Need Advice on Firearm legality.

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by lulz, Sep 14, 2011.

1. lulz

lulz New Member

So a family member of mine got 2 pistols from one of their friends storage lockers. He went to jail and can no longer own firearms. One of the pistols was offered to me. However, the person who is in jail now is a questionable character. I have no idea if the pistols were stolen or obtained illegally.

What I also don't know is if I go to the Sheriff with this story and in possession of a potentially stolen firearm, how do I know I will be safe from any charges? I would like to own this pistol, but if the risk it too great I'd rather keep my record clean.

Any suggestions?

2. RJMercer

RJMercer New Member

The fees you pay to a local attorney for his counsel on this matter will be significantly less than the costs incurred by spending a decade in club fed. Those pistols might be clean, they might not be clean. Hire a local lawyer and have him find out on your behalf.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Also, some states have a database of stolen firearms that may be accessible to you.

But do go through an attorney.

Welcome to the forum. When you sign in, please go to the "Introductions" area.

4. HeroesTactical

HeroesTactical New Member

LULz,
    The best course of action is to take the firearm to your local sheriff’s office and have an officer run the serial number. Worst case scenario they will take the firearm from your possession. Let them know the story behind the firearm an you will be fine.

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

Agree. I went through this with a computer and dvd player. Not nearly viewed in the same light as a gun, but I lost 100 bucks total (what I paid for the goods) and gained some piece of mind, knowing I was no longer in possession of stolen goods and didn't have to worry about getting busted for it later. It was a really dumb move on my part, I knew that laptop and dvd player were worth more than 100, but I also knew the dude was down on his luck and there was a good chance they were actually his.

6. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

*the following will not be construed as valid legal advice as it is one man's opinion.

I don't know all the gory details of your situation but...

I would not consult an attorney.
    I would not consult law enforcement.
    I would not involve an FFL.

I would trust my gut.
    I would involve myself in a private transaction.
    I would get a written receipt.

You have no foreknowledge of a crime.
    You are not knowingly receiving stolen property.
    Private sales are legal.

Enjoy your new weapon.

7. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Legal advice can only be given by an attorney, if you really want the gun speak to one first so that you fully understand the potential consequences. Being in possession of a stolen gun, or being charged with illegal possession is a serious matter and an expensive one to defend against even when you have no prior knowledge.

8. Jared

Jared New Member

It is really simple, call your local PD or the WA State Patrol tell them you are going to do a private purchase and want to make sure the gun is not stolen before you buy it. They will run the numbers. All the people saying to get an attorney are paranoid.

9. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I am with Jared,
    I would call the local police department and ask for a shift commander. Since if you contact a rookie or someone who had no knowledge regarding the issue or experience. I would tell him the story and ask him if he will run the numbers if you either bring the pistol or just the serial numbers to him prior to buying it. Or come and check either at your location. Unless you have a bunch of idiots as law enforcement officers in your area, they should be more than happy to assist you since you are trying to stay safe and within the law. I can speak like this because I retired with 27+ years in the service. There are good officers and then there are idiots. :rolleyes:

10. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I had someone leave a gun in their hotel room by mistake. The maid freaked out. Anyway, before I returned it to the guest I called the local PD. They were more than happy to run the serial number for me. Then I knew I was not turning over a hot gun. I believe they would have been happy to do it in your situation as well.

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

You should expect that before running the gun thru the NCIC database, office will expect to have the gun "in hand". In the event that there IS a hit on the serial number.

12. vincev

vincev New Member

you didnt mention what the guns are.They might not be worth the possible headache they might cause

13. lulz

lulz New Member

it's a Springfield XD 9mm.

If in fact an officer would want the gun in hand before running the numbers makes me cautious. If it is a hot gun and I'm there while they run the numbers I'm sure my name is going to be recorded somewhere and I wouldn't even want to be mentioned in a stolen gun report even if I was the person who turned it in.

I think I may just pass.

14. GlockStar

GlockStar New Member

You sound paranoid. Call local PD and ask them. In my experience, throw-aways were usually older, less common guns with mismatched bullets and hardly a full magazine lol.

15. Jared

Jared New Member

I see you are in Washington as well, If it is a good deal do not pass upon it because your worried about it being stolen. PM me with your location if we are close I can give you some numbers to call or have the gun ran for you. Hell if its a good enough deal tell your friend Ill take it.