Need advice on refinishing a Mosin stock.

Discussion in 'Engraving & Refinishing' started by mudslinger79, Feb 17, 2011.

1. mudslinger79

mudslinger79 New Member

I have a Mosin 91/30 that's in need of some refinishing. Stocks got basic wear, few scratches and some spots that are flaking off. I have no idea where to begin when it comes to wood work. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Remove ALL metal parts from wood. Get a can of Formby's refinisher. Read directions. Be careful, stuff is more inflammable that an insulted redhead. This is not a stripper, but it disolves and sort of redistributes most finishes. After THOROUGHLY dry, decide if you want an oil finish, or shellac (not varnish, dammit, SHELLAC) which is what they used. If oil, get a bottle of Linspeed. Shellac, visit Home Depot.

daily trivia- Shellac is made from a resin secreted by the Lac insect, dissolved in alcohol.

3. mudslinger79

mudslinger79 New Member

Any sanding required?

4. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

I'd try and keep sanding to a minimum certainly around any markings.

5. Kim

Kim New Member

Mosin stock

I refinished one and had to re-do the whole thing because I didn't get all the cosmoline off. I first removed the stain and polyurethane I put on. I then hung the gun in front of the fireplace. It was amazing how much dripped out of the stock that I thought was cleaned. I then wrapped it in paper towels and put it in the oven at very low heat. Hours later I changed the paper towels and kept going until the towels came out dry. It took several iterations of heating and towel changes to get it out. When it was all out, the stock was very light colored so I had to stain it dark. I believe the stock was birch. The gun turned out BEAUTIFUL and shoots amazingly well. I love it. Good luck and be patient; it's worth the effort! Kim