My XDs bubble has burst

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by danolator, Dec 10, 2013.

1. danolator

danolator New Member

Well, I read all the reviews and watched the videos, and I got an XDs 45 anyway. The first 50 rounds produced two light strikes. I read about the death grip you have to keep on this gun in order to avoid that. So I chalked them up to the learning curve. Took it home, cleaned & lubed, added Trijicon HD sights, and Talon rubber grips. Back to the range for more break-in. 3 light strikes and two trigger reset failures. So the lemon (I mean gun) is on its way back to SA.

I will say the CS was very pleasant to deal with and efficient. I received another call tonight for some more in-depth information. I am very pleased with their level of interest in this issue and hope they are successful in identifying and fixing the problem. I will say these guns will go out of battery (round chambered) with the slightest backward pull of the slide 1/8 - 1/4". SA confirmed this over the phone tonight. This happens every time a round is chambered. Personally, I see this as a design flaw and potential issue on the draw. I can imagine a scenario where the gun gets pushed down slightly while holstered going out of battery making it inoperable on the draw.

In my opinion, this gun has a design flaw in the recoil spring, the retractor, or both. Neither is likely related to my trigger reset issue. I hope they fix my gun, but how, or even if I carry it will require a lot of thought and shootin'. For what it's worth, I put snap caps in all my Glocks and Rugers and could not replicate the battery issue.

2. crazycharlie2

crazycharlie2 New Member

It will be interesting to see what CS has to say and does.
    I have an XD 45 Tactical and the recoil spring is pretty 'stout' to say the least.
    Hard to see where re-holstering could cause the problem unless the holster is a problem.

3. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

ive never had a problem with my tactical xd 40 never any malfunctions in over 1000 rounds

4. danolator

danolator New Member

Yea. I don't hear of this issue with XD, just the XDs model.

5. refugeepj

refugeepj New Member

mine requires a very stout grip to function reliably, much more firm than any other of my semi-autos. it also required a feed ramp polish and a light polish in the chamber. one more requirement was around 400 rounds to break her in. I just got her back after the long trip to the "mothership" and tested her out. after the absence I forgot the death grip and she reminded me. when I remembered she was again flawless.

6. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

My early production XDs hasn't had any issues, out of all the handguns I've owned Baby Desert Eagle .40(metal frame), Glock 23, Bodyguard 380, M&P 9c, XDs .45, and Glock 19 I've only had problems of any kind w the Desert Eagle and the G19. I hadn't yet sent my XDs in for the recall and it's been flawless w 1,000+ rounds so far and is my favorite so far.

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Just hoping I get mine back soon. Was scheduled to have it back before Christmas but due to unforseen reasons I have longer to wait . Mine had several hundred rounds through it without one issue. Hope it comes back that way

8. 1411

1411 New Member

Mine is back from Springfield, yet to shoot it since the adjustment. Before sending it in I had developed some nice 'light' rounds to play with at the range. Hope they still work with the updated interior.

9. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

I'm really worried whatever "upgrades" they do will make it have issues?¿? I love mine as it is, tho during dry firing I have noticed the firing pin sticks out about 1 out of 3 times, it goes back in really easy but does make me a little nervous that it could possibly cause it to fire when chambering a round. Anyone know of any actual cases of any unintended firing due to a stuck firing pin?

10. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Never heard that, one issue was firing 2 rounds with one trigger pull . Supposedly those either did it out of the box or not at all . Some other issues were FTFire

11. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

The rumor I heard from a local gun shop was the firing pin was too long, the two shot burst were due to the firing pin being stuck out so as the second round was chambered the stuck pin struck the primer.

12. danolator

danolator New Member

Just got mine back yesterday. They sure did return it wet & I appreciate that as it keeps the gun protected from the elements during transport. There was no explanation for the cause, but the packing slip said they "improved" the disconnector & adjusted the extractor tension. Got long guns waiting for today's range trip. I'll let you know how she performs in a week. Merry Christmas everyone.

13. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

Did they include a 7 rd magazine?

14. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

My understanding is that all repaired guns are coming back with the extended grip 7 rd mag

15. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

I heard that but since I'm late to the game and w my luck they have quit since they have faster turnaround

16. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

mine was supposed to be back this week, but due to blah blah blah you will see it in a couple more week . :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
    Blame it on the government , they cant do their job right or in a timely fashion either :D

17. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

Just called Springfield I will get my label mon or Tue, they were very courteous and verified I WILL get a 7 round magazine!!

18. drtybrd97

drtybrd97 New Member

I sent mine back to them back on October the 4th and I am not supposed to get it back until February. Pretty crappy. All "fixed" guns come with the 7Rd mag. I never had an issue with mine but sent it back for piece of mind...wish I wouldn't have. Btw it was an issue with the safety not resetting correctly which caused the double fire. As far as firing when loading I'm not sure what caused that. The "fixed" guns have a 7 lb trigger pull and upgraded internals. According to the emails from SA. Pretty disappointed with the whole situation.

19. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

I'm not looking forward to a heavier trigger, after 500 or so rounds my trigger was bout where I wanted it:-/ May end up getting a spring kit so she's still as accurate as it was(I was very surprised/happy at how accurate it was).

20. drtybrd97

drtybrd97 New Member

Same here. I put about 300 through mine. Sucks that they'll have for 4 plus months. And I never had any issues with it...