Navy Arms Country Boy 50 cal

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by spittinfire, Apr 2, 2011.

1. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Alright BP guys, give me the skinnny on these. I've been offered one in trade for my Marlin 795. It comes with a tasco mounted on it, a good bit of powder, cleaning supplies and a package of powerbelts and caps. This it's a fair trade?

2. whtsmoke

whtsmoke New Member

the answer to your question is "it depends", do you really want to get started in BP? Is it your only 22 rifle? I dont think I would trade for it as you can get started fairly inexpensively and still have your 22. I will let the others on here give thier opinions of inlines as myself I dont care for them but thats just me.

3. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Inlines suck. Get a real rifle. If you just got to have an inline get one from Wal Mart for 99.99

4. spittinfire

Simmer down guys. All bases are covered. I don't need either weapon for anything, this is simlpy a pleasure exchange.

5. USNWO

USNWO New Member

This is actually one of my favourite weapons to fire. Its got a hell of a kick though.

6. spittinfire

How is it one accuracy? The reason I want it is because I don't yet have a muzzle loader and I want something to hunt deer with. If I can consistantly drop a deer at 100yards I would be more then happy.

I can't buy what he is offering in trade for what I have in my 795.

7. USNWO

USNWO New Member

Its black powder, yes? The accuracy depends on if its a smooth bore or not. Sometimes, manufacturers make the weapon with a smooth bore for reenactment purposes. Smooth bore rifles are only about 60% accurate at 50yds.

8. spittinfire

Hey USN, I'm asking about a specific rifle here....

9. USNWO

USNWO New Member

I realize this...

10. spittinfire

OK...Well then...yes, it's rifled and BP. Chrome lined barrel...not sure what else you need.

11. USNWO

USNWO New Member

Then it would be my guess that yes, you could take a deer down at 100yds. (You did say 100yds, right?)

12. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

i know a guy who has a Navy Arms Country Boy rifle. He bought the gun new about 1998. It is a good serviceable gun that is better made than most new inline muzzleloders today.

13. bearbuster50

bearbuster50 New Member

spittin fire....i own a navy arms country boy.. and with 100 grs of hodgon 777 powder and a 444 gr powerbelt all lead conical... i have taken a 300 pound black bear that only stubled 40 feet after being hit.. as for whitetail deer.. i got on in the freezer .. that was shot same with same gun.. the distance it was shot.. as taken by a bushnel range finder..125 yard i used same powder load of 100grs of 777.. but i used a saboted .451 300 gr hollow point.. with a descent scope yes 150 yard shots are fairy easy with this handy little rifle..

14. bearbuster50

bearbuster50 New Member

oh by the way inside the stock should be a storeage space .for a cleaning kit or what ever you put in it..

15. towboater

towboater Active Member

Yep, should be good out to 100 yards. Ya might have to play around with your load combinations a bit to find what it likes best.

16. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

After working up a load, you should have no problem killing a paper plate at 150 yards.