My stupid smart phone

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by dragunovsks, Mar 9, 2013.

1. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I have an HTC Inspire phone with AT&T, yesterday I get a message from HTC saying a security update is available and required, so I downloaded it. Now every 10 minutes I get a "sorry" message saying com.htc.bge has stopped working. First couple times i saw it i just ignored it because on occasion ive seen similar messages before. But now everytime it comes up I report the problem to HTC. But now this morning I realize my alarm clock in my phone isnt working. I use my phones alarm clock to get up for work.

Any phone techie guys know if I can unistall this update or what can I do?

2. rurak

rurak New Member

I'm pretty sure you can restore any phone to factory settings. Its somewhere in thr settings menu

3. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I quit updating apps and have been much happier (droid). I lost my alarm clock the same way, and downloaded ihandyalarmclock. Works good, but not quite as convenient as the one I lost. No biggie.

4. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Well, that's why I live with the DumbAss phone.
    I can call folks, and they can call me.
    All else is superfluous. :)

5. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

On android phones some apps cause conflicts with other apps and make the phones act quirky at times, deleting Apps you don't use or can live without can help. On my iPhone updates can not be uninstalled, in fact I had to update my older phone to restore it(I use it as an iPod).

A general thing that helps all smart phones is to power it down daily for a minute or two, also if the battery can be removed, it can be helpful to power it down and remove the battery if problem persist.

6. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

I dumped my android based phone almost two years ago because I updated it and it stopped receiving messages and phone calls. Therefore it was useless as a phone.

After a ton of heckling with the verizon sells-man (my phone was out of warranty but I was not eligible for an update and they did not care that my phone broke because of a software update) I purchased an Iphone at a discount and have been very happy with it ever since. Very few problems.

I am never one to buy into the "new hip thing" but hey, I can say that there is a reason the Iphone is so popular.

7. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

IMO the iPhone is the superior product in the sense it's far more refined and tried and true. Of course they aren't perfect but they are far more trouble free in my experience

8. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Well I just think the software is more stable

9. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

What is a Smart Phone? :rolleyes:

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

I have the Galaxy S2, and I've discovered my biggest conflicting app is facebook. It's a real bastard. But I've also kicked my phone across a parking lot in the rain by accident. Was running and it slipped out of my hand and hit my foot mid stride.

11. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I've had a smart phone for years so you know i know what I'm talking about , and what I always do is skip one upgrade. So for example when apple came out with iOS 6.1.1, I waiting til 6.1.2 to upgrade.

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

The biggest thing I hate is the way my phone randomly shuts down. For no reason at all. It'll just randomly turn off.

13. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

You made it mad. Machines and electronics tend to mad sometimes.

14. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I stopped by the att store in my hometown and the lady said she'd seen that message before, apperently i missed an update. I received one update message when i was supposed to receive two, downloading one without the other caused the issues. I downloaded the update via my dad's home wifi and everything is working fine.

Speaking of iphones, i wont buy one. My brother has one and he has mixed feelings on it, first, it cost him 10 bucks more on his plan just because he has an iphone, WTF? It irritates the hell outta me when i go to get a new phone case and retailers only have iphone products. My phone does most the same stuff an iphone does for less.

15. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

I think this just might be true.

For example…my wife can pick up the Dish remote control, point it at the ceiling rather than the receiver, start fussing and fuming because it won’t work…and within a few seconds it won’t even work if she points it directly at the receiver.

I can take it from her, hold it in my hands for a few seconds to calm it down, point it at the receiver, and it will work perfectly.

Pi$$es her off big time! :)

16. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I have had an iPhone since 2007 and I don't think you can beat it. Sprint charges $10 extra for any smartphone so either way I get hit with that. I had an EVO for about 6 months, like some features about the android, but I just felt the keyboard is better on the iPhone and I prefer the connect ability with exchange and Facebook that the iPhone have.
    Just me, I know there are other that swear by android (my wife, my son).

17. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Android is a lot like Windows. It's easily corrupted when buried by loads of crap software.
    Every so often you have to just bite the bullet and reset it to the way it was when it left the factory. My wife just had to do that with her Galaxy S2. But then she's always downloading something cool & new. My HTC Design works fine, but I don't really have much in the way of extraneous crap on it.

18. jgoertz

jgoertz New Member

I like the IPhone 'cause I can set up a WiFi hotspot where ever I need one. For example, if I need my laptop for some reason at the Lakehouse, I can. We don't have a land line, DSL, or cable TV by choice. (We have DirecTv).
    I don't know of other phones can do that or not.

19. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

My HTC does that, so does my wife's

20. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Many Android phones will do the hotspot thing. HOWEVER, people need to check with their carrier and find out what it will cost.
    Note: There is also third party software that will do the same thing, without incurring the fee from your carrier.