My week in the Northern Territory on a cull hunt

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by hairbear1, Jul 11, 2011.

1. hairbear1

hairbear1 Member

Well g/day fellas,I've got back last night from a 5 day 6 night cull hunt in the Northern Territory of Australia.It was a round trip of approximately 7000klms.
    I took my 14 yr old son with me as a lesson on how big this country is and to see that the stories I was telling him of pig hunting weren't tales to impress but actual fact.We shot horses,donkeys,wild dogs and pigs and before many of you get rattled about shooting horses and donkeys they are feral pests here and every one shot was used as a bait for pigs.
    My young fella(14 yrs old) scored his 1st pigs and had a grin like a split watermelon.There's a few pics to show so I'll show those that are not too bad as I realise some people aren't real keen about shot horses or donkeys been shown but we got a couple of wild dogs and quite a few feral pigs so I'll show them.

The 2nd pic of the pig was the one I shot with my 30/06AI on a M98 action using 165gn GameKings with 61.5gns of AR2209 behind it and the pig my son shot was with a CMC Mountaineer .270 with a 130 gn GameKing using AR2209 at a range of 10 yds on baits consisting of donkey's and horses. The wild dogs are about the size of a Labrador and between the pigs and them they can reduce a horse or donkey carcass to bones in the space of 24hrs if they're hungry enough.
    I'll show some of the country we had to hunt in as well.

My best pig to date as far as hooks and grinders are concerned but I buggered up a chance on a razorback that was at least half a shoulder bigger than my best pig because I didn't look where I was putting my feet and crunched a dry gum leaf which sent the mob of pigs into over drive.

I have a few more especially where I had to cross a major river system in my Toyota Prado diesel.The water was actually on my bonnet and this river does have saltwater crocs in it plus Barramundi.
    Will post a few more pics and story a bit later,regards

Attached Files:

2. hairbear1

hairbear1 Member

Sorry for the double post of the boar as I'm still a tad tired from the trip home so I'll put up a pic of 1 of the wild dogs I shot with the 30/06AI at about 10 yds plus a pic of a water buffalo that would probably go about 95" across the horns

Attached Files:

3. hairbear1

hairbear1 Member

a bit better pic of how big the hooks are on the pig I shot.The cartridge is a 30/06AI.

Attached Files:

4. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Thanks for sharing, hairbear! Is that a Cape Buffalo in one of the pics above?? And, what submarine are you drive across the river?

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

Thats awesome!!

if it werent for the insane gun laws i would so immigrate there!!

6. orangello

orangello New Member

That second pic in post one needs a "Th-th-thats All Folks" caption. :D

Congratulations!

7. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Nice work hairbear, the NT is on my wishlist :cool:

The boy will have a hard time replacing those memories, I'm sure. Who did you book through if you don't mind me asking?

Dune, the buff down here are Asiatic Buffalo, bigger in body size and horns than Cape Buffalo. They are in almost plague proportions.

8. hairbear1

hairbear1 Member

As Auslach has stated they are a Asiatic water Buffalo.We also have Banteng and Scrub Cattle as well.
    I have a pic of a couple of junior Buffalo that my young fella took next to where we were camped.These were a little under weight for the market and so were left behind to fatten up a bit.
    The thing with this trip is that it can only be done between March thru to September/October as the Wet season starts and a vast majority of the Northern Territory is either under a couple feet of water or unpassable and a lot of the stations there are isolated for months until the water subsides.Places up there can get 10" of rain in a couple of hours during the Wet.It truly is a magnificent place.
    The runoff from the thousands of kilometres of land to the rivers and then to the ocean is phenominal during the Wet and that river(Daly River) during the Wet would be impassable as the water would be over the roof of the car plus I wouldn't be able to get in to there in any case as there's many creek crossings to get through before getting to there.
    The station we were hunting on is 90 kilometres in from the main highway on a dirt road and the turn off on the highway is 70 klms North of Katherine.

The 4wd I'm driving is a Toyota Prado 7 seater with a 3.0 litre turbo intercooled diesel.It's a slightly smaller version of the Toyota Landcruiser 4wd.

JonM, yes we do have some bloody stupid gun laws here and believe me a lot of we Aussies are very jealous of your CCW laws there as well as what you can own and shoot :mad:
    Mate don't let a few stupid gun laws worry you move down here and we'll show you real beer and tucker :)

Auslach I booked the hunt through Matt Graham at Hunt Australia who's also a Moderator on the hunting forum I'm a member of here in Aussie.The forum is AHN(Australian Hunting Net) if your interested to have a look.

