my xdm 40 is jamming.

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by joshmb1982, Sep 13, 2009.

1. joshmb1982

joshmb1982 New Member

greetings all. got a problem with my SA xdm 40. i got my ccw and bought this pistol back in march. a few weeks later i put some rounds down range without a hiccup. took it out for the 2nd time today and am having nothing but trouble with it. the ammo i was using is fiocchi 155gr hornady xtp hollow pointswith a nickel casing, 165gr fmj-fn from georgia arms(factory reloads), and federal 180gr fmj-fp.

the problem is it doesnt want to properly feed rounds from the mag into the chamber. ive tried 3 different mags so thats not it. the problem started at the range and was told i was probly "limp wristing it". which it seems i was. when i stifened up my wrists and held on a bit tighter itn ran fine. also ive only put around 100+- rds total through this pistol.

so i get home and take it apart run a boresnake through the barrel going both ways. oil everything and whipe it clean. cleaned off anything that looked like it was dirty. put it back together locked the slide back inserted a mag hit the release and it jammed again. can i limp wrist it when loading the 1st round??

what the jam looks like is:
    as the slide comes forward and strips a round ut of the mag the bullet come up the ramp and just begins to slide into the chamber and it stops. i can see the rim of the casing is inline with the extractor but it wont slide up and complete the cycle.

ive never heard anything but good about the xd series of pistols. thats why i bought one. so anyone know what gives?

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Is the extractor too tight?

Is there anything on the breech face?

3. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

it might just be the hollow points your using try running some flat nosed rounds see what happens, keep us updated.

4. joshmb1982

joshmb1982 New Member

i did use flat nosed rounds as well. sorry but thats what i ment by 165 gr fmj-fp(flat point)

the first time a took the pistol out it worked fine. how do i tell if the extractor is to tight? and everything is clean. no debris anywhere.

5. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

That's just weird. I've never heard of this happening with this gun.

Feed ramp smooth?

:confused::confused::confused:

6. joshmb1982

joshmb1982 New Member

yes. far as i can tell anyway. and doesnt do it every single time. but more then enough to worrie me. probly close to 50% of the time.

7. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Does the round completely clear the magazine?

8. joshmb1982

joshmb1982 New Member

yes. i hit the mag release button drop the mag out and the ruond stays in place. it doesnt move untill i pull the slide rearward and lock it in place. and even then i sometimes have to put a cleaning rod down the barrel to push the live round out as it is slightly stuck.

9. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

This is gonna bug me now.

Did you get it from a small shop, big chain, place with an in house gunsmith?

10. joshmb1982

joshmb1982 New Member

ordered it off of gunbroker. had it sent to a small local ffl dealer near my town. i just ran 2 mags through it working the slide manually. slowly. and it didnt happen once. wth is going on with this thing?

11. joshmb1982

joshmb1982 New Member

also what would hollow points have to do with it. if you cant run hollowpoint defensive loads through a pistol what good is it?

12. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Some guns do hang up with anything other than a round nose, not an XD problem. Hence some of those rounds with the polymer ball in the HP.

The best explanation I have to offer is that XD mags have an incredibly tough spring that needs to be broken in. You may have noticed how tough it was to load when you got it.

You could try to load- unload the mags about a dozen times to break the spring in. Sounds like the spring in the mag is pushing up faster than the slide can finish the cycle.

Beyond that, I'm at a loss.:confused:

13. joshmb1982

joshmb1982 New Member

i have 5 mags for this pistol. each one has been under full load pressure since i got them in around may. specificaly to break in the springs.

14. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Compression does not break in springs. Compression-decompressing does.

Try it with one. If that one runs with no problems, then you have your answer.

15. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I am at a complete loss on this issue. I have never heard of an XD having this issue. I agree with benning, it sounds almost like a mag issue. Did you buy it new? If so, I would try using just one maybe 2 mags and get them broken in a little, if that doesn't work give Springfield a call.

16. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You didn't drop the weapon or have some other shock occur did you?

I would not wait, call Springer and describe the issue. If they are aware of a fix, get it done! Don't suffer with it any longer.

17. joshmb1982

joshmb1982 New Member

nope havent dropped it at all. only bumps its had is in the shoulder holster when i reach for stuff. im gonna give working the mags a try and see what that does. if that doesnt help ill call springfield armory and see what they have to say. thanks for all the advise guys. ill keep you posted .

18. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Have you tried a less than capacity load out of the mag. Try incrementing the number of rounds until you get to 16 and see if the problem only occurs with a full mag. I have heard that the XDM mag at capacity really puts a lot of pressure on both the mag release catch and the slide. The tension of the round pushing up on the slide may be slowing it down to the point you get a fail to feed.

I have a similar issue with a 40S&W XD where I cannot load a full 12 rounds to the mag.

19. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Not to belabor the point but a few more things to consider:

• Are the mags truly 40 S&W, never tried it but you might get a 40S&W round in a 9mm mag or a 45 ACP mag - factory or gunbroker.com may have shipped wrong mags
    • Are all parts 40S&W, frames are similar in many ways and may have come from factory with 9mm extracter - is gun new? if so, incorrect assembly may have occurred at factory otherwise someone may have upgraded something using low quality parts or done so incorrectly.
    • Any burrs or shavings visible in frame, casing fragments possibly binding casing as its loaded
    • does round eject from mag smoothly or flip upwards when you manually unload mag, upward flip may misalign round with barrel when fed causing jam
    • does mag drop freely when released. Does it seat correctly in mag well.
    These all seem obvious but I have never heard of a pistol that just cannot load a round without some sort of visible damage or broken parts.

20. joshmb1982

joshmb1982 New Member

i shipped it off to springfield armory today for them to look at. as for the questions. yes they are all xdm 40 mags. says it on the floor plate and a round count of 16 on the back. as far as parts of it being for a 9mm. i cant say for certain no. didnt take a mic to anything. but the pistol does fire and eject spent cases. i field strippd in many times and didnt notice any burrs anywhere. there are parts with a fairly sharp edge but it feels smooth to the touch. mags insert and drop free with ease. with the full 16 rounds in the mag and slide closed it is fairly hard to press the mag release button. when i work the slide slowly by hand the shells are spit out of the side. though when i was fireing it a few emptys did land on the top of my head.

looking at it with a fried at the range the opinion of it was that the extractor was to tight and didt give the rim enough space to reliable slide up under it.