My Turn To Ask Opinions-

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by HOSSFLY, Mar 12, 2014.

1. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Thinking about trading for a blued Kimber ultra carrÿ II - Have thought I wanted a compact 1911 for years but prices have kept me from buying-- Pros? - Cons ?- It comes with nite sights & 2 extra WC mags-
    I'll only have about $525 invested (due to my trading skills :D)
    Only pic I have right now--

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

If it is from someone you know, and it has a good track record for reliability, then I'd go for it. I have some personal dislikes of the Series II Kimbers. If you didn't like it you could still get your investment back plus some.

Since you may ask what my personal dislikes are I'll go ahead and put them out there now. One is, that for whatever reason, it seems like their "stainless" barrels liek to show up even brand new in the box with rust spots. Doesn't make me feel great about carerying one in humid places. the other stems from doing my own 1911 work. I don't like the extra parts for the firing pin safety.

Personal observations and opinions. Take them with a grain of salt. At $525 I'd still be tempted to buy one just to flip it for something I like better.

3. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Great minds think alike :)

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

Not a kimber fan due mainly to their very spotty cs. But they have a following so if your looking to do a turn and burn and its a great price for something you can use for trade fodder...

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

That's my biggest concern- not a fan- have to think more- it is gud fodder but so is what I have to trade ;)

6. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

My friend Skip bought a new Rock Island compact 1911 for about $450. It was accurate and functioned perfectly right out of the box.

7. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I have a Kimber Pro Carry, it has never failed to go bang, fed every ammo I loaded into it.

But I do not like the bushingless barrel system. If the pistol you are looking at has a bushingless barrel, check it out closely before purchasing.

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

It is not like that is the only 1911 in the stable.
    Go ahead. If you don't like it, trade it.

But if you do trade it, look at the other NY manufacturer (CZ-USA Dan Wesson).

9. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Kimber has the potential to be a very good handgun purchase at their present day price point. Unfortunately, their customer service stinks, as does their 1 year limited warranty. When you get one that works it's a great firearm. When you don't it's a good paperweight, because based on personal experience Kimber can't fix it.

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

if it's over a year old the warranty period is long gone. if you know the person selling and it has been a good pistol for them, more than likely it would work great for you as well. are they selling because it's having problems and Kimber couldn't rectify the problem?

as mentioned, in the very least, it would make for good trading material, especially at that price.

good luck with whatever you decide to do.:D

11. therewolf

therewolf New Member

What's the humidity like in Texas? Because, here,

in Florida, I bought my very LAST blued gun many

moons ago...

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

sometimes the humidity can be quite bad, depending on the amount of rainfall we get. i have seen summers where the humidity was so bad, that a person would be soaking wet from sweat by 8 am!

13. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I got a Crimson Pro Carry 2 for Christmas and in the first 200 rounds I wasn't impressed but then suddenly it functioned perfectly and is very accurate, I have come to love it and being as light as it is it's an easy carry piece.

14. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

I've had great luck with Kimber. At that price, from a reliable source, I wouldn't hesitate.

15. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Not a Kimber fan but at that price I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up as long as Bubba the smiff hasn't touched it. There are a couple of the worlds greatest pistol smiths who carry Kimbers. Get it if untouched.

16. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Thanks guys- all good input-
    Leaning away from the Kimber & looking at a Springfield Range Officer :confused:

17. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I can't tell you about the range officer, but I carried a Springfield Champion for a couple years and never had a problem with it. It put the rounds where I wanted them and it fed anything I put in it.

18. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I know Springers so decided on it- also come with box & plastic junk & thankfully all original parts :) Read a lot of positive reviews--

[​IMG]

19. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Very nice. You'll enjoy it for many years.

After my post to you I was sitting here thinking about a one in a million shot I made with my Champion. My dogs were raising a fuss one night and I grabbed the pistol and went outside to see what was up. The three of them had cornered a coiled pigmy rattler in the middle of the yard. I was about 20 feet from it, and all I had for light was the porch light and a street light at my back about 15 more feet behind me. I took a knee and told the dogs to get in the house.

As soon as they were clear I fired one round at it. I half expected to either miss or see it flopping around. It dropped right there. I had crushed 3/4 of it's head, but the head was still intact and on the body. You could actually see the crush line around the impact area. Without a doubt that was a shot I will never be able to do again, but I sure was proud of that one.

20. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Too bad the magwell/MSH is not arched. :p

Nice shooter, Hoss.