My survival dream

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by michigan0626, Nov 24, 2010.

1. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

2. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I did not want that to end. Gotta buy the DVD I guess.

3. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Great video. Thanks for sharing

4. bkt

bkt New Member

Watching that was therapeutic. Thanks for posting. I might have to get those DVDs....

5. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

The movie, click.

6. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

7. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

He was an amazing man. Definite carpentry skills. That was impressive. That would take me my whole year to complete, and still not look one fourth as good.

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Thank you for that document of an exceptional man.

9. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Saw a movie about a kid who wanted to go into the Alaskan wilderness and survive off the land....he died after 6 months, of starvation.

If you do this, be prepared for severe hardship and extended periods where food is not going to be readily available and weather extremes beyond belief.

Mr. Proenneke was apparently exceptionally fit, had expert carpentry skills and was adept at living in the wilderness.

Inspirational!!

10. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Was that the story where he burned the contents of his wallet and then wandered off into the wilderness extremely un-prepared? With almost no outdoor experience?

11. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Exactly!! Lived in an abandoned camper converted bus, I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did. Between near hypothermia and severe starvation, he was too weak to even get out of bed!!

12. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I did not care to see the movie, so don't know the whole story, but in my mind he was just another tragic example of a splash of bleach in the gene pool. Am I wrong?

The movie title was "Into the Wild" or something like that?

13. Bello

Bello New Member

YEap...Cool little movie

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LAuzT_x8Ek]YouTube - Into the Wild - Trailer[/ame]

14. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

I watched that a couple of years ago. He eats some kind of poisonous potatoe that makes him delirious and unable to keep down and food eventually starves to death. Death by potatoe. I liked that fact that it was an adventurist movie, but a little too hippy at times.

15. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Poisonous potato? Major suckage.

I'll need to watch it, I guess. Thought he died of natural stupidity...

16. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

He did eat a poisonous root that he had mistaken for one that was fine to eat. The pages in some book stuck together so the pic of the poisonous root was on the first page and when he looked to see if it was edible, he got the info about a different root. I think it was based on a true story, probably loosely based. The part about his mom being the trailer park drunk whore was probably true, but do not quote me on that. Or was that a different movie?

17. |0xc0|

|0xc0| New Member

I have been thinking of doing much the same but not that far north. I figured if I was to take a crossbow and kill some deer and the like I could survive for a long time in the forests. Of course I would have to eat meat all the time. I would not have any thing to do either...I guess I would probably go insane after a while but still maybe it is worth the risk. What do you think? If I was for some reason in danger of being killed would not it be worth a try?!

18. JR36

JR36 New Member

Heimo's Arctic Refuge: Full Length - Far Out | VBS.TV

Story of a man and his wife who live in NE Alaska year round. They lived there before the area became an refuge and got grandfathered in to live there. Only two people in an area the size of South Carolina. Host and crew are non outdoorsy so it makes for some interesting moments.

19. amoroque

amoroque New Member

Thanks for sharing Michigan0626, that video made me want to pitch a tent too! LOL ;)