NBC news-remington-700 rifle unsafe

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by LONGHAIR, Oct 20, 2010.

1. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

I just seen the nbc nightly news. They are saying the remington-700 rifle is unsafe,the safety is falty. Did anybody else see this story. NBC nightly news.com has the story if you missed it....

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

News Headlines

Here is the link. I would like to see an intelligent discussion on this please. Let's keep away from brand bashing just because. :rolleyes:

I will weigh in with my thoughts later on after some of the more experienced in the platform have had their say.

JD

3. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

Sorry cnbc tv on msnbc>com

4. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I have a Remington 700 VTR, the only issue is range time neglect.

I would not be surprised that the problems happen is from preventive maintenance and firearm safety procedures. I see it at the range all the time.

News Headlines

Here is a link from gun reports:

“Remington Under Fire: A CNBC Investigation, ” Airs Oct. 20

Youtube

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_8kLT7IRPg]YouTube - CNBC Under Fire - Reporter[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp0j4XELYE0]YouTube - CNBC Expert Cannot Replicate Misfire[/ame]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  5. BudW

BudW New Member

opppppppppppsssssssssssssss

6. Bigcountry02

JD,

I will taking the 700 VTR to the range tomorrow! I am going to watch the report tonight. I want to see this CNBC report.

Sneak peek from tonight's show, also watch near the end of the sneak peek when the law enforcement sniper is firing position, there was no finger on the trigger and the 700 fired.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2oZtWRyDu8&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2oZtWRyDu8&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

7. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

I have a 700 CDL in 7m.m. mag, Have shot about 200 rounds through it and carried it with a sling all day numerous times. Never had any problems. But if there is a problem, I definitely want to know about it!
    Thank’s for the heads up:confused:

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

i remember a story about this guy taken to trial for shooting his wife out hunting. he claimed it was accidental discharge. the authorities couldnt replicate it. shortly before the trial a forensics epert figured out it would easily and repeatedly AD if it was upside down. the story didnt say what brand.

knowing how typial it is for people to muck with triggers and sears or send firearms to basement "experts" for trigger work, it surprises me its not more common.

i would be interested in per capita AD shown per unit sold by model and brand. i would hazard a guess the 700 series would fall right in the middle of such a study.

9. Bigcountry02

I love my Remington VTR and will get another 700 in the near future!

I purchased the 700 VTR 223 in 2009, fired about 400 rounds (rough figure). I am going to the range in tomorrow (weather permitting, i.e. if thunderstorms, outdoor range is closed).

Remington 700 VTR has the REmington X-Mark Pro trigger, from the CNBC report is the new trigger assembly.

http://www.snipercentral.com/vtr.htm

I think everyone is going to look at this situation.

CNBC report is very scary!

The three most common scenarios for the fire control to malfunction are:

- When the user moves the safety switch from the "safe" mode to the "fire" mode

- When the user loads a new round into the breech (Fire closing the bolt)

- When the user cycles the bolt to eject a spent casing (Fire opening the bolt)

10. freefall

freefall New Member

I own a Remington model 78 Sportsman, bargain basement model of 700. I don't like it because I'm prejudiced against Remingtons even tho I've never had a problem with it and it's fiendishly accurate. Guess I should just cut the receiver with a torch and throw it in the river, eh?:rolleyes:

11. CourtJester

CourtJester Active Member

I have a novel idea.... One should keep their finger off the trigger until they are ready to shoot.
    I'd still use one any day.

12. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

News Headlines

Go here and let them know your dissatisfaction with their piss poor reporting.

13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Okay. 93 Views. But very few responses, which tells me that people don't want to go to far out on a limb with such a controversial topic when the "source" is questionable to say the least.

I'll offer myself up again, I don't have a problem with badmouthing Remington. No, wait, what?? :confused:

Fact: The Remington 700 is one of the most popular, if not THE most popular, rifles sold in the last I don't know how many years.

Fact: There are SEVERAL types of the Remington 700 models shown, thus increasing their penetration in safes and gun cabinets and grabby hands everywhere.

Opinion - From what I have seen in the shop I spend time: "Hunters" and "Hunting Rifles" is a BROAD category that can fit just about ANYONE you want to INCLUDE or EXCLUDE based on criteria you wish to mix & match. :rolleyes:

Fact: The Remington 700 has a common "upgrade" that is done on custom builds that changes the Factory Safety to a "perceived more safe" type. That of the Winchester Model 70 ( i.e. a 3 position safety ).

Opinion: People do this because it is suggested by a gunsmith who can do the job in a very short period of time and make some money making the "much needed change".
    • I personally have this mod on one rifle and will be getting it on my Mjolnir Rifle. This is a personal preference based on how I shoot.
    Opinion: Not every hunter is what I would call a "good shot" or a real "shooter". There are people that buy a weapon, put it in a closet for a YEAR and only take it out the week before hunting season to sight it in with 3 shots and pack it into the woods with several other "hunters".

Fact: The Remington factory trigger setting can be described as "hard" or "sloppy". People wish to "improve" it by trigger weight reductions or outright changes to the trigger itself.

Opinion: The Remington factory trigger is one of the easiest to make kitchen table modifications to change how it feels "hard" or "sloppy". It is also VERY easy to induce a condition with a light trigger that could cause a SLAM FIRE condition.
    You read that at face value, and what do you have?

You have a reason to listen to this report and roll your effing eyes. Yeah, Dillinger hates Remington and can't wait to trash it. Whatever. :rolleyes:

Look, if I want to sample ANY firearm with a preset, predetermined outcome, based on lawsuits that I have heard about, I can make you believe that the 1911 is absolutely the worst choice for a handgun and that the flintlock pistol is the best, for ANY situation.

Numbers don't mean dick when it comes to these cases! Look hard enough and you can find that Remington's 700 was the reason we lost "X" servicemen, the reason that we lost "X" LEO, the reason more ice cream was sold on hot days and why women in summer dresses look better than women in bhurkas. :rolleyes:

Have there been accidents with the weapon? I am sure there have. Have there been cases where the Remington factory safety failed? I am sure there have. Are there also cases where the Remington factory safety failed BECAUSE someone Bubba'd it to a lighter trigger weight and/or made "other" changes? Yes, I am definitely sure there have.

Bottom line, you have NO STABLE BASE for an accusation that THIS SAFETY is unsafe.

What you have are reports that show unsafe results that INCLUDE this safety.

Across a long enough timeline, with a broad enough sample: EVERY weapon will fail you. Every girl will cheat on you. Every car will fail to start. Every person will make more money than you do.

Now, you want the Tin Foil Hat Edition that no one has talked about yet?

You have an ANTI Administration that is VERY Left leaning, with a network that is VERY Left leaning that helped get the current Administration elected.

Joe Biden was the co-author of the first AWB. And is part of the current Administration. Hhhhmmmmmm.

Now......................

Take a huge stake and drive it right in the chest of the "hunting" mystique and how the NUMBER ONE hunting rifle is KILLING KIDS?!?!

Oh My!! *tears*

Hunting leads to kids dying!! *tears*

See where this COULD be going if there are puppet masters??

Do yourself a favor members of FTF!

Think for yourselves! Don't listen to a reporter who has no knowledge of how you and your friends take care of, behave with, shoot and maintain your weapons.

This report is about as worthless as our current Administration.

JD

14. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Wow..I've never known anyone to have a problem with any Remington.... Outside of the shooter caused ones anyway.

People buy a lot of them to be such a problem.

15. lukeisme

lukeisme New Member

I personally own 12 rem 700 in various calibers. I have never had ONE of them "ghost fire" as we call it. We have modifed and tweeked a few of them to way out of factory specs. Personally I think this is BS and as far and the "sniper" video goes there is no codec to verify that.Any jerk can file a triiger down to so light that it will bump fire and not to mention grab a set of BDU's from the local mil-surplus shop. I think this is left wing, liberal BS trying to scare people!!!

16. m260gt

m260gt New Member

i will still buy one. if proper gun safety would have been implemented a lot of those deaths wouldnt have happened. my current rifle only gets loaded when im in the woods or at a range and the gun is pointed in a safe direction.

17. opaww

opaww New Member

18. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Like Remington said "IF PROPER GUN HANDLING PROCEDURES WERE FOLLOWED none of these deaths would have occurred"

Why was that chick unloading a firearm pointed at her son? The first then I was taught was NEVER TRUST A SAFETY. My dad beat that into my head at the ripe old age of 6.

How many people adjust the trigger on the 700? That was the first thing I did when I got mine home.

My believe is this. The safety is a mechanical device made by an imperfect being (HUMAN) so there for must be considered to be IMPERFECT.

19. Yunus

Yunus New Member

My 2 cents and they are not so much firearm related as Market related.

The 700 is likely the most popular and common hunting rifle available for the last 6 decades. The sheer number of rifles out there means there will be more incidents. The key is to look at the incidents per gun sold, which this article does not. And as we all know distinguish between someone accidentally pulling the trigger and the gun firing without the trigger being pulled. This is a key point that most non firearms type people would not think about.

I'm wondering if the modification is meant to prevent accidental discharge making it more difficult to accidentally pull the trigger or if they mean accidental discharge where no one pulls the trigger and the gun fires.

20. tmoore912

tmoore912 New Member

I have been conversing through email this morning with some of my hunting buddies about the trigger problem report from last night. Here is an email I just received from one of them:

He has never messed with the trigger on this gun. It is straight from the factory.