My wife & daughter thinks im crazy

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by ellwood45c, May 1, 2012.

1. ellwood45c

ellwood45c New Member

My grandson's birthday is in 11 days and the ruger 10/22 i ordered came in yesterday. My grandfather bought me my rirst 22 the day i was born, my wife had a fit when i tried to do the same. But for his first birthday he is getting his 22, i dont care what they say. It will stay with me until its time for him to learn to shot. His first xmas he got a bbgun and so did my granddaughter.
    Was just wondering am i alone in doing this or has anyone else done thiz for there grandkids.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

2. Yunus

Yunus New Member

As long as you are keeping the gun and not letting a toddler have a firearm in their room, I think it's a great gift. This is probably the only gift that your grandchild will remember from their first birthday when they are 20.

I would think a cricket might be a good alternative to a 10/22 for a small child though, very light and compact and inexpensive.

3. opaww

opaww New Member

I see nothing wrong in you getting him a gun

4. krisko09

krisko09 New Member

My son is 15 months old.. my wife had a conniption when i told her i was getting him a gun when he turns 13 lol. Thats the age i got my first gun, thats the age he'll get his.

Sent from my DROID Pro using FirearmsTalk

5. ellwood45c

ellwood45c New Member

I was not allowd to have mine in my room till i was 16, and it will be the same for him. I got to shoot mine when i was ten and hopefuly he will to. I still have mine and i will always keep it with me. My grand father had taken it apart and where it wont be seen wrote my name and the date, i will do the same. My grandaugter is 5 and i have already started with her on gun saftey. Basically never to touch one unless me or momor dad is with her.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

6. fmj

fmj Active Member

When my dad learned my son was born (his first grandson) the FIRST thing he did was go out and get the boy a 410 single shot.

7. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

Nope nothing wrong with it.

8. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

As long as you don't load it and toss it in the crib with him, I don't see the problem. :)

9. willshoum

willshoum New Member

The Shootist........

Owning guns and the proper way to handle said guns is one thing.... Back in the day guns were used for survival and to put meat on the table. Todays kids and thier parents have lost what the gun is all about.......They only see it as a killing tool to take the easy way out.....:mad::mad::mad:

10. LikeABoss

LikeABoss Member Lifetime Supporter

Got my first at 12, single shot 410 started shooting at 9

11. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I think it's fine. Like the others, I was shooting MY OWN gun by about 9.

12. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I think I'd wait a bunch of years. Who knows what changes there may be to firearms by the time he's old enough to be trusted with it.

13. orangello

orangello New Member

Wouldn't the ruger 10/22 charger be better for such small hands?
    ;)

Seriously, though, what about a pellet rifle or bb gun to work up to the .22, perhaps while the infant is usually in the prone shooting position anyways.

I got my first .22 single-shot for Christmas when i was 6; still have it in the safe.

14. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with that. People buy savings bonds and stuff like that for their kids and grandkids long before they will ever be able to use them. Just be sure to teach safety when the time comes.

15. Bsciolino

Bsciolino New Member

I am giving my son my Winchester 94 and a lifetime hunting/fishing license before he is 5. If we don't start early and teach our kids safety and accuracy how will they learn when they get to the "know it all" stages of their life. Sometimes people forget, once a child hits their teen years their brain liquifies and seeps out their ear. Best to learn safety before that happens :D

16. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

My daughter turned 6 and she'll have one soon. Probably a July 4th gift for her.

17. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

We're shooting a number of guns and cartridges who's origins date back over a hundred years. I doubt there's much danger of a huge change in firearms tech in the next 10-15 years. At least in the stuff the average person shoots. Besides, there's always novelty value if you happen to be right.
    Gun laws? That's another discussion.

18. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Probably you’re right. I remember when police used revolvers instead of automatics and solders had wooden stocked rifles with iron sights instead of plastic stocked ‘Proctor Silex’ AR 15s with Red Dots. I’m just thinking things do change, that’s all.

19. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought 2 of my grandsons rifles at 10 &11 (daughters kids). I would get my granddaughter (sons kids) one also if it was not for her airhead mother. I dont trust her around one.

20. yingpin

yingpin New Member

They week that I found out my wife was prego with a son, I went out and picked up a Ruger 10-22 also. I dont know why but that was my first thought.....my boy has to have a his own gun.

I passed my IL Hunter Saftey course when I was 9 years old and my dad gave me a new Remington 870 20ga shortly after. I dont remember when I started shooting a BB gun but it was early.

The more they know the less they wonder....