my wife isnt too keen on guns

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Surftaco, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Surftaco

Surftaco New Member

I am trying to get some ideas to try and get my wife "into" my new hobby that I really enjoy.

She just isn't feeling it. She tells me all the time about people who have negligently discharged their weapon or patients she has seen murdered by criminals. (she is an ER Nurse).

I've been doing my best by keeping my Glock safely locked away in a touch pad safe with a combo trigger lock on it. I also keep it unloaded and my ammo locked away seperately. I guess you could call it a fear of guns.

Keep in mind she is also an Air Force Veteran and has handled firearms before.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

I say get a new wife…. :cool:

Seriously, I don’t think you will ever really change her mind and you will have to learn to enjoy your new hobby without your wife. My experience with medical personnel is they look at the bad stuff (wounds and death) caused by firearms and relate that to all aspects of guns and gun ownership. As for her being in the Air Force she may have qualified with a M16/M4 or maybe a M9 once or twice but unless she was Security Forces, Para-rescue, or Combat Control Team her exposure to firearms was extremely limited to non-existent. Good luck and keep trying to change her mind but I would not be optimistic.

3. RugerShootinGal

RugerShootinGal New Member

Mr. Surftaco I was terrified of firearms all my life then my husband took me to the range and I tried a couple it still scared me but i fell in love with it . Her having firearms experience before may be a reason why she doesnt want to shoot maybe you guys can talk about that. I have a P345 and an LCR they are my guns and I love them I would ask her to go to the range and just watch or try it out and I hope she starts to like it.:)

4. Surftaco

Surftaco New Member

Thanks Ruger thats some great advice.

5. RugerShootinGal

You are welcome I do really understand how she feels I hope you guys can work it out!!!:D

6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I second rugershootingal....take her to a range. My wife had never touched a gun before she met me. I showed her revolvers early on and she fell in love with them. I tried to move her into semi autos but she wasn't interested. She loves her wheelgun and is darn good with it. We both enjoy our time together on the range. Warm her up slowly and she'll come around.

7. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

My wife hated Guns, didn't want to touch them, didn't want them in the house and just plain scared. I talk her into going to the range to just watch and then asked if she wanted to try. She was very hesitant at first, then after shooting it a few times she started liking it more and more.:D Then after the first time, she asked when we were going back and now she owns a .45 and an LCR, wants to get a LCP and her Carry Permit.

Just ask her to go to the Range to watch and then ask her to try. A wife who enjoys Guns equals more Guns.:D

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Find a lady friend to take her shooting. Or find her a beginner class for ladies only. They may be hard to find but I bet they're out there.

Many times it is not the fact that they are that scared of them it is the fact that they don't want to look like a fool in font of you. Maybe ask around at the local store or range and see if a lady would give her some lessons for trade or offer to pay her.

Are you a member of the NRA? If not JOIN NOW and get her a membership as well. There is a beginner pistol class on May 1st in your area. I would sign her and you up for it. It may be good for both of you. Also look for Refuse To Be A Victim Seminars. I do believe these are geared more towards women and teach more than just firearms.

http://www.nra.org/nralocal.aspx

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Let her try something other than your glock. Not everyone likes glocks.

My daughter loves her Elsie Pea, I don't.

[​IMG]

She won't shoot my Elsie Ahrrr but I love it!

[​IMG]

Yet she loves to shoot my Colt Government, go figure.

[​IMG]

Give her some time, let her see how much you enjoy shooting and she will come along.

That, or you will be shooting a lot with the guys.

10. freefall

freefall New Member

Everybody likes to shoot a Colt Gov't.

11. User Name

User Name New Member

+1 on taking her to the range. Take her to a range that rents guns, put her on a .22. Its hard to not like a .22. Most women are afraid of the recoil so if you start her on a .22 then you have a much greater chance of her enjoying it.

12. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Sometimes it just doesn't work. My Ex refused to even consider shooting a gun. She was the type that the more I used logic, the more emotional she got. One of the reasons she's my Ex...
    My current and final wife likes to hunt with my Remington 30-06, and wasn't afraid to take a shot with the Ruger #1 45-70 last Saturday. I'm about to get her shooting handguns, as soon as I can get one to suit her.

13. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Sign her up here and let up talk to her. :)

14. doctherock

doctherock New Member

my wife never really liked guns till i started taking her out. First time she went shooting i had her shooting my xd40, a mac 11 automatic and several other weapons. Now she loves it and even has her own walther p22.

15. Surftaco

Surftaco New Member

right on! I don't have to be at work till noon tomorrow so hopefully I will be able to persuade her to come to the range with me.

16. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Hope she gets into it with you, if not feel free to enjoy it with a friend, one who preferably buys his own ammo.

17. RugerShootinGal

Hopefully she will I think she will come around :)

18. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

When I brought home my first handgun we were living in base housing at Ft. Lewis WA. The wife took one look at the black Colt 1991 Series 80 and sternly announced, "I'll not have ANY handguns in my home!":eek:

To which I calmly replied, "well, you mother is 2 hours south, have a nice trip".:cool:

Think she was watching a lot of Rosie O'donnel back then.

Anyway, she did not leave, she did warm up to idea, and she has been taught how to handle them. I can't say she shares my exuberance for guns but she does know better than to interfere with it.

Our children all shoot and greatly enjoy the time it gives together. We even manage to get MOM to go along once a year, if the whether's nice.:)

19. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

"me and my wife..."
    "my wife and I..."
    "At first my wife didn't like guns...."
    "I, being a wife, didn't like guns...."

..... is everyone like... married?
    I am still 17 (18 here in like 40 days or so). So it should be a bit longer until I marry. Things don't usually work out the way I want them but I would like to get hitched when I am about 22, 23 or so.
    On a side note... one of my buddies will be getting married in September!!!!! WOOT! He is the first! He ain't no fool either, they have been dating for 4 or 5 years.

20. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

It is called Hopolophobia...An irrational fear of weapons. If you knew she was this way when you married her, then you have no excuse but to allow her to be her own person (w/her on phobias). You will not likely "fix it".

If you are hell bent on "correcting her deficiency", you can try:

Logic - She sees far more injuries in the ER from car crashes, yet she still drives. This approach rarely works.

Education - Get her a copy of Armed & Female by Paxton Quigley. The Paxton Quigley Web Page
    Your wife is an educated person (Degree in Nursing?). Education is one of the keys to overcoming any phobia.

Take her to the range - Let her shoot a .22 RIFLE at short range to start feeling comfortable.

Accept it - She is a grown woman who can make her own decisions. If she chooses to not participate in your activity, that is her choice.

Say goodbye - and cut your losses. That part is kind of harsh, but you will look back in 10-15 years and recognize this as a harbinger of your later sorrow.