Need advice on Springfield sights

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by badeye, Aug 12, 2009.

1. badeye

badeye New Member

I have a full size Springfield 1911 that came with the rear sight that was adjustable only for windage. I replaced it with a Millet unit,now it shoots high even lowered all the way. Do i need to replace the front with a taller sight or replace the Millet with something with a lower profile? What is involved with a front sight replacement on this pistol? Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

2. Nomad 1

Nomad 1 New Member

Sighting

I am not familiar with the Millett sight you reference. I will however throw in a plug for the SA tech support guys. When I first purchased my SA 1911 I had a number of questions. I sent them an email one evening, contact info from their web site, and they got back to me with a detailed response the next day. If nothing else they seem to be passionate about their product. It's worth a try.

3. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

If you want to keep your present rear sight, then you will have to have the front sight blade replaced with a taller blade. Your front sight blade should be a staked-in sight and would have to be replaced by a gunsmith.

Jim..............

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Yes, if it shoots high you'll need a taller front sight. What front sight to get will depend on whether it's dovetailed or staked on. Springer uses their own proprietary dovetail cut and I know Novaks has them and I think Dawson Precision does as well. If it's a staked on sight it will depend on the style of tenon, be it wide or narrow. Tells us more about the gun and we can help more...

5. badeye

badeye New Member

I would like to keep the front sight,there arent many smiths around here. What i would prefer is to find a suitable replacement for the millett. something maybe low profile that would work with the factory front. Thanks for the earlier response. I put the millett on myself and want to find something that will get the gun zeroed that i could do myself. Maybe this is too tall of an order,i dunno. Eye

6. badeye

badeye New Member

I DONT want to keep the Millett,i dont have the knowledge or equipment to replace a front sight. I would rather replace the rear again with something that will work with the factory front. Maybe im asking for too much,i dunno. Eye

Attached Files:

7. NGIB

NGIB New Member

The picture helped. That Millet looks like it was designed for a "relieved" slide - which is why it's way to tall. I bought a low profile adjustable sight from Dawson Precision that I put on one I had and it worked great with the factory front sight...

8. badeye

badeye New Member

Thanks for the info. I found another sight on Midwayusa. Would you give me an opinoin on this one? Maybe i did the url thing right,im new to all this. Eye

9. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Don't see a link...

10. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I might call Springfield to see if the dovetail is the same on yours and this one - but it probably is.

Nice Springer BTW, used to have one a lot like it until a buddy talked me out of it...

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  11. badeye

badeye New Member

Thanks a million,it does look like the same cut. I may go ahead and order it

12. NGIB

NGIB New Member

You're very welcome, it's why we hang out here and us 1911 guys do stick together - I have 4 right now...