Firearms Talk banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
2,492 Posts
Ammo came in today. 100 rounds of ball. Found two rounds that appear to show artifacts from firing. Thoughts? This is supposed to be new ammo. Clearly been in storage, which is fine, but i would never reload these two cases. View attachment 243011
View attachment 243012

Idk, bro...if I got ammo like that I'd be p*ssed. If I were you I'd give every round a thorough inspection. Obviously, the ones with visible damage are no good. I'd be suspicious of the whole lot.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Idk, bro...if I got ammo like that I'd be p*ssed. If I were you I'd give every round a thorough inspection. Obviously, the ones with visible damage are no good. I'd be suspicious of the whole lot.
Yeah, thats what i did. Ammodotcom got back to me already. Said those are artifacts from seating the bullet and should not affect the round....
IDK if i buy that.
I may just save those two and pull for the bullets later.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My first reaction was pressure dent, from too much lube during resizing.

Hard to tell from the pics, but they almost look like cuts, not dents.

I would not be happy, either way.

Bullets, powder and primers can be salvaged, but not what was expected during purchase. New means NEW.

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
Ammo came in today. 100 rounds of ball. Found two rounds that appear to show artifacts from firing. Thoughts? This is supposed to be new ammo. Clearly been in storage, which is fine, but i would never reload these two cases.
I wouldn't ever fire them, either, myself. After all, brass walls are only so thick. Those don't look like minor scuffs, rather they look like deep gouges that have gotten to who knows how close to the inner wall.

Certainly warrants going over every single round with a fine-toothed comb, looking for defects, dents, differences in weight, differences in alignment, etc. Apparently the seller didn't do any of that. Who knows how many other rounds in that batch have some issue that'll affect performance or safety.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Yeah, sizing dent it what i initially thought too, but they are very deep dents. I did find rust on many of the rounds that make me think they were belted at some point. Im not familiar with belt fed 50, i wonder if these dents could be from an initial chambering in a mg?

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
2,492 Posts
Yeah, sizing dent it what i initially thought too, but they are very deep dents. I did find rust on many of the rounds that make me think they were belted at some point. Im not familiar with belt fed 50, i wonder if these dents could be from an initial chambering in a mg?
I was an 0331 M60 infantry machine-gunner in the Marines and later a weapons platoon NCO...so I've extensively fired (both in and out of combat) belt-fed 7.62s and M2 50 BMG...and can't recall ever seeing cuts or tears in the brass. Small dents might occur with rough treatment and the shock of the firing and ejection process. The links on the belt can leave scratches (or rust over time) on the casings and age can discolor any brass cartridge.

You've got a brand new expensive high-end 50-cal weapons system...just be careful what you rack in the chamber. The ammo is easier to replace than the weapon.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Upon inspection: have to scrounge a couple hex head set screws for the muzzle brake. Otherwise, evrything seems to be in good working order. I am somewhat suspect of the firing pin, it looks a little off. I may try to find a replacement, but it looks as if it will function.
I went ahead and ordered reloading equipment.
Lee set with a press, priming die, sizer and seater. Separate crimp die, bullet sizing die for pull downs. RCBS case trimmer for large cartridges.
I think thats all i need.
Hope to get scope mounted today if i can find my wheeler kit.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Further investigation. No set screws on the muzzle brake. It was a locking nut. The glock magazine takedown tool worked so i could clock and tighten the brake.
Scope on and torqued... i hate scope leveling...

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Further investigation. No set screws on the muzzle brake. It was a locking nut. The glock magazine takedown tool worked so i could clock and tighten the brake.
Scope on and torqued... i hate scope leveling...
View attachment 243125
That, is NOT a good squirrel hunting set up........

It is good for....never-mind.......

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I like the Accuracy International offerings.....

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
The wife informed me of my weekend plans last night. It would appear that includes hauling off brush piles, not zeroing my new rifle.
Next weekend is a trip to lake Powell... hmmm, you think Utah frowns on waterborne target shooting?
Sounds like the wife plans and you execute the plan. Oh, that's right, you're probably married, LOL!!

61 - 80 of 83 Posts