Nagant Revolver

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by texaswoodworker, Apr 26, 2012.

1. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Well, I got a 1937 Tula Nagant Revolver as a gift from my mom, and I like it. :D

The trigger is a little hard to pull in DA, but it's not too bad. It's pretty good in SA. The cylinder also locks up like a vault. To top that off, it also pretty comfortable to hold. The bore is a little dark, but the rifling is sharp, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I do have one problem with it though, I can find any ammo for it around here. There is no 7.62 Nagant, 32 S&W Short, 32 S&W Long, or 32 H&R Magnum around here. :(

Looks like I will either be ordering the ammo, or ordering the reloading supplies. I'm leaning towards the reloading supplies. What do you guys think?

Pics to come later.

2. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Congrats, I'm thinking you need a brother. I'll volunteer myself and let mom know my birthday is coming up :D Reloading would allow you to shoot more in the long run. As it has been said you don't save money when you reload you just shoot a lot more.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012

3. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

I always thought they were double action only. I swear I had read that somewhere.

Anyway, congrats on the gift. I always wanted to pick one up whenever I see them at the gun shows. Somehow I always buy something else. :/

Also I wasn't aware they could fire the .32 rounds. Good to know.
    Good luck with it and enjoy!

4. texaswoodworker

lol, I plan on shooting the heck out of this thing. :D I just found some ammo for it 60 miles away. I had a choice between 32 S&W Long and 32 H&R Mag. Both were $30 for a box of 50, so I went with the H&R. I will definetly be reloading.

I think some were DA only, but mine is DA/SA.

You should pick one up. $100 for a good, functional, safe to shoot gun is not bad.

5. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

We have a show coming up next weekend. Supposed to be 1000+ vendors there. I'm sure I'll find one and pick it up.

Be sure to post some photos of your targets and such. I'd like to know the accuracy of them.

6. texaswoodworker

I think they have decent accuracy depeding on what you shoot. They won't beat anyone in any competitions, and they probably won't outshoot most modern revolvers, but they are great for plinking. I'll have to put a few rounds through it to know for sure though. I'll probalby be going to the range on Saturday. :D

If you do put anything other than 7.62 Nagant ammo in it (it HAS to have the casing's neck above the bullet), be sure to clean it (in the retaining pen area) every 25 rounds or so so the cylinder doesn't lock up from lead build up. (thank you Jon for that info)

You don't have to deal with lead build up if you do what I'm going to do and reload using FMJ rounds. (.311 is what a lot of people recommended. You may have to resize the bullets if you get .312) You still wont get the gas seal, but you'll have ammo that fits the gun perfectly.

Guys, when you clean it to prevent the cylinder from locking up, do you just run a brush through it, or do you have to take the cylinder of, or do you do something else? Thanks

Just out of curiosity, what is 32 H&R Mag good for other than plinking?

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

8. texaswoodworker

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Why, that would be because he found an enlisted man to clean it for him! :rolleyes:

10. texaswoodworker

Works for me. :D

11. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Nah, it's nice cause officers sit around all day not doing a thing.

12. texaswoodworker

LMAO. I guess it depends on the officer. 2nd Lieutenants, and Lieutenants do a lot don't they? (I heard they do, but it was basically from one, so I'm not sure)

13. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Yeah the mess a lot of things up and get in the way :D

14. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Let us know when you work out the tactical reload procedure. :)

I had one for a while, and got tired of paying to feed it and gave it up. Now I find myself needing one to fill out my Ruskie collection.

15. texaswoodworker

I'll be sure to post my results when I start reloading. :D

16. texaswoodworker

Here she is. Made in 1937 by the Tula Arms Plant. (lol, whats cool is that my grandmother was born in 1937 :D)

It also has as many stamps as my Mosin. :eek:

lol, it looks good with my 1939 Tula Mosin Nagant 91/30. :cool:;)

Attached Files:

17. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Very nice Aaron...

C3's correct that the DA revolvers were given to the officers and SA were given to the enlisted. Reason being, the enlisted were not trusted not to waste ammo in battle. As an fyi, there is a fella named "Thenagantman" on youtube who's got a real nice series of videos on this revolver everything from ammo choices, disassembly/reassembly, and "tuning" the trigger pull. worth checking out imo.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  18. texaswoodworker

Thanks for the info, I'll have to look at some of his videos tonight.

19. texaswoodworker

Well, first thing tomorrow, I'm off to the range. I got some 32 H&R that is expensive as hell, so I'll probably just go through 25 rounds for now. That box the 32 H&R came in looks really old. It has a lot of wear on it, and some really old looking designs. The brand is Ultramax, and the box is a blueish green color with two revolvers on the front, and two crossed lever action rifles on the sides. Any ideas on the age? I'll try to post a pic tomorrow.

20. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Never owned a Russian Nagant. Will it handle the pressures of the H&R Mag? I would think that the cases would split in the chambers. I have a 7.5 Swede Nagant. This is a very well made revolver. I broke the hand loading a .32 H&R load in that gun.:)