NAPA Valley Quake 6.0

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Bigcountry02, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

You all in California, stay safe!

Not sure if the California quake 6.0 is related to the Chile quake of 6.6 that happened 12 hours prior.

Breaking News has a lot if information and pictures.

https://www.breakingnews.com/topic/san-francisco-earthquake-august-2014/

For any of you wine drinkers!

[​IMG]
    Another image of tumbled wine caskets at Saintsbury Winery near Carneros, Calif., after the earthquake

[​IMG]
    Stacks of wine caskets collapse at Napa Barrel Care after earthquake

[​IMG]
    Napa winemakers surveying the damage following the overnight 6.1 earthquake

2. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

For those that care, VikingDad & VikingGal are Fine. It was 100 miles north of him. Our prayers go out to anyone affected by the California and Chile quakes......

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

3. Bigcountry02

Glad you okay.

Did you feel any shaking?

4. DrFootball

Not me, I'm in Arizona, several hundred mikes from where it happened. So e of us were concerned for our Northern California members.
    I remember in 2010 or 11 we had a minor Quake back east, centered in a Northern Virginia. We felt it on Long Island. For about 35 seconds my house shook, 2 pics fell off their wall hangers, and my Dog then(BG-Before Gator, we had Mo( Shlomo) was freaked...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  5. Bigcountry02

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

It's a conspiracy I tell ya!

Anything to drive up the price of wine.
    (As if California wine isn't too expensive already.)

7. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Hey all, I have been too busy to be on much (not because of the quake- just life). VikingGal and I are OK. Haven't felt so much as an aftershock. We have many friends who are affected though, most of whom work in the wine industry. Our one good friend only lost one bottle of wine out of his collection but he said all of his stemware was broken. That's actually a pretty significant loss as he has custom stemware (thats wineglasses to all of you Budweiser drinkers) that can cost over $100 each piece :eek:. He dais he literally had to use water glasses for wine!

He posted on his FB page a local news video that showed grapes had been shaken off of the vines- which ruins them for making wine for the most part. The ground was covered in grapes in the video. This is right before harvest so it has probably ruined a large part of the 2014 crush. The upside I guess is that many of these wines are the very expensive ones that are out of my pay grade. The cheap wine grapes are grown in the Central Valley (or I beg the good stuff off of my neighbors;)).

There are only three people critically injured, one is a 13 year old kid who was crushed by a fallen chimney. About 300 or thereabouts injured.

8. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Speaking of wineries affected by earthquakes, a friend of mine has one down in Hollister where the main building is bisected by the San Andreas Fault. The building was built in the 1800's and since then the two halves have moved something like 15 or 20 feet. Here is a pic of the gap in the wall inside that has been created by the slip. Note the floor, and the wall on the left used to be the same wall sat the one on the right. Make sense? :D

Attached Files:

9. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

My cat woke me up, and after the passage of the P wave and then the S wave, we both went back to sleep at 3:20 a.m.

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have to get in contact with the Napa Valley wine makers and have offered to take care of any barrels and bottles of wine they need to keep safe!:p:p

sadly they haven't called back yet to accept my offer!:(:(

but i'm hopeful the phonelines are just down and they will get back to me shortly!:D:D

11. DrFootball

And how are they getting these wine caskets to you Axxe?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talkh

12. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

13. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

He's right Doc. Its wine casks or barrel. (Barrel is preferred around here).

14. DrFootball

Yeah, that's what I meant. "CASKS" I skipped Wine in college and after,. Went strait to Whiskey...

15. Axxe55

by special helicopter. i told them to send you word when they were ready to go so that you could airlift them here to Texas!;)

16. DrFootball

Cool, except you forgot something Axxe. Except as a passenger, I have not been in the cockpit since 1991. Trust me, it's not like I don't wanna be flying again, but you can work Pedals when your feed don't work right, and you can't Feel em...but if you insist, my pal has a Bell 212L ( civilian Huey) which could prob. Lift a net with 6 or 7 of them( "CASKS")

17. Axxe55

jeez Dr. Bill. how hard can it be? it's like riding a bicycle!:p

big propeller on top goes faster and faster and the thing lifts up! :D:D

18. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Lets see, a cask is 60 gallons, multiply that times 8.3 lbs (for water anyhow) and how many can you carry? Don't forget to add in the weight of the oak cask itself which is probably 50 lbs. :p

19. Bigcountry02

Screw the Huey, find an Chinook CH-47F version. :D