NAA Mini Revolvers

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by pioneer461, Jan 4, 2011.

1. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

I didn't see any previous discussions on this in the search function, so here goes.

For ever, I've enjoyed having small frame, rim fire handguns. Over the years I've had several derringer models, some work well, some others, not so well. I currently have a Cobra .22 magnum derringer that works as well as any other I have owned. It is a joy to shoot and reasonably accurate. I'm thinking about picking up an NAA Mini Revolver (5 shot) in .22 magnum, and would like feedback from anyone who has owned one. I don't care what your cousin Larry said about his NAA, I only want first hand info.

Just so we don't get side tracked with topic creep, under no circumstances will I ever consider carrying one as a self defense gun. I'm a believer that any self defense handgun should be of a caliber that begins with the number "4," so that's not even an issue. I only use the little pistols for target / plinking. I just want to get some input on the reliability and quality of workmanship. I saw Bob Munden shoot one accurately at 100 yards on TV and they have been around for decades, so I may want to purchase one.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I have not shot one, but have had a couple come through.

To me, they seem to be pretty well made. I would be interested in a range report.

3. General_lee

General_lee New Member

I own a 5 shot .22 magnum NAA.
    Mine is the standard model, not the PUG or Black widow.
    At first, I had problems with the cylinder pin popping out after a couple shots, so I called NAA (very nice, friendly CS) and they told me they were going to send me a new cylinder pin and if that didn't work, send it to them and they would fix it for free.
    I got the new pin in the mail a few days later and it seems to have fixed the problem.
    Their guns all appear to be very well made, all stainless steel.
    Even though I had problems with mine, I would buy another NAA because I know they have great customer service.
    I'm looking at their PUG and the Black Widow as they have an improved, more secure locking system for the cylinder pin.

4. FlBob518

FlBob518 New Member

Love my NAA

I have the standard .22 mag. Sad to say it is as well built as my old Smith and Wesson handguns. Why sad, I guess it reminds me of when guns were solid. For Christmas my daughter gave me the laser that goes on it... makes it look like a big boy gun. Can't say enough about the quality of the gun.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  5. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

I stock most of the NAA guns, there are sooo many, plus the auto guns also.
    I think you'll be most comfortable shooting one of their Black Widow or Mini-Master revolvers, but The Buntline & The Duke look like fun too...

6. BlackWidow

BlackWidow New Member

I use the Black Widow (in .22 LR) as my EDC. It's a beautifully-made weapon, and fits my hand really well, unlike some of the smaller NAA minis.

I consider it to be perfect for concealed carry, but opinions differ, obviously.

7. freefall

freefall New Member

My neighbor carried one all the time in a tiny belt pouch for years. Til one day after loading it he was letting the hammer down, it slipped and he shot a hole in his left ring finger. Haven't seen it since.

8. powg

powg New Member

naa

i have a 22/22mag ...only 2 problems.the part of the hammer that strikes the rimfire got a small burr on it...from the hard cci ,and 1 chamber in cylinder had a crack in it ...also from cci. naa replaced the hammer /cyl..no charge ,great customer service .i installed the holster/grip ...i love the little gun ,carry it always.

9. Moe M.

Moe M. New Member

I had one, the standard model in .22 RF.. It was as good as any of the best quality guns I've ever owned, fit and finish were first rate, and it was a real hoot to shoot.
    It was a great conversation piece, fairly accurate, although, every shot required the gun to be reposioned in your hand, like I said, it's a fun gun, as for anything else, it beats a punch in the nose and that's it.

I'd say in the magnum caliber, it may be unpleasant to shoot at best.

10. BlackWidow

BlackWidow New Member

If it's just for a fun gun, range toy, or conversation piece, you could hardly do better. The workmanship is top notch, they are reliable, and the lifetime warranty includes great customer service and quick turnaround times.

If you want to be able to shoot it well, look to the larger Magnum frame. That would include the Magnum Mini, plus the Pug, Black Widow, and Mini-Master. With the larger frame and grips, the gun will not jump in your hand and you will not have to re-position after every shot. They are capable of excellent accuracy but it takes some practice to shoot well at longer distances because they are so short and light in the hand.

If you don't care about .22Mag for self-defense, get the single cylinder in .22LR.

I think they're a great value - a proven classic that will last a lifetime.

11. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

Thanks to all for the responses. That is precisely what I was looking for. I have a pretty good stable of .22 LRs, both handguns and rifles and there is just "something" about the .22 WMR that I like. I will add one of these puppies to my collection and look forward to punching holes in stuff with it.

12. BlackWidow

BlackWidow New Member

The .22 Magnum out of these small, short-barreled guns is pretty impressive. The flash and bang are like a .357 but without the recoil.

13. Gadget

Gadget New Member

I've had mine (17HMR, Black Widow) for several years and have shot several of the smaller 22 mag/22 lr models. The firearms are built to swiss-watch standards, with tight tolerances and lots of meat in the small parts. The company offers great CS, with no questions asked repairs. I prefer the black widow grip rather than the birds-head grips on the smaller frame models. As far as accuracy, I can place 5/5 in a paper plate at 25 yards anytime I care to. I eyeballing the new break-top model, but am waiting till the prices come down a little before I order one.

14. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

Range Report

I picked up an NAA Mini Revolver last week and shot it this past weekend. I selected the .22lr / magnum combo, with the 1 5/8" barrel. I agree with those who are impressed with the quality and workmanship of the little revolvers, it is top notch. I've owned .22 mag. derringers before, and I must say that I was surprised by the recoil of the magnum loads. :eek: In the derringers it was not as intense, but those were heavier guns.

I put about 30 or so rounds of magnum and about 20 LR through it, without a hiccup. I had to get pretty creative with Kentucky "windage" while using the sights. At about 10 yards, it shot consistently 4-5 inches low. I had much better accuracy point shooting. I think this will be a keeper, as a friend of mine described them as a "taking out the trash gun."

Thanks again to all of those who helped me making the purchasing decision.

[​IMG]

15. billdeserthills

You can always file a little off the front sight & correct that height problem:D

16. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

Uh oh. Now you've done it. I hadn't actually considered that, so now it is going to bug me, but I am loathe to take metal removal tools to my firearms. I'm going to have to give that some thought.

17. billdeserthills

It will also help with the "Quick Draw"!:D