Nagant M1895

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by jarhead0881, Jul 7, 2013.

1. jarhead0881

jarhead0881 New Member

I've found a Nagant M1895 revolver that I could pick up for a song. It includes all the accoutrements that it was originally issued with and a box of rounds. Not planning on doing anything with it but to just add another MilSurp to the collection. I'm kind of on the fence about it. Anybody have any experience with these? I know they used to be everywhere.

2. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

They are interesting in design. I have reloaded for and shot Nagants. They score low in fit and finish . The Nagant is interesting to shoot and experiment with. If you are interested in Military handguns buy it.;)

3. jarhead0881

jarhead0881 New Member

Alrighty! Thanks for the input! Yeah, I've heard mixed things about them. For being a $100 MilSurp revolver, you can't beat it. Not like I'll be using it for EDC or anything! Just a quirky little gun to take out and play with on occasion. Thanks again.

4. jarhead0881

jarhead0881 New Member

I also like the idea of a revolver that you can suppress. Strange strange strange. But I like it!!

5. jniedbalski

jniedbalski New Member

I have one and I reload for it. It is fun to shoot and vary accurate. The power of factory rounds is vary week but make great target loads. I have shot 32 h and r mags out of mine but the cases bulge a little . After running the h and r cases through the lee resizing die they shoot even better . I have resized factory cases but found out some brands are a little long overall length and want to hang up on the forcing cone and have to be trimmed. It is fun to shoot and reload for but for reloading it is a little more work to do than other shells . There are not the best looking pistole but like the nagant riffle they work

6. JW357

JW357 New Member

I would absolutely do it too, especially for a c note. I want one. They're just so interesting.

7. jniedbalski

jniedbalski New Member

I bought mine for 69$ a few years ago and will buy another one soon

8. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

Got my c&r to buy one then the Hook thing happened. What was a $100 rig is now on auction sites for $250. If you hear of another one for $100, let me know!

9. jarhead0881

jarhead0881 New Member

Will do. I'm going to the gun show in Melbourne Florida in a few weeks and if I find any for sale I'll post the info.

10. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

11. phildenton

phildenton New Member

anyone know where i could get an original 7.62 nagant cylinder? i got mine and it only had a 32acp aftermarket one. it shoots ok, but id like to try the original ammo for it...tia

12. jarhead0881

jarhead0881 New Member

I've been looking high and low. The only one I've found was on armslist.com by a private seller for $50. You might be able to find more on an auction website.

13. dlh2689

dlh2689 New Member

I've considered buying one of these myself. Every time I go to buy one I end up coming home with something else.

14. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

If you buy one, buy it for the history, because they are horrible quality handguns that are very expensive to feed. That said, I miss the one I sold.....:)

15. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

What? :confused:

They are not a S&W, but they certainly are not horrible quality guns. Mine's pretty good. Reliable, accuracy is ok, and the fit and finish on it are surprising good for an old Russian revolver from WWII (Mine is from 1937). The original trigger is a little heavy, but that can be fixed with a little tweaking. Right now, the single action trigger on mine is really nice.

As for the ammo, new factory ammo is about $0.44 per round, surplus is $0.34 a round, and I can reload it for about $0.16 per round.

The history and the design of this revolver is pretty interesting too.

16. TrangTuan

TrangTuan New Member

The ammo for the Nagant m1895 is kinda hard to find now, so i guess if is possible to rechamber to another cal, i would do it.

17. phildenton

phildenton New Member

They are actually very robust, they just have an extremely heavy trigger. Yes ammo can be difficult to find, but right now that is true of most calibers.

18. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

If ammos a problem u might check at academy i was roaming through the ammo section and came across. It was like holy crap thats 7.62 nagant. It wasnt at to bad a price either at like $22

19. GonzoGeezer

GonzoGeezer New Member

Palmetto State Armory is selling PPU and Fiocchi for $15 a box. Lowest price around. Be prepared for the typical glacial rate of shipping.

20. Saman

Saman New Member

I reamed mine out to .32-20. The ammo has to be loaded 1/10" short. The bullets hit the back of the barrel if full length .32-20 factory rounds are used. I own the reamers.

After conversion, the original ammo can be fired in the revolver,

Doug

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015