Need advice on new folder

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by BioInclined, Jan 25, 2012.

1. BioInclined

BioInclined New Member

Well, as it says in the title...
    I would appreciate some guidance on getting a nice new folder. My only guidelines are,
    -under $40 ideally.
    -Sharp(duh) but good sharp that will last. I don't have more than a stone to sharpen right now.
    -Standard ~3"-3.5" blade(sharp edge or tip to hinge)
    -Good grip area, I don't have large hands, they are just sort of thick.
    -Black, just like the look and conceals better. I would be open to dark greys too.
    -Main use would be counter attack/self defense but may cut rope and such in an emergency.
    Here's 2 that caught my eye
    http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-31-000372-Tanto-Knife-Serrated/dp/B002RIU3SW

http://www.southwestgerberknives.co...-Knife-Tanto-Torch-II-G10-SE/flypage.tpl.html

I'm not partial to Gerber, i actually have no preference.
    Thanks in advance for any help every one.

EDIT: Assisted open, for quick deployment.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  2. bkt

bkt New Member

3. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

This is my EDC rotation...

image-411649940.jpg

Zero Tolerance 0302
    CRKT M16-14D
    KaBar Dozier
    KaBar "mule"
    CRKT M16-12M
    KaBar "fin"
    KaBar "warthog" (small tanto to the right)

Unless you just have your heart set on AO, you can get more for the money without it.

The KaBar mule is by far the best value...it's as stout as any knife I own for less than $40.

The warthog is basically just a pocket knife, but then I only paid $10 + s/h.

The ZT is the only A/O pictured, and by far the best overall quality folder that I own, but it was well over $200.

My CRKT's are pretty good, but they are $50-$80, depending on what model you get.

EVERY KaBar I have ever owned, no matter the price, came to me sharp enough to shave....which is why I own SEVERAL. I feel they are very hard to beat for the price .
    Just my .02

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

My favorite EDC knife.
    Note, after some experience and training on the subject, this is one guy who sees no desire for a tactical knife. I simply will not become involved in another knife fight again, ever. Even thinking about a REAL fight for your life knife fight is not for the faint of heart.

ForumRunner_20120125_151750.jpg

I do, however, keep this in my truck...

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

Sorry, attachment failed.... My truck knife... Well crap, I managed to delete the picture somehow. Its a USMC ka-bar.

6. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I assume like this one... :)

image-651297139.jpg

7. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I really like my CRKT Ripple. Not cheap but you get what you pay for and if the real Ripple is above your price point they also sell a Wal Mart version for $30. you can google wal mart ripple for a run down on the differences.

Tack

8. unclebear

unclebear New Member

9. BioInclined

BioInclined New Member

Thanks for the input guys.
    I do not plan to nor would want to engage in a knife fight, BUT, some areas by my house and by my school are not the best. I figured I'm better off being ready. Plus, I've been training in some hand to hand and knife type techniques so it has gotten me more interested.
    I will be looking into those KA-BARs then, I already own this one
    http://www.888knivesrus.com/product...ACK-KRATON-HANDLE-LEATHER-CORDURA-SHEATH.html
    I never would carry that though unless it was a SHTF world or i was camping/hunting like i plan to be this summer.
    I have a "thumb open" now i guess you call it/unassisted which i don't mind. The only reason i would need A/O would be quick deployment and even then, I'm pretty quick with my thumb deploy.

10. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Unless you get an actual AUTOMATIC opener (think button-push), it may be easier to open, but it won't be faster. You must engage the blade itself with your finger before the "assisted" part takes over.

I do have several A/O's however...both types have their virtues.

11. spack762

spack762 New Member

Try coldsteel. Ive had good luck withem. Little more price, but will worth it.

12. BioInclined

BioInclined New Member

Yea, I'm starting to see more reviews on the lockback(thumb open correct?) being really nice. I keep going back to the KA-BAR Mule right now link reason being the handle looks like a nice fit, of course KA-BAR has a solid rep and one guy even mentioned he returned a knife a year after he bought it, and they sent him a new one free. (Lock Pin snapped)
    The grip is important to me since my hands sweat and get hot fast pending temp and the aluminum ones may be textured or patterned, but the one I have now I can feel the slip. So if I am out in the woods I'd like to know I got a solid grip.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  13. trip286

trip286 New Member

That's the one! I posted another pic in a different thread a while back.

To OP, the whole reason I keep the ka-bar in my truck (other than the obvious utility purposes) is because I'm in school also, and in MS it's illegal to carry a gun on educational property, except in one very constrained circumstance.

Tip: if you end up in a knife fight, expect to get cut.

14. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I have two of the mules. Lock up VERY solid. If you are worried about the grip, they are polymer with rubber inserts, but I haven't had any problems hangin' on to it. You should prob handle one first tho...I could see where it might get slick if your hands were wet with certain liquids.

15. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I suppose if one found himself in a "knife fight", he could do well worse than a KaBar fighter, that's for sure.

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

It gets my vote as best all around knife...

These folders being recommended are very nice and would serve the OP well. Unfortunately, a big fixed blade just isn't feasible in all everyday situations.

If it were, there might would be no such thing as folders, I know mine would never leave my belt if that were the case.

17. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Yessir...I would def agree with you on that.

18. Gunslinger82

Gunslinger82 New Member

Best edc knife for the money IMO is the Kershaw Blur. Its an assisted opener, stays sharp, feels solid, comfortable in the hand and pocket, and can get it for about 40 bucks if you shop online.

19. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Kershaw is really good, I agree w/that.

20. BullseyePrecision

BullseyePrecision New Member

Spyderco endura 4 is my edc.