NC Star Optics

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by dpmsar, Jun 28, 2014.

1. dpmsar

dpmsar New Member

After comparing a few different brands of red dot optics with laser, I found the NC Star red/green dot w/laser to be about the best bang for the buck without breaking the bank on a Eotech or an Aimpoint. So far it's been durable and very accurate. Has anyone else had any experience with these?

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Only negative experience. My Eotech still runs and holds zero after 9 years. Most NC Stars won't.

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Cheap, Chinese crap

No offense and none taken

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

dont expect it to function below freezing.

cheap junk.

waste of money.

my top three impressions. ive seen a lot of ncstar stuff self destruct on only a few rounds fired. one stand out example was a young guy just putting it on his rifle that day chambered a round and the front lens popped out.

if you want cheap the lowest ill go is a offering from vortex. even if you break it they replace it or fix it for free for as long as you own it. no expiration. other than vortex the only rds i would buy is an aimpoint.

5. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member Supporter

My only impression of NC Star is "waste of money". They break easily and don't hold up. Lots of them come into the shop broken asking if we can fix them... We end up selling a lot of Vortex SPARC's to replace them....;)

6. indy36

indy36 New Member

Junk. Stay away.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

7. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

Save the nc star for air-soft games. They are absolute garbage for a real gun. Not worth the weight in scrap.

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

You can buy a Crimson Trace rail mounted laser for $90 from http://www.kygunco.com/index.cfm and get free batteries for life from CT.
    You can buy a Bushnell TRS25 for around $90.
    Or you can buy several ncstar sights and throw them away as they break. I had the reticle on one of their scopes shoot loose on a 22lr.

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i've got one NC Star scope in 3-9x40 that came off a used rifle i bought, and so far i guess i have been lucky as it has held zero so far on the 7mm-08 it's mounted on. until it craters or i replace it in the future as planned, i'll continue running it. i have been using that scope for over three years now and have fired several hundreds of rounds through that rifle.

it's not a brand i would seek out to buy, but if one happened to be on a used rifle i bought, i'll run it until it breaks. why not. it's not like it would be huge loss if it did break and you planned on replacing it with a higher quality scope anyways.