Need a New BackPack

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by Dillinger, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Okay, so here's the deal. I own five backpacks, all for various needs and applications. I got three for bug out types, I got a heavy gear bag for storm duty ( Tactical Tailor ) and I bought a Victorinox for Urban Travel.

The Victorinox has turned out to be a piece of crap after a year of use.

What I am looking for is a single shoulder style, urban travel pack that will allow me to carry a few pounds of basic gear ( like my 1911 when needed ) and a few daily essentials like powerbars, my Zune/Headphones, a soda or two and my keys.

I don't want any type of aluminum frame, I don't want any multiple day pack that will allow me to pack enough gear for a bug out scenario and I sure as hell don't want any Messenger Bag like the types that have become popular thanks to the infamous Jack Bauer.

So - knowing that. Do any of you have any real suggestions for a reliable, well built, durable, preferably with heavy duty YKK zippers, backpack for the urban environment?

Thanks in advance -

JD

2. fin24000

fin24000 New Member

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Thanks for the recommendation Fin - I will check that one out...

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Thanks guys - I had hit several of those sites already - I was kind of looking for the magic bullet "I have THIS model and it's the best damn backpack out there". LOL

Thanks for all the links. I will funnel through them tonight and this weekend before making a decision.

5. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

I've got a large North Face that I've used for backpacking for years. It literally has carried close to a hundred pounds of stuff over thousands of miles. Every trip that it has been on, it has been stuffed to capacity. It's over 15 years old and hasn't needed a single repair. It has never busted a seam, strap or buckle. I'd buy another North Face pack without hesitation.

I've seen many other brands fail, often times in mid trip.

That's the best I can do for you.

6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I have a big ass Jansport, that has carried 2 laptops(Macbook Pro 15", and a 15" HP laptop) 8 books, 3 1" 3ring binders, cords two mice and a 102oz camel back bladder, cell phone, 2 1L Mt. Dew bottles, and plenty of pens and pencials for a good sized college calss. I have had one problem but that was me who kept pulling on a cord and I pulled it right out of the shoulder strap. I forget the name.

this one at REI is close to what mine looks like.

Also look into 5.11 tactical there stuff is built ARMY tough. Plus I think if you spend over $75 you get a free knife and it is a nice knife.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  7. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

Go to a pro camera store or online at bhphoto.com and check out some of the photo packs. They are designed to haul heavy gear and are very durable. Look at Tenba, Lowepro, and some others...

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I am going to brave the trip into Seattle to the Super REI ( their flagship store ) this weekend and try out most of the ones mentioned and see what I can find. There are a couple on the list that I hadn't researched yet, so I do appreciate the input.

I'll post the one I end up getting in case anyone else is looking for the same solution down the line....

9. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

Have you checked out anything from Kelty? I have a Redtail 1800 that works well for me. I can pack 2 days worth of stuff for camping but it it's still small enough for daily use.

Their "Hub" model is a little more compact for day to day use, but the prie tag might turn you off. It did me.
    Just a thought.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  10. Drefizzle

Drefizzle New Member

I have a sling backpack made by Condor. If you dont mind the camo its perfect for smaller needs. Plus I love the M.O.L.L.E straps.

Link:
    Condor Crye Multicam Sling Pack