Here's some of the country we hunted in.The little mounds you see are termite nests and a bit further North around Darwin and into Arnhem Land get taller than a car in a lot of places.
    The country up there is much like a open parkland type thing as in Africa,regards

Attached Files:

9. hairbear1

hairbear1 Member

A few more pics of the crossing and this 1st vehicle is a Mitsubhshi Pajero 4wd petrol.
    The 2nd pic is a Toyota Landcruiser 4.2 litre diesel which was 1 of our vehicles for getting around the bait stations,regards

Attached Files:

10. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Great pics......Thanks! Almost makes me feel like I'm there!! :D [​IMG]

11. hairbear1

hairbear1 Member

And for any of you out there that think we Aussies don't do things big have a go at 1 of our roadtrains that are a common scene in the Northern Territory,Western Queensland,South Australia and Western Australia.These are 53 metres in length and are generally powered by a 650+ hp engine and are also used to cart fuel,general freight,frozen produce and heavy machinery.

Attached Files:

12. hairbear1

hairbear1 Member

Here's a couple of pigs heads taken from a stand

Attached Files:

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Great stuff there hairbear! [​IMG]

14. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Great pictures Hairbear.

Looks like all of you had a great hunt,and memories to boot!

15. hairbear1

hairbear1 Member

Here's a bit of the hunt from day 4,

Just to get back on track with this ,there was a afternoon, evening where I was dropped off at a bait station with my rifle,some water, a torch and a can of mozzie repellant (RID it's called and works real well) and it was set up over a couple of donkey and horse carcasses that were to say the least all but ready to get up and walk away by themselves.

I climbed up into the stand and set myself up in the late afternoon light and waited for something to happen.
    After a 1/2 hr or so a black boar wandered out from the scrub and headed towards the baits and on his way in stopped,sniffed the air and then proceeded to rub his bum on a log and walk towards the baits again.

About 5 yds of the baits it stops again and starts to eat something on the ground and it sounded like Homer Simpson in a feeding frenzy.

Well he finished that and took a couple more steps to the baits and was about to start eating when at a range of about 5 yds from the stand I drove a 165gn Game King into him and he dropped on the spot.

He was in good shape and had a good set of hooks on him so I dragged him away from the baits and got back up in the stand and waited for something else to come in.

About 45 minutes later another boar,bigger than the 1st came in from the same spot and he almost followed the same path as the 1st and did the same thing as in rubbing his bum on the same log and then stepped forward to a small sapling and rubbed his face on it and then gave it a real towelling with it's hooks.

He then started to walk towards the boar I'd just shot and I started to worry a bit as if he got a sight of the dead boar he may decide to leave real quick and as I couldn't bring the rifle to bear properly because he was on my right side 1 o'clock it would've meant making a bit of noise to move for a clear shot.

At the last moment he veered towards the baits and as he stopped he sniffed the air and as he lent forward to start feeding I drove a shot through his left shoulder down into his chest to which he then spun around and headed straight at the stand and as he passed under me I aimed the rifle bashcally free hand straight down at him and let another round go straight down thru his back which made him do a big power slide and he landed right next to the 1st boar I'd dropped and dragged off to the side,talk about whack,pack and stack.

I didn't get down but stayed up in the stand feeling real happy about how things were turning out.

Now it was dark and the moon was rising and there was a bit of natural light about so sitting there I was thinking about when the guide would be back to pick me up when I could hear a noise on the baits as something was tearing into it.
    I slowly picked up the torch and rifle and at the instant I turned the torch on a wild dog stood in the light with a look of "Oh ****! this ain't going to be good!" look on it's face.

I couldn't stop s******ing and let him go as I didn't want to ruin the chance of scaring any pigs off in the area so I let him go and turned the light off and waited.

10 minutes passed and then the sound of something into the baits again had me lookingand not seeing anything I had a look through the 'scope in the moonlight and the wild dog was back again but very edgy.
    "RIGHT,thats it I thought and as I started to take up pressure on the Timney trigger a low grunting sound a bit further out had me looking through the 'scope a bit further out and a dark shape in the ''scope turned out to be pig no.3 walking in to a easy feed or so he thought.

The dog was still hacking into the carcass and I put the scope on the pigs chest area and at the sound of the blast the 'scope was filled with a bright orange flame and also the sound of the dog yelping it's way off into the scrub like the space shuttle taking off.
    Pig no.3 was laying next to the carcass dead as the pill had gone down the length of it's body through it's chest area.
    And that was that as not long after that the guide turned up and after looking at the 3 pigs decided that 2 of them had good sets of hooks and cut the heads off and we took them back to camp to boil the tusks off.

Attached Files: