Need a Jerky Recipe

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by GunGal, May 24, 2011.

1. GunGal

GunGal New Member

Whats your best Jerky making recipe?

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

3. steve666

steve666 New Member

This is my favorite:
    Beef Jerky
    Ingredients:
    1 pound boneless top round steak or London broil, trimmed of fat
    ¼ cup liquid smoke
    ¼ cup soy sauce
    ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
    1½ teaspoons kosher salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    ½ teaspoon garlic powder
    ½ teaspoon onion powder
    ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste

Preparation:Wrap beef in plastic wrap and freeze 30 to 60 minutes until firm, but not rock hard. (This makes it easier to slice evenly.) Using a sharp knife, slice the beef across the grain into thin strips about ¼” thick.
    Place liquid smoke, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper in a large zip-top freezer bag. Seal and squish to combine. Place beef strips in the marinade, re-seal, and toss to coat. Open bag, squeeze out all the air, seal, and refrigerate for 12 hours or overnight.
    Preheat oven to 250o F.
    Drain meat strips from marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Place a baking rack inside a jellyroll pan. Arrange beef strips on the rack in a single layer with room in between for air circulation. Bake for about 4 hours, until dry to the touch. Remove from oven and let air-dry in a cool dry place for another 24 hours.
    Store in a covered container or ziptop bag.
    Yield: about ¾ pound beef jerky

Or try one of the ones here: Beef Jerky Recipes, via Beefjerky.com

4. GunGal

GunGal New Member

Exactly what I was looking for!!

Thanks so much! Exactly what I was looking for! Got to get the supplies and get to making some! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :D

5. mmszbi

mmszbi New Member

My recipe is very similar to above, tho I add a half cup of brown sugar and chipotle Tabasco instead of the cayenne. Makes for some awesome jerky with venison and elk too. I don't really think you can get it wrong, no matter what ya do!