My Sunday Afternoon Project-#2

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Car54, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Car54

Car54 New Member

Sitting around doing nothing so I decided to put another lower together. This one is all Palmetto State Armory with the MOE grip, trigger guard, and butt stock.

The pesky pivot pin spring and detent gave me fits until the fifth try I was able to get the pin started properly. Never launched the detent or spring because I kept a thumb over them.

Then the disconnector felt like it was binding and I couldn't get any movement in order to align the hole to get the trigger pin set.

Once those two things were taken care of everything else went smooth.

I haven't decided what upper to mate it with yet.

Attached Files:

2. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

SWEET!
    I'm out in nearly 100deg temps getting our trailer ready for a trip.
    Yours looks like much more fun :cool:

3. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I have an upper we can put on that lower. I'll shoot you my FFLs address ;)

4. Car54

Car54 New Member

Actually I was thinking about a Delta .300 Blackout.

5. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Well I guess lol

6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

CAR54

Most generally if you can not get the disconnector to push down to align the disconnector with the trigger. The Disconnector Spring is upside down. The large coil goes into the trigger housing and the small end sets with the window of the disconnector on it.

Installing the Pivot Pin:

The pivot pin issue and maybe some help for all here who are building a lower. You can go to the hardware and buy a clevis pin that will fit into the pivot pin hole on the receiver. The Clevis Pin has a hole on one end which you can slip the spring through the hole and then into the receiver. Then put the detent on top of the spring through the hole in the Clevis Pin. Depress the Detent with a punch and rotate the clevis pin retaining the detent. Remove the punch and install the Pivot Pin pushing out the clevis pin and while pressing down hard install the Pivot Pin. (*Position the Pivot Pin so when installing the radius sides face the detent! Do not install it with the Detent Track or the Pin Hole facing the Detent.) Or get a Pivot Pin Installation Tool from Brownells. But the Clevis Pin is cheap!!!

7. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Where's the fun in that...any builder worth his salt has a flying detent spring story to tell...:p

8. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Really??? :cool: PM with details if applicable...

9. Car54

Car54 New Member

Sniper,

I made a tool that worked fine on my first lower, this one I just couldn't coordinate the pin while tapping out the tool. As the pin and the tool passed over the detent, I didn't push down the tool hard enough to keep the detent down to have the pin slide over it.

With the disconnector, it was tight when I set it on the trigger, and when I pushed down it became so tight I had to use a lot of force to pull it back out. There was some coating that scraped off one side so I'm thinking the disconnector had some extra metal or coating on it. It wasn't the spring. Everything works fine doing function tests.

I appreciate the comeback though.

Attached Files:

10. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I was just messing w/ Car54 trying to get him to donate his lower :D

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Like Sniper03, I use the clevis pin trick and it really helps. Get the 1/4" size, as I remember it was about $1.50 at Lowes. I had to file it slightly as the hole was rough and I didn't want to force it through the lower. Just a little touchup and it inserted nicely.

Car54's dowel looks good too.

12. luan87us

luan87us New Member

I found an interesting trick to install the pivot pin on youtube. Use the blade of the box cutter knife (Or anything that can hold down the spring but thin enough for you to push the pivot pin into the lower). I'm going to try that trick out. Can't wait for next friday to come. I wonder when will I ever get my upper order as it has my MOE stock kit with it so I can't complete the lower until the damn thing arrive.

13. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

A paper clip works great for me.

14. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

CAR

Also remember one thing we teach in the schools. Just because it is a new part do not always assume it is a good part! You are correct! Probably was not exactly correct to begin with. One company that sells a lot of lower parts kits has had some parts kits going out where even the whole rear section where the Disconnector Spring goes (the Boxed section) was formed at least 15 to 20 degrees off center. You could hardly get the disconnector in and if you did it would drag! I have seen two sets in the past 4 months with this problem.
    Bottom line if you have any problems with function that you will need a new trigger if the Disconnector is flat and has no burrs on it? I think it is simply the trigger as you stated. Let us know if any of us can assist! And have the company you purchased it from replace it.

15. Car54

Car54 New Member

Will do, thanks. Mine was binding on the bottom of the disconnector just below the trigger pin hole. There is two scrape marks on the left side of the disconnector because it was so tight. Before I buttoned everything up I made sure it was rocking up and down on the spring and there wasn't anymore binding.