Firearms Talk banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
The rifle, as with every Steyr firearm ever made, is of absolutely THE best quality you can imagine. I have handled one, but not shot it - rules are different over here - plus we weren't on a range either. The workmanship was sublime, and made the Barrett next to it look like a Serbu. No stampings anywhere that I could see, just machined components all the way.

Trust me, that price is giving it away.

Buy it and run.

The scope should be used on some kind of a clunker truck rifle, although they USED to be pretty good when they were totally made in Japan - Hongpan, not so good.
Thanks for that. It does seem like a good deal, the only hitch is that they aren't able to tell me how many rounds are through it.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I would never classify a Pentax scope as decent. The glass is OK, but the internals are pretty cheap.
Okay... i bought the darn thing. Now, scope and rings. Mind you, not gonna be doing any competition with it. Something decent though. I see the obvious candidates, Steiner, nightforce, most lists have a vortex and a couple even have a burris.
What say ye?

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Okay... i bought the darn thing. Now, scope and rings. Mind you, not gonna be doing any competition with it. Something decent though. I see the obvious candidates, Steiner, nightforce, most lists have a vortex and a couple even have a burris.
What say ye?
Budget would be the first question.
Good scopes aren't cheap, and cheap scopes aren't good!

What range are you wanting to shoot with it?
You don't have to break the bank, but you do need a scope that can take the punishment that the 50 dishes out.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
$$$... I want to stay under $1000. Targets out to 1000 yards.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
You can get a decent, well made scope in that price range. Look at some of these -

They also have the 3-24x scope on sale, but I personally think the reticle in it sucks.

This Bushnell is a great scope, just a little dated and has been on sale lately for $750+.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Thanks, i was just looking at the email from Midway. I didnt even know Cromson trace made optics.
I'll take a looksie.

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
2,492 Posts

I sold my M99 a long time ago and got about what I paid for it. Good luck finding a "cheap" one. I actually liked the M82 semi-auto better. It went good with the Shiner bock.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·

·
2,492 Posts
View attachment 242819

I sold my M99 a long time ago and got about what I paid for it. Good luck finding a "cheap" one. I actually liked the M82 semi-auto better. It went good with the Shiner bock.

View attachment 242820

EDIT Sorry, that's what I get for surfing the thread too fast. Good luck with the Seyr, very nice boom stick...and you got it at a reasonable price.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
EDIT Sorry, that's what I get for surfing the thread too fast. Good luck with the Seyr, very nice boom stick...and you got it at a reasonable price.
Thanks. I sure hope so. Its funny though. Ammo to feed it hasnt really gone up too much and is all over the place. I was able to pick up 100 rounds of LC ball for $3.30 per round.
I need to get the setup to reload though, if im gonna shoot it a lot.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Okay. Gun shipped today. Should be here Monday. Ammo here on tuesday.
Still looking at scopes.
Gettin excited. Hoping the old junk cars are still out on the "range"
Hands up, don't shoot!! Glad we probably live out of range. Is it an assault rifle? NO, it's a hunting rifle.

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
Nice-looking gun.

Never have shot one. In my mind, I imagine it'd go better with a half-dozen Excedrin and a belt o' whiskey.

Buddy's got one. I expect that at some point he'll haul it out of the safe, give me a call, and we'll go looking for a few bottles of the Shiner's to see if your theory works too. I'm easy.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Nice-looking gun.

Never have shot one. In my mind, I imagine it'd go better with a half-dozen Excedrin and a belt o' whiskey.

Buddy's got one. I expect that at some point he'll haul it out of the safe, give me a call, and we'll go looking for a few bottles of the Shiner's to see if your theory works too. I'm easy.
I've shot a Barret twice and that was enough for me. A friend was a Marine sniper in Desert Storm 1 and he has two Barrets. He believes in them and has used them on what were once people. I think we should be able to buy and own automatic weapons but NOOOOOOO. I can fire my Mini-14 so fast it might as well be one. That was off topic but I hope you enjoy that cannon. They have their place.

·
2,492 Posts
Nice-looking gun.

Well...I've said it before...firing is a trigger-pull event. If you're prone, lots of ground disturbance from the muzzle brake. Recoil is manageable. Fun to shoot and impressive...but awfully expensive. And let's face it, they are not exactly practical firearms for most civilian applications. I have since--sensibly--sold both of them, having bought them with a minor windfall.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Ammo came in today. 100 rounds of ball. Found two rounds that appear to show artifacts from firing. Thoughts? This is supposed to be new ammo. Clearly been in storage, which is fine, but i would never reload these two cases.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts