Mystery Rifle---- found metal detecting

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by euronorb, Aug 10, 2008.

1. euronorb

euronorb New Member

Hi everyone.....I found this rifle metal detecting, could anyone give me any information about It ?
    Thank you. :)

Attached Files:

2. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Well---it's really rusty. Probably not the information you are looking for?

Does it have any indication that it had a magazine tube underthe barrel?
    Is there a dovetail in the bottom of the barrel toward the muzzle?
    If so it MIGHT be a Winchester mdl 1890 22 cal pump gun.

Can you take some close up pix of each side of the receiver? Can you
    see any markings on the barrel top?

Bill

3. euronorb

euronorb New Member

Hi Bill....thanks for taking a look.....I will post some close up shots and see If that helps......The barrel seems to be a hexagon shape If thats any help. To rusty to see any markings on the top of the barrel.

Attached Files:

4. JPBeck

JPBeck New Member

I can't help you-- but man that is a cool find. I wonder what the story is behind it. I'd be great as a wall hanging-- super conversation starter.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

6. euronorb

euronorb New Member

Thanks c3shooter......that sure looks like It.

7. BillM

Yup---Pretty sure that's a 1890. Good pictures! It could also be a Winchester 1906, but most of the 1906's had round barrels. Winchester made a zillion 1890's . Some of the early ones were solid frame. Your somewhat rifle shaped piece of rust is a takedown model. There are two places for a serial number on a takedown. One on the tang, one on the bottom of the frame in front of the trigger mechanism toward the muzle end. You might do a little GENTLE cleaning on the bottom frame location and see if there is a readable number. If there is we can determine year of manufacture.

A little further research----Your gun is a standard 3rd model 1890.
    Manufactured between 1907 and 1940.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  8. Righteous

Righteous New Member

where and how did ya find it?

9. euronorb

euronorb New Member

Thanks for all your help guy's......greatly appreciated.

I found It at low tide In a slough (BC,Canada) with a metal detector, It was buried in mud and silt. Also got a 1914 nickel that day and a 1918 large cent.

Thank you once again. :)

10. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Ummm, I dropped that. Can I have it back now?

11. BillM

You might check around with some of the old timers or newspaper archives and see if
    there is a story that goes with your rifle and coins. Ya never know---maybe you
    just solved the BC version of the D.B.Cooper case.

12. junho806

junho806 New Member

so i'm assuming its pretty much unrestorable?
    :p
    but nice find dude!
    :D

13. ScottG

ScottG New Member

Forget that! He'd probably be arrested for having a dangerous weapon....:rolleyes:

14. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Send it to someone in Chicago for their stupid gun buy back program. Y'all could probably get $50 for it courtesy of Richard Daley.

My grandfather was given a Winchester '94 that had been buried in the desert sand for God knows how long. The wood was gone but the steel was in pretty good shape, a liitle pitting but otherwise functional. The action still worked! My uncle had it cleaned up and put a new set of wood stocks on it. He left the metal in the white and has an interesting wall hanger. He did the old string to the trigger trick and shot it, no problems. I tried to convince him to let me load some light load cast bullet ammo for it and shoot it. He wants to leave it a wall hanger. Maybe someday I will get it and have the opportunity to blow my self up with it.