Neat Little .22

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by Vikingdad, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

A buddy of mine came by with a .22 revolver today, neat little gun but I wouldn't dare fire it. It is made by H&R Arms of Worcester Mass, called a Young American Double Action. Looks to be nickel plated, the cylinder is really loose and does not clock correctly, let alone well. I am not sure but it appears as though there is a missing loading gate and ejector rod and the grip has been replaced with a home-made job. It was originally a bird's head grip. Anyhow here are some pics of it.

Attached Files:

2. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

That is a pretty interesting gun. Are you going to fix it up and get it in working condition?

3. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I honestly don't think I can make it workable. The clocking mechanism is virtually nonexistent. The cylinder rotates freely when the hammer is down and I am not sure all of the parts are there. Since it belongs to a friend I have advised him to never try and fire it.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, those did not HAVE an ejector rod, not a loading gate. After shooting, pull cylinder pin, remove cylinder, use pin to poke out empties.

The H&R and Iver Johnsons had a cylinder that was free wheeling UNTIL the gun was at full cock. Allowed you to load them w/ hammer down. Check alignment/ slop with hammer at full cock.

Would not use any hi-speed .22 ammo in that. They were made from late 1800s up til around 1930s.

5. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

6. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

There is quite a bit of slop at full cock. Much more than I would be comfortable with in any case. Any tips on how to tighten it up?

Oh, and we were thinking maybe using some SSS or shorts in it if anything.

7. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

8. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

The Young America .22 caliber revolver was produced by Harrington & Richards from 1890 to 1942. The 1st model was a black powder design and then in 1905 they started producing a smokeless powder version (model 2), which they made until 1941. The original name was the Young America and later in the production life of the revolver it changed slightly to Young American - which just added the N to the end of the name................

9. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Bumping this thread to ask if anyone has a value estimate for this little gun. San Francisco has a gun buyback program tomorrow and I am considering turning it in for the $200 they are giving. Any thoughts?

10. racer_x

racer_x New Member

My thoughts are not but id guess you have figured that out by now I keep stuff even if it dosnt work

11. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

It is not mine and it is not in great condition either. It is such a crappy little gun that I don't even like it as a display. I figure to keep my eyes open for a Single Six that needs a bit of work for that $200.

12. racer_x

racer_x New Member

I hear ya but its a piece of history

13. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I hear you too. If it were a valuable piece of history, or at least more valuable than, say, $100, I would keep it. As I tell people all the time, just because it is rare and/or old doesn't mean its worth anything. I have whats left of an old double-barrel shotgun that is rusted solid and the wood has completely rotted away (none left), but that I am hanging on to. I am also keeping a Carcano that is probably worth maybe $75.

14. racer_x

racer_x New Member

I hear ya Viking ive got a few that aint worth anything but to me. Id still keep them all the sears an all lol

15. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I have a Rohn .22 revolver that in the Blue Book they say it has no value. None. Zip. My kids started using it to practice fast draw and spinning and stuff. I don't care if it gets dropped onto concrete and at the same time it has the right weight and balance to serve the purpose we keep it for. So that one stays here too.

16. racer_x

racer_x New Member

Ive got an old S&W top break 5 shot 1890ish before the turn for sure.Doesnt work its the oldest so it has its place for sure