Need a recomendation for holsters

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Doug1627, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Doug1627

Doug1627 New Member

Hello,

I am currently searching for concealed carry holsters. The holster will be used with a Glock 23. What brands are good? What do you use? Any advice is appreciated.

Thank You,
    Doug

2. Olympicarmsfan

Olympicarmsfan New Member

I carry a Glock G19 in a paddle holster I cant remember the brand name now because its been a few years. I have been looking at Black Hawk tactical holsters as they seem to fit closer to the body. My holster sticks out a little and after looking at how close the black hawk holsters fit to the body Im going to be getting one. I also like the security feature in that when you grab it you push a small button and it releases. Keep us posted.

3. G21.45

G21.45 New Member

Kramer Handgun Leather IWB #3 Horsehide

Kramer #3

4. Doug1627

Doug1627 New Member

Thanks for the responses. There is soo many choices I want to be sure I am well informed before making a purchase.

I like the "inside the waistband" style. Do I need bigger pants for it to fit? I buy my pants a little big but only by an inch.

5. G21.45

G21.45 New Member

No, an extra inch should do; and, you won't get better concealment.

6. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

You can get much better comfort though. Let face it, if a rig is uncomfortable, you'll be less likely to wear it. If not worn, a holster is useless.

7. G21.45

G21.45 New Member

OK, but, 'Why' would it be uncomfortable? I recommended one of the most popular undercover law enforcement holsters on the market - The Kramer IWB #3! I've never heard of this holster bothering anyone. Just the opposite, actually. Greg Kramer can't built them fast enough!

8. coltm4

coltm4 New Member

i use a Galco Summer Comfort for my sig p239. i also wear a belt made my desantis or boston leather. all my pants are one size larger. i'm really not bothered by wearing an IWB. i guess i just got used to it. this rig seems to work for me. my only suggestion is that you don't go cheap. spend a little extra money on a quality holster and you won't regret it.

9. Doug1627

Doug1627 New Member

What do you recommend for comfort?

10. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

11. Stumpy16076

Stumpy16076 New Member

El Paso Saddlery offers a couple choices for IWB-their C-Force might work for you-the Glocks are a bit on the thick side, and the C-Force puts the belt retaining strap away from the slide area. Take a look at www.epsaddlery.com.

12. Doug1627

Doug1627 New Member

Thanks to everyone for the help. I am still torn between one that can be worn on the inside of the belt and the other that sits on the outside.

13. Doug1627

Doug1627 New Member

Turns out a co-worker has a hook up on holsters and other firearm parts. He is offering me a Desantis Cozy Partner inside the waistline holster Brand New in the package for 50$. I found them online for 70$. Does Desantis make a good quality holster?

14. Stumpy16076

Stumpy16076 New Member

I do not have any personal experience with Desantis-I have heard good things about their holsters (as well as the other holster makers mentioned in other postings). If your friend will allow, try the holster for fit and comfort-$50.00 sounds like a great deal to me!

15. Doug1627

Doug1627 New Member

Thanks for the response. I have put it on and worn it around the house a few times. I do not mind it being there. One downfall I found is the rough lining. Are all holsters like that?

16. Southern6er

Southern6er New Member

Doug, I wear IWB belts as I feel (MY OPINION) they conceal better with my body build and clothing style.

I have 2 IWB holsters for my 1911 - a Milt Sparks Versa Max II and a Nick Mathews #1.

Comfort for IWB will be based on holster design and material, but also pant size and gun size. Thicker guns may be a bit harder to carry IWB. That is one reason I love my 1911. It is a 4" barrel, single stack and fairly thin. Glocks tend towards the wider side.

Here is my VM2 (www.miltsparks.com) in horsehide/shark in Cordovan:

[​IMG]

Here is my Nick Mathews #1 and dual mag holder in black leather (www.nmholsters.com):

[​IMG]

If you want comfort, go leather. If you are using this for IDPA or something, kydex may be an option. I've seen a few that have a kydex holster but backed by a leather sweat guard and are actually quite comfortable from what I've heard. I can't recall the names right off hand.

IMO, you will get what you pay for, so don't be afraid of buying a quality holster like an Alessi, Sparks, Delfatti, etc. But also realize that for some of them, there is significant wait time involved. I know Top Gun Supply had VM2's in stock earlier today, but they go QUICK!

17. Doug1627

Doug1627 New Member

Wow, the holster pictured looks much nicer than the Desantis. Do you have any pics of the inside or lining, if there is one?

18. Southern6er

Southern6er New Member

It is just boned leather. Both fit my 1911 like a glove. I can try to shoot some this weekend. I don't have my holster on right now - I'm at work and guns cannot be brought in (federal regulation).

19. Doug1627

Doug1627 New Member

Eh, its alright. I will check one out at a nearby store.