Need a Cure for a Slippery Henry

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by OldEagleEars, Dec 6, 2012.

1. OldEagleEars

OldEagleEars New Member

I recently bought a new Henry Golden Boy .22 lever gun and while I love the appearance of the thing as well as how nicely it handles, I do have a problem that someone here may be able to assist with. The rifle has a beautiful brass butt-plate on the stock and while this is a lovely thing to look at, when you mount the gun to your shoulder and try to get a firm shooting position that chunk of brass slides all over the place, spoiling your aim. I don't want to replace the plate but I would like to find something to fit over it that would give more purchase when in shooting position. Something rubbery that could be slipped on and off is what I envision; and if it could also be used on the butt of my Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 that would be a welcome bonus.
    Anyone know of such a thing? I welcome your suggestions.

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Pick up a slip on recoil pad for it. It will add a bit to the length of pull, but it will certainly be grippier. As far as the M&P, there are rubber recoil pads made for AR's as well. You'd be hard pressed to find a one size fits all.

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Or use some non-slip tape on the butt plate. I had that problem with my Mini-14 so I stippled the butt plate.

4. Curlyjoe_99

Curlyjoe_99 New Member

I'd lean toward 357's idea simply because I think that the tape could pull the protective finish from the butt-plate or stock. I have seen a stick on rubber pad that you trim to fit and while the shop owner said they she had sold many of them, a few customers came back to say how the glue messed with their finishes. just my thoughts

5. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Curlyjoe_99 is exactly right. But you don't want it on the stock, just the metal butt plate. A slip-on recoil pad would work but they are often made for thicker/bigger stocks than found on your rifle. Plus if you leave the slip-on pad on you run the risk of it discoloring or removing the finish from the stock. No problem though if you don't leave it on the rifle when not in use. You could have a gunsmith do some checkering on your butt plate. That would look nice and be functional. Or stipple your own butt plate.

6. Billy9mm

Billy9mm Member Supporter

Look at a auto parts store or walmart for a little square pad that you lay on the dash of your car that keeps cell phones and such from sliding, they will stick and peel off with no residue, just trim it to fit, it is only about a 1/16th of an inch thick. One pad will do 2 or 3 butt plates. Give it a try they worked for me.

7. OldEagleEars

OldEagleEars New Member

Billy9mm - I know the stuff you are referring to; used it to hold small wooden parts for sanding and larger ones for routing. Never thought of using it, thanks a bunch!
    And thanks to the rest of you, I'm still going to look for more traditional butt-pad that installs and removes easy since I am loathe to mess up all that shiny brass (old Army habits die hard) and will also keep the possibility of having checkering done to the plate in mind. We don't have many gunsmiths around here and those that I would trust are booked up until after I'm probably going to be dead. Thank you to all!

8. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

You might consider one of those lace-on leather butt plate covers. They look pretty cool and give it a cowboy look and feel to it.

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

There ya go ;)

10. magnumman

magnumman New Member

Do you know the best place to get these? Maybe a cheek rest/ammo carrier. I want to dress up my marlin a little bit.

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Check ebay - search for CAS or SASS - There are a couple Cowboys who sell there.

12. magnumman

magnumman New Member

13. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

If you want to take the time you can registor here & place a WTB in the classifies --Guys are great about helpin out - we have sum great Cowboy leather guys ;)

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

14. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

Went with a leather butt plate cover on my Lever Carbine. It has a soft, non slipping piece of leather covering the butt plate. Looks nice and works well.

[​IMG]

15. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I'm going to go with the leather on my 1886 45/70. It has a steel butt plate and is a little too short length of pull for us so I am going to have my son make one and build in a pad.

16. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

I'd recommend www.levergunleather.com For about $70 you can have a plain butt cover that will solve your problem and dress up you rifle as well. I doubt that anyone makes a slip on pad that will fit your rifle. Lever does beautiful work, but it takes a few months to get it. You have to trace the outline of your stock in order to get a perfect fit. Maybe someone else has a better idea. This is what he did for me on my old 94 Winchester 38-55.
    [​IMG]

17. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

You can put a strip of skate board tape on the brass butt plate. I doubt the adhesive will scar the brass. Goo Gone will clean it up whenever you remove it or replace it...

18. OldEagleEars

OldEagleEars New Member

Man, I really like the idea and the look of that leather butt-cover! There are a couple of leather workers around here I'm going to check with but will be using the rubber non-slip piece for now. Thanks a bunch!

19. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have never used a leather butt cover. I have used an elastic butt cover/ammo holder. I didn't remove it for quite a while after I installed it. When I did remove it, there were a bunch of sticks and dirt under the cover. I would take the cover off after every few hunting trips to make sure there is no nasty stuff under there. I was lucky! Old English scratch remover got all the scratches off my gun.

Speaking of luck. I create my own luck when removing scratches. When I get a new gun with a wood stock the first thing I do is wipe the stock down with Old English scratch remover for light colored wood. Since the oil has already pigmented the entire stock when I do scratch the stock one or two light applications covers any scratches on my wood stocks. I have several guns that are over 40 years old. The wood stocks all look like new due to Old English scratch remover.

20. GaryL

GaryL New Member

Slippery Golden Boy...

Hello,
    Yesterday my wife shot her Golden Boy for the first time and experienced the same problem with a slippery butt plate. Answer: Since there are not slip-on rubber pads available that will not make the stock longer my answer is to find some rubberized drawer liner and sew a chunk of it on a light weight jacket on the correct shoulder ...that should stop the slip.