Need A Thing A Ma Jig?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by TLuker, Jul 19, 2014.

1. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

I'm building a jig for laying down marking lines on tenons for woodworking. I won't go into all the boring details but I need some sort of small metal pin that I can insert into the jig. I need something that is about an 1/8" in diameter and comes to a very sharp point in the center of the pin. A pin that is flat on the end with almost a small needle sticking out would be ideal, but a pin that comes to a very sharp point almost like a pencil would also work. The point will be used to scratch a fine line in wood so the sharper and finer the better. I've seen thousands of such pins but I have no idea where to find just a pin off the shelf like this so are there any ideas?????

It could be a pin for anything. I just need some ideas as to where to look. Thanks... :)

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Use a nail

No offense and none taken

3. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

This pin , is a permanpart of the finished product or some temporary use just to locate the pieces ?

If used as a temporary locating device learther works makes a heavy, duty hand awl for seams on heavy gauge leather with a very comfortable blunt handle .
    And they are quite affordable .

It all depends. On it's function ! Hope that helps ! :)

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Combination squares come with a needle like you described. Price range is $5-$50. You could also buy a scratch awl or an ice pick. You can also get heavy pins with ball ends at craft stores. I have also found that an Exacto knife works quite well.

5. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

It will be permanent and needs to be short (about 3/8" long) but I can cut something to length if needed. It will be inserted in a long square piece of wood with two wooded dowels on the ends. I tried finding a picture of something similar for reference but I couldn't find anything.

A nail won't work because it isn't nearly sharp enough and the point isn't precisely centered. I've seen something similar to what I have in mind I just can't remember what it was?????:confused:

6. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Why not just snap a chalk line ?..................

7. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

I would much rather use a blade for layout lines but I need a centered point for this. I will check my square... That may be where I saw what I've got in mind!!!!

Here is a center finding gauge that is similar to what I want to do (the first little gauge after pressing play and not the one shown):

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQan9qZja_w[/ame]

Rather than a hole in the center for a pencil I want to put two pins in equal distance on each side of center. That would let me scribe two parallel lines and their width would always be in proportion to the thickness of the board. That way I wouldn't have to measure the thickness of the board and then calculate the width of the tenon. So I need a pin that is almost like a short dowel but with a needle sticking out.

And the gauge in that Youtube clip can be modified by putting dowels at various widths on each of the 4 sides of the gauge. That lets you use it on different width boards without all the extra space like in that one. :)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Smaller than 1/8", but sharp- Map tacks. map-tack-3119875.jpg

9. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

Now that's getting close!!! It would have to be the same diameter at both ends to keep the tip centered, and I'm not sure if I can find one with no tapper? But I will look next time I go to the store. :):):)

10. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

How about a 99¢ compass?
    ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1405828102.847333.jpg

No offense and none taken

11. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

Now that will work! Highpower's idea for replacement scribe tips is a great idea but the compass is cheaper. The scribes are also made out of a lot tougher metal and meant for scribing lines in metal. I don't need anything that tough for wood and the compass points will be much easier to cut to length! :)