Need advice for .45ACP Purchase

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by JazzDoc, Nov 12, 2012.

1. JazzDoc

JazzDoc Supporting Member Supporter

About to buy a full size 1911 .45ACP. I'm down to three choices - please offer your candid opinion, pros and cons, regarding these options, and thanks in advance:

1) Ed Brown Special Forces, 5 inch

2) Kimber Gold Match II

3) Colt Gold Cup National Match

Thanks.

2. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

Colt.

Cheaper than the Ed Brown and better than the Kimber. Just my opinion.

3. strix

strix New Member

Out of that pick if money is no option I would go with the Ed brown then kimber, I'm having a hard time myself making my mind up between a Ed brown / Wilson or nighthawk

4. magnumman

magnumman New Member

IMO it's 6 of one, Half dozen of the other... And 6 of the other. They are all good guns, better that anything I have. Just decide what features you can't live without.

5. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

In order of preference:
    Ed Brown - Premium quality, premium price. Worth it, if you're in a tax bracket that allows you to indulge in such things.
    Colt - It's a Colt. Easy default choice. When in doubt...
    Kimber - Contrary to the opinions of many, I don't see them as special. I see them as equivalent (give or take) of Springfield armory, but without the great warranty. Not bad, just not special.

6. JazzDoc

Thanks for weighing in, guys! Really appreciated.

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

Kimber generally has a reputation of being overpriced, nothing special, and with some of the ****tiest customer service ever.

Some speak of the "break in" period. Fans will say "oh it's so tight and precision crafted you have to break it in!" Survivors say "screw that, my right hand had better run like a top right out of the box."

That said, I have never shot or owned one, nor do I care to, and the reason why is exactly as I've stated already- they aren't special and they're regarded as overpriced for a reason. I can get what I want, similar, identical, or even better, for cheaper, the same price, or very little more, and be able to trust it right out of the box, have a better warranty, and be treated like an actual VALUED customer by their customer service reps, with almost any other brand.

Ed Brown- damn I wish I had that kind of money.

Colt- all others are just copies.

I own a copy. Look at springfield armory. Mine has hiccuped three times, only when I was feeding it some dangerously out of spec hand loads, which I only did just to see what it would take to choke it.

8. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

I owned one kimber. Never again.

9. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Of the three you have picked, I say COLT GOLD CUP. I have one and it has never let me down. Won a lot of matches with it.

The next 1911 in line for me is the Rock Island MATCH .45. What a great shooting 1911.
    The match version is hard to find, but if you find one, you will not be disappointed.

10. racer_x

racer_x New Member

Your #1 OP, Ed Brown, but that kinda money id look at some Wilson combats too

11. ltcfb118

ltcfb118 New Member

Do you want a Combat gun or a target pistol? I looked at the Colt Gold Match when I purchased my Kimber Tactical HD. I did not like the sights "personal preference ". The Kimber had night sights and just felt right in my hand. It is the best pistol that I have ever owned. I have run 600 to 700 rounds through it and have no regrets. It is my third 1911. I have a AUTO ORDNANCE West Hurley which has been a project, a Springfield GI and my Kimber. I made the decision to step up my investment and am very happy. Good luck with your purchase. I do own a Colt M4 and love it.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  12. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

You picked a kimber over a colt? Youre going to hell.

13. JazzDoc

@ltcfb118: a target pistol that doubles for home defense - not so much a carry pistol. Thanks for the input.

14. ltcfb118

ltcfb118 New Member

I guess I am and I will be well armed. Been to hell already and was armed with a Colt and a Beretta.Lol.

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Colt Gold Cup National Match. < That's a period!

16. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

A lot goes into someone recommending a particular model of pistol. To that everyone has a reason behind their recommendation. I love my SIG 1911 based one its cost:quality ratio. The fit is awesome, it is a superb shooter, very accurate, eats up what I feed it and I know based on my other experiences with the company that their warranty and CS is second to none.

Many say SIGs are costly, In the case of 1911s they are moderate compared to the Wilson's, Ed Brown's, Colts and etc. out there. And it's cost is justified IMO. Last range trip I shot my friends Wilson Combat1911. Other than the trigger job my SIG performed just as well and cost less than half the price.

17. strix

strix New Member

True all guns are accurate, Springfield makes some really nice ones to

18. PC167

PC167 New Member

I guess I'll have to join you than... :-D

19. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I know you want a 1911, but have you looked at a fnp 45? Thats next on my list.

20. JazzDoc

Thanks, 95sniper - no, I want a 1911.