National right to carry

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by opaww, Nov 16, 2011.

1. opaww

opaww New Member

passed the house with 272 for, that is 12 more then needed for a veto override

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

it wont come for a vote in the senate. democrats wont bring it up and they control the senate which is why it got so many dem votes in the house.

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

Jon, I have to ask. Call me ignorant if you must, but ignorant I am because I don't know. If the people want it (and invariably, many of them do), and it has passed the vote in the house, how the hell can the senate get away with just not bringing it up?

Maybe I should watch that after school special *sings* "I'm just a bill, sittin on capital hill"

4. bkt

bkt New Member

A bill doesn't become law until both houses ratify it by majority vote.

Even if it squeaked by in the Senate, Obama would probably veto it.

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

Okay, one thing I learned from that after school special, the congress can override a president's veto can't they? But what I really want to know, is can the Senate just refuse to bring it up? Can they just say, "Oh we don't want to talk about that" and just ignore it?

6. bkt

bkt New Member

If both houses have 2/3 majority or better vote, yes, they can veto the president.

And yes, the leaders of either side of congress can simply refuse to bring a bill to the floor for discussion or a vote.

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

Is that legal? I'm gonna PM my number to you, I want to talk to you and see if we can get this through my thick skull.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

yes its legal. its how both houses of congress work. the senate or house can just not bring a bill forward. it happens all the time. it doesnt matter how many people want a bill to be voted on if the leadership of one chamber doesnt put the bill on the agenda it dies in committee.

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

That's bullspit.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

yup but thats how it works. its also why that rino boehnor even let it come up for a useless vote cuz he knows his buddy harry reed wont let it come for a vote. its just lip service to allow plutocrats to garner favor amongest the people who dont understand how things work.

everyone gets excited "yeah!! they finally getting things done!!" then some time goes by the bill dies in committee and scum like boehnor can then claim to support gun rights in the next election even though he knew it was a pointless vote

votes like this also allow democrats in weak areas a pointless vote they can say in their elections that they voted for gun rights. these dems tend to be in swing districts that are heavily pro-gun garnering them support in a oherwise tight election for casting a vote on a non-starter issue

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  11. tellmaster207

tellmaster207 New Member

If it dies it dies.
    I would rather have the States have control of CC.
    If the Government gives you something they can take it away. Can you imagine the rules,regulations & huge $fee's$ they would charge?
    Most of the states I travel to reciprocate already.
    The same States that are anti 2A still will be & will opt out anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

12. bkt

bkt New Member

Yeah, it's legal and I'm happy to talk with you, but I've been at work since 4:00AM and it's 10:00PM now and just finished up some stuff for work at home and I'm beat. I'm gonna crash now.

The Senate Majority Leader and Speaker of the House have pretty broad discretion in regard to what they allow to come to the floor. The idea is that they should be able to table or delay less important matters so that serious matters can be dealt with sooner. But of course this is abused along partisan and ideological lines to deny the other side the opportunity to push a bill through.

If a bill has a lot of publicity and public support, that's another matter; they often really can't just prevent the bill from coming to the floor without looking like obstructionist pricks.

Another thing they can do is send a bill to committee for study or review and the committee can delay looking at the bill and returning it to congress indefinitely.

G'nite.

13. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

^ that

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

I have to say, honestly I agree on this particular issue. I just think it's bs that they can do this.

15. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

As far as I can tell, the bill doesn't interfere with the States issuing or not issuing CCW Permits. I simply says that like a drivers license, States are required to honor CCW Permits issued by other States.

16. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

Let's hope they don't add any sneaky amendments to it!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  17. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Ooo:eek: That's not good!!

18. ttolhurst

ttolhurst New Member

Of course they can. Neither House of Congress can compel the other to do anything. Many bills die in committee and never see a vote. It has always been so.

Frankly, anything that impedes Congress from passing new laws is probably a Good Thing in the big picture.

19. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

Use CC to denote Constitutional Carry. The ability tocarry open or concealed without any permit or license. Only 4, maybe 5 states have it. I wish all 50 did. Use cc for concealed carry, which you know what it is.

As far as the bill, its something I want but i think im against it passing. Should be with the state. If the government can give rights, they can take them.

20. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

Not trying to nitpick or inflame, just trying to stress the importance towards the ultimate goal in 2A, Constitutional Carry across the nation.