My wish list. comments please.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by sputnik1988, Sep 5, 2011.

1. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I have a long wish list of both long guns and handguns (don't we all). So here I'm making a small list, so as to get personal testimony on them and to know if they are worth buying, kind of sort out the best since I can't buy everything, thanks.

Glock 17 - I've never even held a glock, more or less just want to see what all the fuss is about. And I don't have a 9mm.

M1A - shot one once, loved it. It's just like my Garand, but with the mag and no worries about ammo pressures.

Henry rifle, 357 magnum - always wanted one but not sure about the price, would a .22 be better at like $400 less?

Inter Ordnance AK47 - AKs are getting expensive, but these are U.S made so its not so bad, how is the quality on these things? Worth 500 bucks?

2. opaww

opaww New Member

Not a bad list at all, your picks are sound and will last a life time.

3. paulbrower

paulbrower New Member

Glocks are good. You either love them or hate them. My profile pic is a CCW target that I shot with a Glock 17. When I first got it, my grouping were around 18 inches. Yes, that bad. After a few months working on technique, I can now group in 2 inches at 21 feet.

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

4. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I really like those middle two. The last one I could take it or leave it.

But that first one... you better get your hands on one before you decide you want it. They have all the ergonomic qualities of a paving brick in my hands. :(

5. paulbrower

paulbrower New Member

Hehe. Like I said, you love them or hate them!

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

6. kdwolf

kdwolf New Member

I recently shot a .40 glock...ever since I have been trying to get my hands on one, I LOVED the way it felt and am a big fan of the trigger safety because I would use it for home protection :)

7. fmj

fmj Active Member

Glock = Foreign ugly gun ...and lifes to short to go about packing an ugly gun + We live in AMERICA, we have some damn fine AMERICAN companies that make some damn fine shootin irons...the least you can do is support the home team!

Cant argue the M-1...would love to have one in the vault meself!

Henry .357? Why.357 and not .44 magnum. Bigger holes = Better PERIOD. Other than being pretty and having a smooth action. Not one i would choose. But i guess its the only American made lever gun left to choose from, so i guess i'm painted into a corner.

AK? kinda up in the air on this one. Wouldnt mind one in the safe (as long as its made in America...i have an "American only" rule when it comes to the gun vault) but there are a ton of others higher on the list.

8. fmj

fmj Active Member

Trigger safety = letting the fox guard the hen house!

IMHO!

9. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Heres my take...
    The Glock.. If you want a plastic gun get a S&W Sigma, I had one and liked it, except for the "plastic" part. Less money, almost the same gun. Triggers not as bad as people think, but then again Im use to the rough military triggers.

M1A.... Cant argue with that, I wouldnt mind one, but I gotta get the M1 first... (Lucky you! ;) )

For the lever in a handgun caliber.. I see you have a .45 colt Vaquero (Nice choice! I had one) Why not get the lever gun in .45 Colt as well? Two guns one caliber...

Personally I prefer the SKS to the AK, the SKS doesnt have the rounds per minute like the AK, but if there both semi it really doesnt matter. The SKS is a little more acurate. The SKS was my first gun, ive never had a single problem with it, and ive taken less than good care of it at times..

10. shadamai

shadamai New Member

The Glock 17 and Glock 19 were the first guns I ever shot; I can't remember in which order. The instructor wasn't sure whether to give me a .22 or a 9mm to start with and decided on a Glock 9mm. I actually did pretty well with it and came back to the range several times to rent and shoot both the 17 and 19. I liked both, felt they were reliable, and was considering buying one until I got my hands on a 1911. People seem to love or hate the Glocks; they are very common and perhaps you could rent one and try it. Several people on this forum and the lady at my local gun shop are big proponents of holding a gun to see how it feels in your hands and renting one if possible before buying it and that is some of the best advice on buying a gun that I have gotten.

11. kdwolf

kdwolf New Member

Hey FMJ what is your opinion on the trigger safety I'm curious as I do not know a ton about glocks I just liked the one I shot

12. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

A must have in any wish list should be a 1911. There will still be 1911s in service when all of the Glocks have been recycled into soda bottles.

100 years of service and counting.

13. unclebear

unclebear New Member

M1A kick *** I love'em, Glocks are ok never really been a big fan, personally I've always wanted a chauchat, I know they had major issues but it's just one of those guns.

14. orangello

orangello New Member

If you have never held a Glock, try one vs. a Springfield XD and some other polymer pistolas before you decide. The XD has a similar trigger safety and a "grip safety" similar to what is on a 1911. I like my XD's grip better than the Glocks i have held and used, just personal opinion.

15. fmj

fmj Active Member

My opinion on a trigger safety is simple. Keep you damn finger OFF the trigger until ready to fire. Thats trigger safety. (aka Trigger safety = fox guarding the henhouse)If you MUST have a manual safety got he way of the 1911 A1 with the grip safety and thumb safety.

Just my $2 for what that'll get ya these days!;)

16. kdwolf

kdwolf New Member

Lol! Actually I'm now leaning more towards a 1911 after doing a bit of research thanks for the info! What's a good 1911 in your opinion, I like .45

17. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I had a Taurus and hated it, bought it new and had to send it back the same day because the sear was bad. Great quality control, on top of that, it shot about 8 inches to the right even at close range.

Id steer away from em, especially since there are so many good brands in that have range

18. fmj

fmj Active Member

Been carrying and loving my Springfield armory SS 1911A1 for nigh on 20 years. Drop in a wilson combat trigger group and you have a gun comparable to any Kimber for 1/2-3/4 the $$$...least thats what this brokeasswhiteboy did. ;)

When it comes to hand cannons, i find it AWFUL hard to argue with 100 years of BATTLEFIELD PROVEN RELIABILITY!! Besides, John Moses Browning is one of my "modern" historic heros. I have a few of his toys in my safe...the 1911, a .35 Remington, an Ithica 37... to name a few.

19. fmj

fmj Active Member

TAURUS ARE JUNK!!!!!!!! I had a PT-145 that spent more time in transit to and from the factory for repair than on the range or in my safe. EVERY DAMN time i took it out it broke. Taurus has THE BEST warranty in the business because they NEED IT!!! For the record....Rossis are Taurus!:eek:

20. kdwolf

kdwolf New Member

What's a good price on a 1911?