Need a scope!

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by BigManD, May 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigManD

BigManD New Member

Alright lemme give this a shot, I just got a new .270 and I need a decent scope for it, preferably bushnell or tasco, also open for any suggestions of reasonably priced yet good quality scopes! Any help is appreciated

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

If you can't spring for a Leupold, then get a Redfield in their Revolution line. Leupold revived the Redfield brand a couple of years ago.

Burris may also have something in your price range.

It is not unusual to spend as much, or more, on the optics, than you spent on the rifle.

3. Squawk

Squawk New Member

Buy once, Cry once. Spend the extra money and get decent quality. Bushnell is ok. I'd spring for a Redfield or Nikon Prostaff. Should find both for under $200

4. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

What ranges are you planning on shooting with your rifle?
    What type of budget for optics are you looking at?

Tasco scopes are bottom shelf optics in my opinion,and I would not waste time nor money on them.
    Most scopes that I'd suggest start in the $250 and up range for decent optics. Good glass starts around $500,and great glass starts around $1k.
    With scopes,You get what you pay for!

5. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

6. BigManD

BigManD New Member

Lookin at minimum maybe 125 yds (up north hunting not many long *** shots) and price would like to keep around 200

7. BigManD

BigManD New Member

So I've seen haha Swarovski seems to be the brand with some of the biggest price tags I've seen

8. huffmanite

huffmanite New Member

BigD, visit www.natchezss.com and check what Nitrex TR1 (by Weaver) scopes are still available. TR1 Nitrex scopes are basically Weaver Grand Slams......have same Japanese optics and internals. Nitrex is a discontinued line owned by same company that owns Weaver, so brands lifetime warranty will be handled by Weaver. You will be paying less than 1/2 what the scope used to sell for. Have a couple of the Nitrex TR2 scopes (Weaver Super Slams) and they are darn good.

While at Natchez, might want to check the Weaver 40/44 aspherical lens scopes that are made in Philippines. Price on the aspherical ones have been well discounted. For example, the 3.8-12x44 A.O. should sell for $180 or more and depending on reticle price is around $120-130. Optics in the aspherical lens 40/44 models is quite good. Own one of them, very satisfied with it.

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

10. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

To each his own, but my definition of a "decent" scope would most definitely NOT include Bushnell, Tasco, Simmons, ATN, BSA, Barska, NCStar or anything else in their class.:(

11. running_fool

running_fool New Member

Vortex are great definitely worth looking into! I would set a price and then add $100. That will get you something worth buying.

12. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Never heard of them,and it has 1/8" moa clicks.
    All signs of a cheaply made scope.

Personally,I will only buy proven brands/models of scopes. After 40+ years of shooting firearms,I have learned the hard way at a younger age about buying cheap or no name optics.
    Your just wasting your money on them. Sure,they may work fine for a while,but almost all of them will fail at the most un-appropriate time.

13. locutus

^^^ What Tex said!^^^

14. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

If you're looking at ANY Bushnell, only look at Elite lineup. Elite 3200,4200,6500 Lineup is discontinued, and is now just called Elite.
    Nikon ProStaff is OK as a cheaper budget, but for even better glass, I would would look to Buckmaster or Monarch.
    There's also Weaver V-Classic, Sightron-(I,II,orIII), Vortex.
    I've heard that Mueller is a fine Scope, even tho made in China, but with better QC and great CS.
    I've seen Guys using Lucid on their AR's with a lot of luck, and some of those AR Guys are picky about optics, even when cheap.
    If looking to great glass, then you'll need to step up to Schmidt&Bender, Scarowski(sp), high end Leupold, Doctor, Night Force, US Optics.
    Del

15. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

I'm with TXHillbilly on this one.

Bushnell elites are good scopes for the money.

Vortex scopes are good scopes very clear very bright for the price. Plus they do offer a lifetime guarantee.

Redfields are not all that good. they are cheap because they are made cheap. They are a 2 piece design over time the oring seals will break down and you will lose your gas in the scope that will cause bluring and moisture in your scope. Two piece scopes are also not as strong as 1 piece scopes. My varmint AR runs an 8-32x56mm Sightron SIII in Leupold Mk4 rings ($1k set up). I got mostly Nightforce NSX's

Meuller scopes are decent scopes.

There are a lot of decent priced scopes out there.

16. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

Man didn't take long for Optic snobbery to rear it's FUGLY head.

Just a basic hunting scope that you test once a year shoot a little bit and then hunt maybe firing 6 shots for for a total of about 20 shots a year a $200 scope is just fine.

Weaver 44/40 4-12x44mm Good quality scopes. http://www.opticsplanet.com/weaver-40-44-4-12-x-44-ao-scope.html

Weaver is owned my MEAD who make microscopes and telescopes. They know optics and they make quality stuff.

Sure most of my scopes are $1k+ but I can afford it and that is what I like. Thought back when I was just starting a family and it was buy an scope or buy food I found a cheap scope that fit my budget still have that scope mounted on that rifle Still shoots to POI every time it comes out of the safe even after 20 some years of hunting and 4 kids.

17. locutus

I'm glad you had a happy experience. I've owned close to a dozen of them over the last 50 years and bitterly regretted buying every damned one of them.

If wanting something worth owning makes me a snob, then so be it.

When a new shooter asks a question I will give him an honest answer. Who knows?? Maybe he'll buy a quality item that will last a lifetime and he'll become a snob like me.

18. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

If you noticed everyone was giving him help. Then there is your comment.
    I'm sorry I watched a guy shooting a millet scope at an F-class match, put a serious hurting on guys shooting Nightforce, Sightron SIII, Leupold Mk4's and even Denon's March Scopes. That man had an almost factory rifle and he was only beaten that day by 2 custom guns out of a field of 40 or 50.

But, this is a hunting rifle and the man has a budget of $200.

You didn't even offer a scope to look at. You just offered a snide comment. That is not helping it is just being a snob. I have plenty of high dollar scopes and plenty of high dollar guns.

19. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Even a great guitarist can make a crappy guitar 'sing'. And the spoiled teenager with all the best in gear can't make him great. So your observation of one guy in an F-match class is moot. Barska, and NCStar is still crap though ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.