Need a gun safe

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by Kage0113, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Kage0113

Kage0113 New Member

Hey everyone, I would like to get a gun safe. I only have my m&p, but want an ar 15 soon. I need something kinda cheap. Yes, I know, something as valuable as a firearm needs a perfect safe, but as a college student I can't afford a glamorous safe, and something is better than nothing. I would prefer something that bolts to the floor. $150 is the most I want to spend just for a safe to hold my handgun. I won't be getting the AR for a while so the small safe will serve me well. Maybe just a dead bolt for my closet? What would you suggest?

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

3. Jusselin

Jusselin New Member

American Security makes some nice safes, but they run about $900

4. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Not being an azz or anything but what part of
    did you not understand?

5. Jusselin

Jusselin New Member

I must have misunderstood the OP i thought he was talking about keeping an AR15 in this safe as well, in that case i have a hand gun safe here at my shop that i can ship to you for $150 and it bolts to the floor of either your vehicle or under your bed, what ever you would like, if you want i can PM you some pictures

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  6. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

Sportsman's Warehouse locally had the Stack-On metal gun cabinet for $90.00, IIRC it was good through the 3rd of Dec. Same thing on the Stack-On gun safe, they had a fairly inexpensive 8 or 9 gun safe for $250.00
    Im looking for a safe as well, We have a few companies locally that made them.
    Good luck

7. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

My son just bought another stack-on at Dicks. It's a 10 gun, I believe, and it bolts to the wall. He stores his ammo and mil surplus rifles in it.Cost was about $144

8. Highpower

Highpower New Member

I don't know if you would be interested in something like this but...

I found this 'drop box' at a local locksmith shop for $50.00.
    It is made of HEAVY gauge steel and employs a 'safe deposit' locking system that requires 2 different keys to open, and has a 'relocker' built into it as well. Not visible in the pictures here, but there is also a heavy steel plate welded inside the box below the 'drop slot' at the top of the box. The plate is angled downward and 'toothed' at the rear to prevent fishing (inserting a wire in the slot, to try to hook the contents inside) and only leaves enough space for paper to drop through the slot.

It could easily be bolted to the floor or wall studs if you desire. I got this one to use as a vehicle safe. For what it's worth... :)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Kage0113

Kage0113 New Member

Quick update. I am going to have between $500-600 to spend on a safe. Recomendations?

10. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

My son's main safe is also a stack-on, a 24 gun unit.Don't plan on that exact number, though.Also bought at Dicks for $499, as it was a display model. Be aware, this thing weighs in at 500+ pounds!!Plan on at least 2-3 guys to maneuver!With your budget, you should be able to get a very decent safe..

11. m72law

m72law New Member

dont count out a good used gun safe/locker....i bought a few (lockers) from a friend of a friend and got all 3 lockers 150.00bucks and between all three will hold 40+ rifles...check your news papers & places like craigs list for safes also...i bought a nice homak (36guns) for 100.00bucks off of craigs list a while back...it dont hurt to ask around either...only thing i hate was the time me & the guy i worked for was doing a job for a homeowner and they had just bought the house...she had a big like new browning safe sitting in her garage and i asked her about it and she said her old man was wanting 300bucks for it...of course i didnt have the money right then...but a few days later got up the cash & of course her old man gave the safe to a friend :/...dicks sporting goods is a good place for safes if ya got to have a new one...my father n law bought a 18gun safe/locker (stack-on) for 120.00bucks from there a few weeks back..of course it was on sale....im so going to buy there 45 gun safe they have for 1000.00 bucks when i get my tax check :)...thanks to this C&R ffl i have have to spend more money :D