Need a little help

Discussion in 'Smith & Wesson Forum' started by KimberFan, May 25, 2013.

1. KimberFan

KimberFan New Member

I have this S&W .38 Special, it has a cracked grip and I wanted to replace it but
    I'm having a little issue locating the correct ones. It's a "J" frame according to the serial number but, the replacement grips I got for it come up short along the bottom and on the sides...can anyone offer some help on what would be the correct replacements? I appreciate it!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Kimber can we see the full gun? From what I can see it almost looks like a K Frame? But can not tell without seeing the complete weapon.

3. KimberFan

KimberFan New Member

It very well could be, I'm just going off the serial number on the bottom, it stated a "J" which I thought was the model.
    Here's the pistol.
    [​IMG]

4. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Kimber,

That is a J Frame!

Did you specifically order those grips for your S&W J Frame. They are definitely not factory grips. Only a thought, I think they probably are for some company's similar copy of a S&W J Frame. Could possibly even call their model a J Frame since that is just a size designation. Which would explain why the dimensions are different. I noticed they also do not fit on the sides at the top. Your pistol is a J Frame. I have never known an original set or set made for a S&W J Frame to be that way.

By the way NICE J FRAME!

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  5. KimberFan

KimberFan New Member

Thank You, Sniper. I appreciate the help, this info helps. I bought them from grip company out of N.C. online. Do you or anyone know a link or place I can get a good set of proper replacement grips for this? I'm not a revolver man and could use the info. It doesn't have to be a pearl set either. Thanks for the compliment as well!

6. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

KimberFan,

As of a week ago last Tuesday my LGS had one set of direct replacements for the grips that are cracked. If you want I will check on them for you Monday. They closed about 20 minutes ago or I would do it now. They only had the one set, so let me know soon.

7. KimberFan

KimberFan New Member

I sure would appreciate that! Please let me know. Thank You!

8. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I will check when they open around 10 AM Monday.

9. KimberFan

KimberFan New Member

Doc. Not to worry! I found some in my area here too. I appreciate you stepping up for me. Thank You!

10. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Not a problem. I'm glad you found something.

11. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

OP- did you get your grip? I've got a J frame wood grip somewhere in the house. Mine came w Pachymr grip and it is worth it.

These guns recoil more than you'd think and a good grip is essential.

PS: Sweet Model 60 - couldn't spot one mark on it.