need 1-4 scope recommendations

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by hawkguy, Dec 7, 2013.

1. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

probably covered a million times....so I this thread is covered elsewhere, a link is fine.

looking for a scope....:p

I want: 1-4 power, for use as "irons" and some magnification. I would prefer compact (less or close to than 10" length), and a reticle that is clear and not overly busy. illuminated is ok, not required....but it must be decently visible in full sunlight. target cost $300ish (hopefully less). much more would make me tempted to step up to an eotech.....and I really do want a bit of magnification.

I just bought a bushnell 1-4 illuminated ar scope which seemed to fit the bill. but it has some concerns and may be going back (I haven't been able to test it in full sunlight, but on the overcast days we have had recently, it doesn't seem it will be bright enough to be visible in full daylight).

any recommendations. I saw the burris fullfield tac30, but it is a bit bigger than I wanted. might overlook that if the illumination is good.

a simple good quality 1-4 with a normal crosshair will do....but most are larger than I want.

any recommendations appreciated.

2. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

I've heard very good reviews on the Primary Arms 1-4 or 1-6 Models. There's also Mueller, Vortex.

I have the Bushnell AR 1-4 BDC Model and I really like it.

Looked at the Illuminated Throw down model and it was too cluttered for me, and without the Illumination the Dot couldn't be seen on Power 1 and barely on Power 2. I'm also hearing reports of washout in bright light.

3. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I am happy with the Leupold Firedot 1.5-4x. At 1.5x it is practically a red dot sight.

4. indy36

indy36 New Member

Hi-Lux CMR

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  5. hawkguy

thanks for the input, gents.

I will check out your suggestions. any other ideas appreciated.

i'm leaning towards a weaver 1-3 at the moment.

its small, has a simple reticle, (no illum., but I can live with that). I just want a compact, variable low power scope, and works well at 1X and low power magnification. something I could use to easily pop cans at 15 yards and then turn around and make shots on larger targets at 100 and 200 and maybe 300 yards.

would a red dot serve me better? I think I shoot much better at distance with magnification though.....my eyes are not the best.

the bushnell I bought is almost perfect. but I dislike the reticle and the illumination appears to be inadequate. it is FFP, which I like in some ways.....but seems to make the scope less effective at 1X.

6. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

For speed, you can't beat the red dot. For precision, the scope wins.

7. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member

8. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

I ended up with a Leo 1.5x4 in Warne rings because I didn't want a big scope on my Tactical. Also could never latch on to the 30 mm Warnes. Tried to get your old ones from Steve but missed him. The tiny bit of magnification doesn't matter that I can see. What Bushnell do you have?

9. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Exactly.

so I made my gun able to have both for different situations with quick detachable scopes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

MTAC 1x4 by Burris is what I settled on. I used the 1x4 Leopold for many years. When I first tried the MTAC I did not like the radical but the more I used it the better I liked it. I guess it just took some getting use to.
    And yes a 1x or 1.5x is as good as any 'dot' sight for close work.
    Hope this helped.
    Jim

11. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Same setup here. Edit: before that I used the FireDot. It was fine, but had to moved to my 22 bolt action.

12. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Im not sure what your wanting to spend but I have a Brunton 1.5-5 on my 7.62x39 AR and it works pretty good . I think i paid less than $100 on ebay, new . The first one had issues but Brunton took care of it very quickly . They have a U proof warranty , if you accidentally , not purposely run it over they will replace it . Turrets pull up and turn to reset to zero , its not a nikon but its still a great scope
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. hawkguy

that makes perfect sense. I am hoping for a happy compromise between speed and precision. :p like an eotech w/ magnifier for a poor man.....:rolleyes:

or could it be I am hoping for the perfect optic that doesn't exist? :p

anyway....I need to stay sub $300 if possible, anything more and I would be too tempted to just save up a bit more for an eotech.

I think a good 1-4 scope with a uncluttered reticle is more what I want. but it needs to be 10" or less or imo, it becomes to big and bulky for a 16" carbine.

here are some I am looking at:

primary arms 1-6:

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-1-6X-Scope-with-ACSS-Reticle-p/pa1-6xrbd.htm

like the idea on this one, but does the illumination wash out....is the reticle small, cluttered? haven't been able to get much real info on this one.

burris fullfeild tac30:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/99...tments-illuminated-ballistic-cq-reticle-matte

looks like a winner in many ways. pushing it on the $ I want to spend, and at 11" too big imo. not sure again on that reticle.

Nikon m-223 1-4:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/786479/nikon-m-223-rifle-scope-1-4x-20mm-point-blank-reticle-matte

again, pushing price. reticle looks good. almost too big.

weaver 1-3:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/18...es-rifle-scope-1-3x-20mm-dual-x-reticle-matte

i'm actually leaning this way a bit. decent price, like the reticle. compact.

open to any thoughts or if anyone has experience with these.

any others ideas always appreciated.

14. hawkguy

15. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I had a Nikon 223. Excellent all around. Agreed, the reticle could be smaller, there is a tactical bias to it. The most important quality of any scope is holding zero, and that the Nikon did flawlessly on a 5.56 rifle.

16. hawkguy

I think i'm down to (in order):

Nikon m223.....found a sale that is tipping me that way :)
    weaver classic v.......really like the size of this scope
    Nikon monarch African........need to look through this one
    Mueller speed shot........this look basically like a magnified red dot....but is it good? :confused:
    primary arms 1-6.......good size, ilumin, etc......just seems like too little info out there.

i'm moving away from illumination I think, not completely against it right now, but i'm thinking illuminated scopes mostly can't do what I want them to do. :confused:

17. hawkguy

the bushnell is going back. it presented some great ideas, but didn't deliver imo. the illumination is too weak, and I really dislike the reticle.

18. sandog

sandog Member

The Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x is the ticket. Light (9oz.), under 10 inch length, very clear, great reticle ( the SPR) and the best illumination I've seen in a $400 scope. The dang Burris PEPR Q.D. mount I bought weighs almost as much as my scope.The Green FireDot is easily visible in bright daylight, but has many setting so you can use it for night time pig hunting, etc. Same motion sensor technology as the pricier VXR and VX6 line. Reticle is easy to pick up for fast up close shooting and allows precise shooting for longer ranges. The SPR has holdover marks out to 800 meters for the 62 gr. FMJ, while the elevation turret is calibrated for 55 gr. loads. Their custom shop can make a turret for any load you want, 68 gr., 77 gr., whatever, just provide them with all the info. I believe the cost for a custom elevation turret is $35. But the reticle hold overs are much quicker than taking your eyes off the target and clicking your turret. I have shot mine only out to 500, and out to there the holdover marks are right on. $400 is a screamin' price considering this optic has many of the features of Leupold's high dollar tactical scopes.

Attached Files:

19. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Heres a look through the Nikon Monarch Africa ,German#4 reticle .Very very very clear . Is there any reason you really need illumination ?

[​IMG]

20. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Not really. Even with a LE use you would have to 'illuminate' the target to ID it. I have found while doing entry/room clearing the lighted recital is actual a distraction and caused your brain/eye to focus on the recital rather than the environment. But were I do like the lighted recital is when I am hunting in low light or after dark (hogs) and if I use my green laser light the red recital was very visible and in contrast to the target lit in green.:)