Near miss at the mine

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by boatme98, May 13, 2014.

1. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

I work at a good sized metal/nonmetal mine.
    The main shaft is approx. 1600 ft. with the main level at about 1450ft.
    There's approx. 450 miles of tunnel throughout the mine area.
    Last week, on my first day back for shift, the skip (the large box that carries ore to the surface in a vertical shaft) rope snapped just after the bin emptied at the headframe.
    The skip fell all 1600 ft. to the bottom of the shaft, trailing about 80' of 2" steel cable whipping behind it.
    Pieces of wire about a foot long, that shredded off of the cable were found on the various levels that access the shaft.
    Luckily, no one was near enough to be hurt by any debris, or the skip itself.
    The reports so far say the skip looks like a soda can that's been crushed, and about 40 ft. of the shaft bottom is damaged.
    The skip weighs approx. 22,600 lbs. Just over 11 tons. Empty. Think of a vertical semi trailer for an approx. size.
    A new skip and rope are already on site, and repairs are expected to take about two weeks.

The company is extremely safety conscience and our mine has an excellent safety record.
    Thank goodness nobody was injured, or worse.
    Here's a picture of a skip. (Not ours)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  2. luckyj

luckyj New Member

That's amazing to me that no one was hurt. I have never personally worked in a mine but have family members who have. That's scary stuff. Glad you and your coworkers escaped harm.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

3. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

Wow, glad everyone is okay. Definitely could have been a lot worse

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

MSHA is going to be living in somebody's pocket for a spell! Glad there were no casualties.

Just curious- can you say what product you are mining? Have been down over 5k on one gold and one silver mine. Gets right warm.

5. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

stuff like that is why I'm glad our coal is so close to the surface it can be strip mined.

yeah accidents can still happen, but when it's a giant hole in the ground as opposed to a pit a thousand feet down, the accidents are usually less severe

6. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

You just never know, right !.....................

7. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Yup. Stuff happens.

8. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

-Eeeek- That's enough to crush a feral cat that would wonder down the mine. Glad to hear all is well.