Need 1911 experts

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by TGReaper, Jan 13, 2011.

1. TGReaper

TGReaper New Member

I require help from people that are more knowledgeable than I am with 1911 pistols.
    I am having trouble deciding between an STI Ranger 11 and a Kimber Pro carry 11.
    Advice? Tks. Dan

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

colt or springfield MUCH better guns. my opinion kimber doesnt make 1911's. they make a single action single stack 45acp that resembles a 1911.

others im sure, will have different opinions.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011

3. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Not sure about the cost of the STI, but I adored my pro carry. Sweet trigger, super short reset, lazer accurate.

Also appears the Kimber is considerably cheaper.

There's nothing colt or Springfield can do to make a nicer 4" carry gun. That like asking who makes the best AR15A2......RRA? Bushmaster? Its all the same man!

4. HOKIE_FAN

HOKIE_FAN New Member

I agree with JonM- Springfield Armory is the way to go.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I would say Springer. STI has been around a while, but the Ranger has not been in their lineup until lately.

Take a look at numbers sold.

6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

This is my 4" 1911 and I'm extremely happy. I'm a Springer fan as I've yet to own a bad one and they don't put FPBs or other superfluous extras in their guns. The lock in their MSH is easily removed by swapping it out if you want - and I generally replace flats with arched anyway. I have nothing against Kimber or STI (I've owned both) but I think Springer gives you more bang for the buck...

[​IMG]

7. GEORGIA

GEORGIA New Member

I also have a Springfield 1911 that scores 100 over 100.

You must have deep pockets,burning,on fire,because them STI guns are seriously expensive and nothing special.Of course,i did pay 1300 for my TRP.

Kimber has a love/hate reputation,dont know what to tell ya.

8. danf_fl

GEORGIA, You may want to do a little more homework. The Ranger is the cheaper STI.

9. General_lee

General_lee New Member

As another resident forum Springer fanboy, my vote goes for Springfield as well.
    I've handled STI's and Kimbers, but for some reason the Springfield feels like quality when you put it in your hand.
    Nothing wrong with Kimber or STI, they're good guns.

One thing I like about Springfield is they stay closer to JMB's original design more than some others. No external extractors or firing pin blocks.

10. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

preposterous!

11. danf_fl

Uh Squirrel, isn't that suppose to be in upper case letters? :)

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Attached Files:

13. Dgunsmith

Dgunsmith New Member

Avoid Kimber at all costs !

Too many MIM parts and reliability issues !

14. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

If the choice is a Kimber or STI, my money goes to STI every time. I have one and it is awesome.

15. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

I know of at least 8 kimbers in our IDPA club, excluding my two. None have reliability issues, they must have Wednesday guns compared to your Monday morning model.......

16. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Out of the two the op listed the STI is the better of the two pistols. Kimber makes a pretty good pistol but I don't see it being better than any STI. That being said I would not like to be limited to just those two choices. In the price range those arein there are a few others that can fill the need as well or better.

Colt, Springfield both make fantastic pistols. I'm a Springer fan most between these two but I have never owned or shot a Colt that disappointed me. Some will point out that the Springer frames are not made here in the U.S. anymore. My only reply is...So? I own one made here and one of the "Not American" models and can't count the rounds that have been through either. When it comes to Colt all I can say is...It's a Colt. THey did it first and have put out quality 1911's since. The last Colt I had was a Combat Commander that could shoot 3" and under at 25 yards easily. I would do almost as well or at the least 4" at 50 yds. Colts are pretty pricey but they are very well made. And you would not walk away feeling like yo didn't get your monies worth.

Para Ord make really great pistol. Take a look around the auction sites and look for a used one. It's next to impossible. This tells me that people tend to hold on to them. I also love the ramped barrels on most models. This makes feeding any type of ammo no trouble right from the box.I've shot quite a few and own two, both have been flawless.

There are others but this post is long winded enough. ;)

17. danf_fl

Just wondering, is this based on personal experience (not opinion), or actual documented tests, or what others have said?

I would like to see actual results (not hearsay). Do you have such available?

18. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I am by no means a Kimber fan but honestly more than half the issues from Kimber I've seen have come from inexperienced shooters or people trying to use a really tightly fit target gun for as daily carry. I have had two Kimber that I had issues with. I was able to fix them but I had trust issues after and I don't like keeping a weapon around that I can't trust 200% I have a couple friends that will swear by theirs. They sell a lot of pistols for them to be a crap gun. I wont own another Kimber but I have a Taurus PT1911. It's been a real good shooter. I bought it as a range toy and was pleasantly surprised. THough I'll probably not own another style of Taurus I do like the 1911's. I've had others (Taurus pistols) that where OK but nothing to brag about.

I personally think they are a little overpriced for what you get but they are not really bad pistols.

19. TGReaper

TGReaper New Member

Thank you to all that have responded, My experience with 1911 type pistols is limited to my Colt .45 GCNM which is a soft ball gun.

As the new gun will be a fairly major purchase the more input that I get from 1911 shooters the easier it will be to make the right decision.

Again thank you and keep the thoughts coming.

Dan