Firearms Talk banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Supporting Member
12,420 Posts
Cliff
There is just something about the Bolt and Chamber of the Bull Pup 50s
being even along the side of my face and head!:( With all the power a 50 BMG has! With that said I guess you wouldn't suffer if a catastrophic event occurred next to your head!
Probably no suffering at all. Just need to burry you without a Head.
Just something about them that would keep me thinking when shooting one!:p
I do not have a 50BMG. So for now. Many years ago Ronnie Barrett offered me a Barrett M-82 Demo that was back at the Factory for $3200.00 Wished I would have jumped on the deal. Of course 15 years ago that was still a lot of money! So I will settle with my 338 Lapua Magnum. It is a Savage with a Leupold M-4 on it and it is amazingly accurate. Using Sierra 250 Gr. BT Match King Rounds in it.
Once I accumulated some used Brass for it by shooting some of the store bought rounds that came with the Rifle, I am presently reloading it for $1.47 a round! Don't shoot it much but sure like the Rifle.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I usually just shoot my .177 Gamo with 4X scope out the sun-room window at tree rats, 'yotes and such. Now and then, if distance is an issue, either an M193 or M855 bullet with fly out the window. The wife might not like the additional noise from a 50BMG. She's good about things but prolly not about the noise, pricing, and price of ammo. She's still researching her newly inherited FN 1900. It does have some neat history. So does the 50BMG. Maybe that would help justify one.....it's all about the history dear, the history.......

·
Supporting Member
12,420 Posts
Southernguns

Just thought I would add a little safety information since it had not been mentioned.
And for those who are not familiar with the 50 BMG Rifles, is the Muzzle Blast even with the Brake being on the weapon.
At the Sniper Schools we have to educate the Spotters as well as the Shooters. The Spotter must lay right up tight against the side of the shooter, on the shooters strong hand side of the weapon. Because on most all of them the pressure from the blast coming off both sides of the weapon comes to the rear. And in a 30 to 40 Degree angle from the Muzzle. Mostly fired from a support tripod or prone, it also can blow debris up off the ground like a "mini rotor wash"! So if the Spotter is too far away from the Shooter , or if anyone else is in the direct facinity to either side it can create a serious issue. So the shooter needs to be very careful if shooting on a civilian range with others present.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Southernguns

Just thought I would add a little safety information since it had not been mentioned.
And for those who are not familiar with the 50 BMG Rifles, is the Muzzle Blast even with the Brake being on the weapon.
At the Sniper Schools we have to educate the Spotters as well as the Shooters. The Spotter must lay right up tight against the side of the shooter, on the shooters strong hand side of the weapon. Because on most all of them the pressure from the blast coming off both sides of the weapon comes to the rear. And in a 30 to 40 Degree angle from the Muzzle. Mostly fired from a support tripod or prone, it also can blow debris up off the ground like a "mini rotor wash"! So if the Spotter is too far away from the Shooter , or if anyone else is in the direct facinity to either side it can create a serious issue. So the shooter needs to be very careful if shooting on a civilian range with others present.
Yep... this is no bueno at open ranges out here full of cinder, bits of glass, and whatever else has hit the dirt in the last decade.

·
Premium Member
11,549 Posts
Southernguns

Well demonstrated in this video, as to why you don't want to be in the pressure zone.

And for the truly sick and demented........

Same concept with a tank.

The pressure coming out of that brake on the .50 is no joke, and that's why most ranges here, rather than having enough back stop, won't let you fire them. Only one need me that does, you are renting the entire rifle range, for yourself, which comes to slightly more than the drive to to one I know if in Ohio, for safety reasons.

firing my ex girlfriend's husband's Barrett or her Serbu, in the range area of the pasture, with a small mountain as a back stop (Nope, dead serious. Their farm is in the hill country south of Edinboro, and yhe Eastern ridge along the back of the property, part of a small mountain, is their backstop.), it's best to watch where you shoot from, and where you park, because it will look like you tried to strip the paint of your vehicle, if you are too close, That or, if there is any manure in the flight path, it will hit your car, when firing from the deck.

We have tested the power of the gases from the brakes a few times.2 10 pound bags of flour laid next to the brake, and the line looks like it just went through an industrial cocaine manufacturing accident. Head of cabbage, instant coleslaw. Placed a used ballistic gel block by it once, tore the hell out of it, after also placing it "Dpwn range" in the path of the pressure. Have pictures here somewhere, of all the debris on it, and some IN it, afterward.

If I find them, I'll post them.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
Well demonstrated in this video, as to why you don't want to be in the pressure zone.

And for the truly sick and demented........

Same concept with a tank.

