Nagant Revolver

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by JonM, Dec 9, 2011.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

the wife and i went to the pistol range this afternoon then dinner then hit the gunshow over in milwaukee. she picked up some t-shirts and we were going isle to isle and showing her various old war relics. someone had a nice tokerev svt-40 for 800-ish. we came across a display of very nice condition nagant revolvers she saw the price and said get one thats cheap enough. how could i argue with her!!

so ive got a very nice tula made nagant. pick it up friday. plans are to find someway to have the barrel threaded and get a supressor for it.

no pics till friday couldnt use a camera inside the show

2. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I've got to get my hands on a Nagant Revolver before they become expensive, or before ammunition is non existant.

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

I want one real bad too. At the kind of price those are going for it would be hard for me to pass up.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

its a good addition to the mosin 91/30. kinda the diametrical opposite of my colt python heh. a couple ammo companies make new manufactured gascheck rounds for it. its not a gun you get to shoot tons of cheap bullets like the 91/30 its more a military collector gun you fire 50 rounds now and then.

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

Yes, but bulk surplus rounds can be found, and pretty cheap too. I think AIM has some. .32 smith or short will feed it too.

I want one by tula, since my 91/30 is tula.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

dont use lead without cleaning every 30 roundsish it will lead up the cylinder pin. when using those rounds.

there are also 32acp cylinders for it too.

7. OzarkRecluse

OzarkRecluse New Member

You're going to put a supressor on a revolver? Makes me think you've watched too many movies.

8. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Actually, this is possible with this revolver. The cylinder moves forward to create a seal when you pull the trigger. Here is a video or you can find others on You Tube. I am glad I got one a few years back. They are really cool looking but ammo is expensive and odd looking.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvF4yurWSc0]Silenced 1895 Nagant revolver (NFA) - YouTube[/ame]

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

Its one if not the only revolver that can be very effectively suppressed.

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

I want to say the british made a gas seal revolver, but I may be confusing that with their semi auto revolver.

11. Yes, Trip286, the Brits had a suppressed revolver with a shroud mechanism that contained the report from the cylinder gap. It wasn't a gas seal in the same sense as the Nagant, but it was modified for suppressor use.

A quick on line search shows up a couple of other revolvers modified for suppressor use. Semi-auto pistols with proper suppressors make more noise from the slide operating than from the report. A suppressed revolver leaves no cases. The biggest problem with mounting a suppressor on a revolver is keeping the front sight intact.

12. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

Maybe he's watch too many movies but you havent read enough firearms history...

That being said, I've fired a suppressed nagant...and it was by far the quietest gun i've ever seen. It was straight up funny how quiet it was. You honestly hear the hammer fall, then the bullet hit.

Neat lil' piece of history.

13. MaxImpactGuns

MaxImpactGuns New Member

Yeah I've also been eyeballing this little gem for awhile. Just getting the funds and dealing with a transfer. I'm in the process of getting my own FFL then I won't have any issues. I've seen some Tula manufacturing ones online for around 110+ shipping.

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

A little more on the suppressors.
    I found out that Smith and Wesson actually made a model 29 in extremely limited quantities capable of being suppressed. Like 500. The intent was to send them to Vietnam for the poor souls who got the fantastic duty of going into the VC tunnels. The idea never got off the ground, and I think many of them were destroyed.

15. MaxImpactGuns

MaxImpactGuns New Member

Hell I'm pretty new to gunsmithing but I'd assume with the right machines and talent you could mod anything for a suppressor. I know a guy locally that does. I'll email him and see what he says.

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

I don't see why not, but I can see where the effectiveness could vary immensely.

Everything is possible with imagination. Walt Disney said so!

I want a suppressor for my 91/30, that will attach using the same type of lock as the bayonet. As far as I know, those only exist as full custom jobs. I've seen one once on youtube, but can't find anything else at all on them.

17. tellmaster207

tellmaster207 New Member

Trip can't you get a cylinder in .32 for the Nagant revolvers? I've got one with all the accessories for like 90 bucks with very little use. I paid the extra $5 or $10 for the hand pick.
    I did shoot it & personally I think it sucks. One of the worst revolvers I've ever shot. but world war 2 firearms are only getting harder to find & more expensive. So get'em while there hot.

18. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Active Member

The World of Nagant

http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/artisans%20identifies%20nagant/a%20nagant%20gb.htm

Handgun

Nagant 1877 Gendarmerie is a rolling block hand gun

Nagant 1878

Nagant 1878-86

Nagant 1883

Nagant 1884 Gendarmerie

Nagant 1887

Nagant 1887 calibre .22

Serbian Nagant 1891

Nagant 87/93

Nagant 87/93 Törnell

Nagant 1893 Norway

Nagant 1895

Nagant 1895 Gépéou (?)

Nagant 1895 short

Nagant 1898

Nagant 1910

Nagant brezilian .44 cal

Nagant "Fiel"

Rifle

Nagant-Remington a double barrel rolling block rifle

Rolling block NAGANT

Pontifical rifle Remington-Nagant. one of 5000 produced for Vatican guards

Mylonas rifle (Greece)

Rifle .410

Fusil militaire Nagant

Attached Files:

19. cuate

cuate New Member

I have two 1895 Nagant pistols, both what collectors call "refurbs" and both good shooters. First one is a 1944 Model, was missing some parts and I got it very cheap, ordered parts and made it servicible. Second is made in 1932 and is pretty, tight and servicible in every respect. I got a box of Privi 7.62X38r ammo ordered with pistol and bought another box at a local gun store. Read on forums how to reload with .30 Carbine dies and been doing that but the other reloading method is with Lee Nagant Dies and Starline 32-20 brass, readily available. I just today ordered the latter. I load Hornady XTP JHP bullets, resized to .309 (Lee Resizer). standard small pistol primer, 3.5 grains of "Trail Boss" gunpowder and into Privi fired brass. Accurate for sure !