N.e.f. Tracker ii slug gun quality?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by old fart, Dec 2, 2012.

1. old fart

old fart New Member

i have a chance at a good deal at a local shop i think. they have a new nef tracker 2 slug gun for $139 down from the regular $209. the gun is brand new but old stock, it is a nef made in gardner mass. the store is selling the gun as they said they've had it a few years. is this a good deal?, i have been looking for a slug gun. is this a good gun? thanks

2. akers06

akers06 New Member

Does it have a rifled barrel

3. old fart

old fart New Member

yes, the barrel is fully rifled. it has williams iron sights. thanks

4. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

For that price, I don't see how you can pass if you're in the market for one. I normally recommend the H&R Ultra Slug for a single shot slug gun but they are almost twice the NEF.

5. akers06

akers06 New Member

I would jump all over it then

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

dang decent gun for the price. i'd pay that amount easily. NEF make decent firearms and has been around for a good number of years.

7. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Pretty much it.

Is it drilled and tapped for a scope mount?

8. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member

Had one of these a couple years ago. Decent gun, worked very well. Passed it on to a new hunter last year(15 years old). Only thing i changed was to add wood in place of plastic stock. Boyds carrys these. Great gun buy it and enjoy it.

9. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Id jump on it too, oh wait I did, Haha. I've got a pardner tracker 2, I assume its the same gun. Mine has a fully rifled bull barrel and scope. My fil used it two years ago and killed a buck at 210 yards with a remington copper solid sabot slug. Great guns!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  10. old fart

old fart New Member

i have one more question and if the answer is what i need then i'm going to get it in the morning. i am on a very tight budget and have never been able to see giving $10 or more for 5 sabot slugs. i get the remington sluggers $9.47 for 15 of them, can i shoot the regulars slugs in the tracker ll ? and if so will it shoot them accurate?, my shots at deer will be under 100yds most shots at 50 or less. thanks

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  11. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Rifled slugs in a smoothbore, sabots in a rifled bore.

12. akers06

akers06 New Member

Yes you can...I shoot regular Winchester rifled slugs in my Winchester 1300 with a rifled barrel and I cut holes at 100 yards and actually shoot a tighter group than the Remington Copper solids

13. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I was always told not to as the rifling on the slugs doesn't quite match up to the rifling in your barrel. Smoothbore=cheap sluggers (rifled)
    Rifled barrel=sabots slugs

I only use one of two brands of slugs in my NEF tracker. Either the remington copper solids or hornady sst, both sabot slugs and 2-3/4.

Ill shoot 3" shells if they're free but I see no need to buy them. If a 2.75" won't kill it then neither will a 3".

14. akers06

akers06 New Member

The rifling on the slugs doesn't matter it cuts it's own rifling on the way out just like in light field slugs...also the myth about filling the riflings of your barrel full of lead isn't true either....I was told all of this until I tried it out for myself

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  15. old fart

old fart New Member

thanks akers06, the gun store told me i couldn't shoot them either. i couldn't figure why not, if i fired hundreds of rds mabe but after sights are set the gun will only be fired at deer or hogs. thanks again

16. akers06

akers06 New Member

Exactly and unless your are shooting over 100 yards they will shoot just as accurately

17. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have the same experience as akers06 with rifled slugs in my rifled slug barrel. I have killed 7 deer this season. I shot all but one in the neck. On paper rifled slugs hit a 1 1/2" target at 60 yards almost every time. If I miss the 1 1/2" target it's my fault. I set my scope at 60 yards.

I watch fields early and late. I load my shotgun with sabots in the field. Once I go into the woods I take the sabots out of my gun and reload it with rifled slugs.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  18. old fart

old fart New Member

well i got good news then bad news, (GOOD NEWS) i went to get the gun today and the guy at the store said since the gun had been there awhile and the lighter guns don't sell good i could get it for $125otd WOW so i bought it. (BAD NEWS) i get it home load a slug in it and pull the trigger, the gun fires the breaks open and ejects the empty well i tried a second shell same thingi took it back and they gave me a refund. i liked it too, it handeled great if it just wasn't breaking down when shooting. the factory should have caught this. thanks

19. akers06

akers06 New Member

I hate that for ya man that was a really good deal too

20. akers06

akers06 New Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one lol....