Need 1911 reassembly Help

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by CA357, May 3, 2010.

1. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Here's my problem: When I try to insert the thumb safety, it isn't lining up properly with the hammer and disconnector. The pin that goes through the beavertail goes through no problem, but when I try to insert the small cut out/machined part of the safety, it doesn't seem to line up.

When I forced it in, the grip safety jammed and I couldn't go any farther and I had a devil of a time disassembling it again.

I have the hammer in the fired position and have tried juggling it around, but that doesn't seem to help. I am trying to insert the safety in the same "almost engaged" position that I disassembled it.

What am I doing wrong? I really don't want to go to a 'smith with a "bag gun" if I can avoid it.

2. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Cock the hammer all the way Don. Safety goes in like when it is engaged.

3. CA357

Okay, I'll try that right now.

4. CA357

I got it in, but it only travels upwards a tiny bit. It doesn't engage. This is the same problem I've been having. WTF?

I guess I'm making an embarassment run to the gunsmith. :eek:

5. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Are you sure you got the sear and disconnector back in properly?

Do you have the MSH and Sear spring in yet?

6. CA357

The sear & disconnector seem to be in properly. The sear spring is in, but I stopped there. It seems pointless to put the mainspring in until I get the safety right.

7. CA357

BTW, thank you very much for your help. I appreciate it. :)

8. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Get the sear spring in the right spot and slide the MSH in far enough to hold the sear spring in place. Then, cock the hammer and get the safety in. Make sure the hammer strut sits in the mainspring cap depression and apply upward pressure to keep all the parts snugly in place.

Does that make sense?

9. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

My pleas. I wish I was a couple of hours closer. I'd zip over and help you with it.

10. CA357

Okay. I've got it disassembled again. Does the sear spring sit behind the disconnector or in front of it?

11. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

The sear spring applies forward pressure to the sear and disconnector.

12. CA357

Okay, I had it right. It sat on top of the disconnector and kind of under the sear.
    Thanks for your help. I'll see if I can get a gunsmith to help me out tomorrow. :rolleyes:

13. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Sear spring SHOULD be making contact with the left, backside of the sear.

The sear spring should just be layed on top of the sear and ramp of the disconnector.

Slide the MSH partially into place to hold everything. Then, lay the hammer strut down and put the grip safety in place. Then thumb back the hammer and seat the thumb safety.

Finally, slide the MSH all the way up, ease the hammer down and get the pin in.

14. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I bought a good CD by Ed Brown on 1911's. Very informative. Also, Brownells Webbench articles have tons of info.
    (And for people like me, some of the articles include pictures.)

15. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

Did you get it together yet? These guys are giving you good advise. Let me know so that I may help you.

16. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

I found that if the hammer is in between the cocked and half cocked position the thumb saftey goes right in. As you are putting the saftey in juggel the hammer between the full cocked and half cock position,
    F.K.
    P.S. Is this a new saftey ? If it is some times you have to diyckim(sp) the saftey and find were it is hitting and stone off this area untill it fits right.

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  17. CA357

The safety is an extended model and was fitted by the gunsmith that re-did the pistol. It was working just fine. I have no idea why it will not engage correctly.

BTW, in installing and uninstalling it I have scratched the frame again. So now I have to put another coat of finish on it. :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  18. canebrake

canebrake New Member

No one mentioned the safety must be orientated so that it's halfway between “engaged” and “off” while inserting.

From Brownells Building A 1911 – Part VI

Remove the grip safety, but leave the other components installed. With the hammer in the cocked position, you can trial fit the thumb safety to see if it will go into the frame and the lug on the thumb safety will fit behind the sear. It should be too long to fit, and a little metal will have to be removed from the lug. Put the safety in until it’s contacting the side of the sear. With a long leather-sewing needle scribe a line on the lug of the thumb safety to show approximately how far to file the lug down.

[​IMG]

This is generally a lot of trial and error so go slow, and check your progress often. It should just fit with slight contact on the sear to prevent it from moving. Check it by pulling the trigger with the hammer cocked and the safety on, there should be NO movement of the hammer. Now, push the thumb safety down to release it. Again, there should be no movement of the hammer. If there is some movement, something is wrong. Double check to see if too much metal has been removed from the thumb safety lug. If so, you’ll have to get another thumb safety and start over, No errors allowed here! If it does function correctly, deburr and radius all the edges and install all of these components into the frame.

[​IMG]

19. CA357

Thanks Cane. I wish I had those illustrations last night. :eek:

There is now a Plan B and it has been executed. Stay tuned for exciting details in due time. :cool:

20. canebrake

canebrake New Member

MORE BIGGER IS MORE BETTER

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]