Narrowed down my ammo list

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by 2ndAmendmentFreedom, Jan 13, 2012.

1. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

2ndAmendmentFreedom New Member

Hey everyone,
    If everything goes as planned, I'll be a proud owner of a Colt 1911 in 2-3 weeks. Now I'm looking at ammo and right now I've determined that my plinking ammo will be Federal Champion 230gr FMJs. However for my home/personal defense I'd like to go with JHPs.

I'm looking at:
    Federal Personal Defense Jacketed Hollow Point 230 Grain 850 fps
    &
    Hornady Jacketed Hollow Point XTP 200 Grain 900 fps

I'd REALLY like to stick with brand names.

Also I don't know if it's important or not but I'd like to keep my ammo consistent to really break in the gun with a certain kind of ammo. Considering I'll be shooting Federal 230g FMJs, what would you recommend in JHP? I'm not convinced with EFMJs and I don't want a round that will over-penetrate more than the average, in other words no bear certified rounds lol!

Thanks everyone!

2. viper7342

viper7342 New Member

If you can find/own them in the PRC, I would suggest either Winchester T Series or Federal HST for defense, assuming your new Colt will Cycle reliably and shoot to point of aim with either or both of them. You could also try Remington Golden Sabers or Speer Gold Dots. Whatever Round you choose, just make sure they cycle reliably and go where you aim them.

3. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

I'll take a look at the Winchester T. I'd like to keep prices at around $20 or lower for a box of 20 JHPs considering that I'm going to waste 200 of them to make sure they feed reliably. What are your thoughts on the 2 I listed?

4. viper7342

viper7342 New Member

From what I know about them, both the Federal PD and the Hornady XTP Ammunition both have good reputations. When it comes to Defense ammo, it's honestly just one persons opinion verses anothers as to what works better. As an aside, SGammo at SGAmmo.com | Family Owned and Operated, Stillwater Oklahoma carries the Winchester T Series ammo in 50 round boxes, they are marked "Law Enforcement Ammunition", however, this is Winchesters policy not the law, unless the PRI has a law against it.

5. Magnum27

Magnum27 New Member

I have figured for home defense you hopefully will never shoot it so go with 50 rounds of the best you can afford and keep them in the mags you need. I am going to get Hornady Critical Defense from what I have read. 25 might be fine. Other than that I will shoot the cheapest my gun will handle at the range.

6. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

That's the idea Magnum. Gonna keep 3 mags always loaded with JHPs (after my gun goes through 200 of them reliably) and I'll buy 500-1000 rounds of cheaper stuff for plinking. So you vouch for hornady uh? I'm not sure what my thoughts are on 185gr.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  7. Magnum27

Magnum27 New Member

So I am a noob but have read consistent great review on the Hornady Critical Defense. In the grand scheme of things the best box of 25 doesn't make a difference price wise but I haven't seen anything on the several boards I am on that talk about better stuff. I am sure there is but that what I know and I know they have it close to me to buy.

Any suggestions from others on the BEST self defense rounds?

8. MrWray

MrWray New Member

You cant go wrong with any of these, all very good

25p02hh.jpg

hornpic9112.jpg

233829.jpg

45acp230jhphydrashokfed-0.jpg

695547.jpg

-2001047717.jpg

9. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Don't worry about Fed vs Winchester vs whatever for range ammo. Your gun should run any basic brass cased 230gr FMJ just fine. If it doesn't, that's a legitimate problem you should know about. You gain nothing from only shooting one brand, other than a headache if supply dries up. I shoot a lot of WWB and Fed Champion, but run plenty of others (PMC, Blazer, Lawman, Rem UMC, etc) if the price is right. They're all basically the same so long as you avoid the steel cased Russian junk.

As to defense ammo, about 95% of the options out there are pretty damned splendid, especially in 45acp. The biggest question is how well your gun feeds JHPs. If for some reason you run into the occasional feed issue, you may want to lean toward a round that feeds a bit more like ball...Hornady CD, CorBon Pow'rball, Federal EFMJ.

JHPS- You're splitting hairs between countless fine options, which is why I generally lean toward something you can get in 50rd boxes. Mostly I go with Winchester Rangers, and SGammo offers the best deals on Rangers. But even the Winchester White Box JHPs that you can get at Walmart actually test quite well. I stock several other brands, and I can't say a bad word about:

Rem Golden Saber
    Hornady
    Speer Gold Dot
    Federal HS
    CorBon
    DoubleTap
    Buffalo Bore
    Fiocchi
    Black Hills
    etc...
    etc...

10. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

Would going with a 185gr be the "safest" option for home defense? I've seen videos online and it does seem to have a much lower penetration.

11. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I wouldn't worry too much about "overpenetration" of a 45acp JHP that finds its mark. It's a slow round. Would I be concerned about the missed shots? Yep, but going to 185gr isn't likely to alter that equation.

Load your 45acp pistol with whatever dependable defense ammo you will shoot well. If you've got paper thin walls and are a terrible shot, I guess there's exotic/super light/frangible ammo for that. Or better yet, have a shotgun at the ready.

12. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

All the options cited are pretty good. Just a note, several of the members here have done some independent testing of the more popular SD rounds in both .45ACP and .40S&W. Might be over in the ammo forum, take a look...might help with your choice.

The point regarding reliability should not be taken lightly, be sure to test the ammo and the mags you intend to use with the JHP...lots of feed issues are really mag related, not ammo.

13. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

Thanks a lot guys for the valuable information. It seems that there is no clear cut winner in terms of best JHP in .45 so I'll try 200 rounds of either Hornady or Federal and see how that goes. I'll post back in a few weeks (crossing fingers) with my gun/mag/ammo configuration to let people know what worked!

14. gwk4667

gwk4667 New Member

When your finances allow try to pick up a good 22 that matches your weapon as closely as possible. If you are getting a 1911 try a Chiappa 1911-22 I got mine new in box for $275.00 made in Dayton Ohio ( I know an Italian company ). There are many others out there.

You can go the range and blow thru 300 rounds really quickly then a mag or two of the 45. Good training and good fun and the 22 will have so little recoil you will develop great "muscle memory" - - - not bucking or jerking that will carry over to your 45

If you come to my range as a novice I will start you on a 22 even if you are a 300# muscle builder, move you up over a couple of sessions and after about your third time you will be proficient with what ever you chose to carry.

22s Great training and cheap fun!

15. tankmechanic

tankmechanic New Member

I carry Win. PDX1's and love them.