends on what you're wanting out of the rifle. Are you wanting all-around versatility? Or something more specific, like just making it more comfortable to shoot? Is weight an issue for you?

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The scope also is not mounted correctly.

5. patrickkr

patrickkr New Member

None at all the gun feeds anything I put in it.

As far as what I'm looking for is to make to more comfortable to shoot I already have a long range ar this is my first one with the quad rail and is is extremely uncomfortable to hold. The weight is not to bad.

With that scope the eye relive is so short that that's the only spot I can put it to see through it. That's one of the biggest reasons I want to replace it.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  6. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Im not a big fan of quad rails because they are uncomfortable for me without gloves . If thats what your talking about take a look at the MI gen 2 ss hand guard .

7. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Wood furniture! :D

No offense and none taken

8. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Rail covers are cheap but they make the front grip really big.

No offense and none taken

9. patrickkr

patrickkr New Member

I actually have that rail on my long range ar it is a very nice rail but if it wasn't so much I would get another just trying to see what I can do with this a little cheaper.

10. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I have used this one several times on upper builds for people and , its a cheaper one thats very solid, light and is smaller around . For the $68 I paid I think it was a bargain . Thats a 12" on a 18" fluted barrel
    It came with 4 removable rails

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Patrick,

The sharpness of the Quadrail is an easy fix!
    Rock River and other companies have Rail Cover Inserts that are fantastic to solve this issue. I like what I called the ladder style. They add no dimensional girth to the grip and take all the sharpness off holding the rail. The other issue is NIKON makes some excellent Scopes for the AR-15 Rifle that are of high quality and the one AR-15 3X Scope runs around $149.00. Might check it out! They also make some others. Nikon is known for quality optics. Then there are more expensive good units like EOTech Holographic Sights and others. Just depends also on your budget. Here is a picture of the rail cover I spoke of! It is the top cover! They come in different lengths. And the neat thing is if you want to install a light for example you just take a razor blade and cut out the section where you want to mount the light on the rail.
    Let us know if we can be of any further assistance. A couple of other things you could add later is a Rock River Arms 2 Stage National Match Trigger (Black not Chrome) and some KNS Anti Rotate Trigger and Hammer Pins. You will not believe the improvement!

Attached Files:

12. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

Do you have rail covers?

13. patrickkr

patrickkr New Member

Not yet

14. TheHateCamel

TheHateCamel New Member

I initially had a T-Pod on my quad-rail, for functionality. I found that while it was very useful, it was heavy and I found out the hard way that vertical grips are very uncomfortable for me. I eventually chose the angled-style grip and I absolutely love it. There are a few to choose from, of varying quality, but they all do what they need to. The little nub you see there is usually capable of being swapped out for a smooth piece, which I prefer.

If other parts of the rail are uncomfortable, you can always add rail covers, like Sniper03 suggested. I have seen two general types, the standard rail panel type and the ladder panel type. There are high and low priced options for either of those.

In the end you may just have to try stuff out, which can be expensive in the long run. But hopefully what I've suggested works for you.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  15. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I keep mine pretty basic , Mine do not wear a bunch of garbage . Out of all my rifles I have one that wears a mount with light . Thats it . The rest wear nothing more than optics with flip ups . They all have atleast one small piece of rail to attach a flashlight if needed but thats it

16. patrickkr

patrickkr New Member

What would be a better grip the Magpul moe pistol grip or the Magpul angled grip.

17. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

I would replace the handgrip with an Ergo type. Also, being a 7.62 I would look at going with a Rifle Stock/buffer tube/spring for a more solid feel. Good 1-4 or 1-6 scope(Primary Arms/Bushnell AR/Vortex). Don't know how you shoot--freehand or bench, but maybe a good Harris Bipod.
    Best upgrades I can see as that looks like nice rifle already.

18. patrickkr

patrickkr New Member

I'm almost done with it I might add a bipod and I'm saving up for the scope I want.
    ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1403557583.441372.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1403557744.129180.jpg

19. Quentin

Quentin New Member

You have to handle grips to find the ones that feel best, to you. Myself, I like the MOE+.

20. TheHateCamel

TheHateCamel New Member

Is the angled handguard comfortable?