The pressure coming out of that brake on the .50 is no joke, and that's why most ranges here, rather than having enough back stop, won't let you fire them. Only one need me that does, you are renting the entire rifle range, for yourself, which comes to slightly more than the drive to to one I know if in Ohio, for safety reasons.

firing my ex girlfriend's husband's Barrett or her Serbu, in the range area of the pasture, with a small mountain as a back stop (Nope, dead serious. Their farm is in the hill country south of Edinboro, and yhe Eastern ridge along the back of the property, part of a small mountain, is their backstop.), it's best to watch where you shoot from, and where you park, because it will look like you tried to strip the paint of your vehicle, if you are too close, That or, if there is any manure in the flight path, it will hit your car, when firing from the deck.

We have tested the power of the gases from the brakes a few times.2 10 pound bags of flour laid next to the brake, and the line looks like it just went through an industrial cocaine manufacturing accident. Head of cabbage, instant coleslaw. Placed a used ballistic gel block by it once, tore the hell out of it, after also placing it "Dpwn range" in the path of the pressure. Have pictures here somewhere, of all the debris on it, and some IN it, afterward.

If I find them, I'll post them.
Demo Ranch, cool. I fallow him. Have not seen that video though. Makes for a good demonstration on this subject.. Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
11,549 Posts
Demo Ranch, cool. I fallow him. Have not seen that video though. Makes for a good demonstration on this subject.. Thanks for sharing.
Funny part is, I didn't even see one of his videos until a little over 2 years ago. Knew of him through his other channels, Vet Ranch, and Off the Ranch, that one going back to when it was just listed as Matt Kerricker, and only had the video of the Lab playing with the deer, in the back yard.

Didn't know about Demo Ranch, until he mentioned it in an OTR video.

Don't really watch a lot of gun content on the platform. More car and bike related stuff generally, as it's tied to my business.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Southernguns

No worries. I've shot one and see no need to own one unless the zombies get much worse....

·
Supporting Member
12,420 Posts
Southerngun,

You are correct! At this point I have no need for a 50 BMG unless just for the coolness of it! And yes I like them obviously! Even if things get real bad, I like many here have what I need for about any situation!
My favorite statement is: "They can run but they cant hide"!;)

·
Premium Member
11,549 Posts
Ok, so. No biggie..BUT. Will an AR15 lower withstand a 50bmg upper?? Thats a big jump... Sniper03, question
Depends on the lower, and its quality level. I'd run one on an aluminum lower, but plastic\polymer, I'd pass.

I know someone who runs one on his Troy with no issues, another person with an Anderson, same.

Would I try one on a Polymer 80 lower? Only from behind cover, with a long string.

And yes, I always think about the .50 BMG uppers, the same way. What I hear in my mind is this.

"Yeah, I want to fire off several anti material rifle rounds, from FMJ to ROFUS, with the back of the bolt 2 inches from my face, via a small explosion, hooked to the low cost, AR frame I have at home, that barely stands up to my .50 Beowulf rounds I hand load. What's the cheapest option Y'All have for sale here?"

There's a reason I've always said, if I buy one, I'm not dicking around. I'll go Serbu or Barrett, likely Barrett, because he's been making them for almost as long as I've been around, and has a record to match on quality and safety.

My fingers and face are worth more than $3,200 to my, both in principle and actual cost. The dental work on the left side alone, is more than that, and that was back in 1994.

And in both cases, the lowers that my friends have run have held up to regular doses of a few rounds of .50 BMG, maybe 1,200 each. It was just to get them shooting the caliber, before upgrading to a dedicated rifle, with a much higher price tag. Heavy use, the Barrett she owns, and the Serbu her husband owns, come out, the $1,300 uppers get put away (Yes, they have had them that long. I was dating her, when she bought hers, and I've been with my wife going on 19 years. He bought his, from a mutual friend, 3 years later, for $1,400. Both bought, and set up, dedicated lowers, a decade ago.)

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Well hell. Finding one of these in stock is a B! I mean, i understand 9mm pistols being picked clean... but a run on 50s???
There is plenty of ammo though.
For the money, the remington seems like the best bet. Looks like the previous version labeled as bushmaster were made by barrett in some cases.
Also looks like my budget needs a bit of a bump in this market...

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
OK , got my sights on one. Used, single shot Steyr Mannlicher. Does have a decent pentax scope and nice hardcase. Thoughts, comments, anyone ever handled one of these?
The rifle, as with every Steyr firearm ever made, is of absolutely THE best quality you can imagine. I have handled one, but not shot it - rules are different over here - plus we weren't on a range either. The workmanship was sublime, and made the Barrett next to it look like a Serbu. No stampings anywhere that I could see, just machined components all the way.

Trust me, that price is giving it away.

Buy it and run.

The scope should be used on some kind of a clunker truck rifle, although they USED to be pretty good when they were totally made in Japan - Hongpan, not so good.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts