Need advice about whether this is a legit move or not?

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Thematador, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Thematador

Thematador New Member

My cousin lent me his Springfield 9mm handgun, in order for me to take to the range sometime. However, I am only borrowing the said gun and plan to give it back to him in the next month or so.

I live in the State of Virginia and so does he.

I know this maybe somewhat of a dodgy question to ask but is me having my cousin's handgun which is registered to him in my possession for a a limited amount of time legal or not?

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

As long as you are not otherwise prohibited from possessing a handgun (convicted Felon or under a protective order, etc.) no Federal laws have been broken. You would need to consult an attorney in your state who is well versed in State and Federal firearms laws to know for sure.

Remember, the legal advise you get online is worth every penny you paid for it.

3. Thematador

Thematador New Member

Ok thanks, It appears that no state law's on the issue have been broken ether.

Just wondering do you think it would be ok to call up my local state police barrack or court to confirm?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  4. Millwright

Millwright Member

What I take from this question is the antis have won the war. >MW

5. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Virginia does not require the registration of firearms, neither does the fed.gov

6. Thematador

Thematador New Member

Ok so I'm within my perfect legal right to have this Springfield 9mm in my possession?

7. willfully armed

Are you 18 or older? Ever been convicted of a felony? Domestic battery? Had a protection order against you? Legal resident of VA?

8. Thematador

Thematador New Member

Yes
    No
    No
    No
    Yes

So it appears I'm good to go.

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Oh, Lordy- did I miss greeting a fellow Virginian? :eek: Welcome, neighbor!

Virginia does not have registration of ordinary firearms. Neither does the Federal govt. So long as you are not a "prohibited person", that is, one that may not possess a firearm, you are good to go.

You also need to find a good local gunshop that has been in business for a while that can answer questions like this one, and help edumacate you.

There are several of us on here from the Old Dominion- I'm in the Richmond area, others are scattered all over.

10. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I'd like to point out that caution rules the day.

Guns can become trouble with a capitol "T"

when others get involved.

Avoid brandishing, showing it off, taking it anywhere

public besides the range, etc.

Keep it locked away from little hands, especially.

If you do with it only what you stated, perfectly

legal.

Be sure to get to the range, and get in your shooting time

with it, while you have the opportunity.

11. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I think we would all be surprised to discover how limited is the legal knowledge of our well-intentioned law enforcement agencies. In some areas of the law, particularly gun ownership and carrying limitations, police officers just are not the experts that one might assume they should be.

I am not dissing LE, just suggesting that getting legal advice from law enforcement is just a smidge better than getting it here. :)

12. willfully armed

As Chris states, some info from the webs will not be up to par. I typically chastise people for placing their legal well being in the hands of some random stranger with a keyboard and dialup connection.

Police definitely aren't the glossary of legal information that we expect them to be. I've met officers that didn't know their duty weapon was a Glock 22. They only knew glock. 40 Cal. Many officers are ignorant to the spectrum of the law.

Serious questions are better answered by city/county /state attorneys. It is their job to know the law.

But I tell you without any doubt, the information I've given you pertinent to this discussion is 100% accurate.