My Second Gun

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by victorzamora, Feb 9, 2011.

1. victorzamora

victorzamora New Member

Hey guys, I'm looking for a semi-auto 22LR pistol that doesn't look like a Buckmark (I just dislike the style). I want a gun that looks like a real gun...y'know? I have a Beretta Px4 Storm SubCompact in 9mm, and would like to keep ammo cheap. Right now, I'm looking at two options.

1) Buy a centerfire caliber that there are conversions for. I was thinking either a 92FS/PT92, a 9mm 1911, or a 9mm Glock. Depending on what the recommendations are, I might get a convertible centerfire for my girlfriend and the conversion kit later.

2) Buy a ground-up 22LR handgun that's pretty.

3) Suck it up, get the Beretta U22 Neos and have the carbine kit option for later.

I'm looking to stay around $400 for a centerfire, plus the conversion (later). $300 for a ground-up 22LR pistol. The Neos is $275, but is Buckmark-style.

2. victorzamora

victorzamora New Member

Also, this is a longish-term thing, so I'm not looking for used gun deals (although an incredible deal wouldn't be the worst thing in the world). I will hopefully make the purchase by early May, though.

3. dallascj

dallascj New Member

Check out ISSC of Austria. They make a pretty cool little .22 that looks very much like a Glock, and I hear is well built.

Saw this on Bud's Gun Shop: ISSC M111001 M22D 22LR 4" 1x10rd mag DUOISS

[​IMG]

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

5. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

6. victorzamora

victorzamora New Member

Yeah, I know...I've been kind of drooling over that gun. However, I don't know if I'm really the biggest fan of 1911's. I mean, part of me likes them and part of me really dislikes them. 1911 fans, please calm down. I'm 6'5" and find it to be slightly too thin for me. I haven't shot one, but I've held 5 or 6 and haven't been thrilled.

The GSG has definitely moved high on my list of what to buy, and for the price you can't beat it. It's only 50% more than the upgrade for a 1911, but it's about comparative advantage. I think I can get a 9mm 1911 for $400 and the upgrade for $200. That's $600 for a gun and a half. OR, I could get a 9mm handgun and the GSG 1911 for $400 and $300, so $700 for both guns. Yeah, it's $100 more...but it's two full guns.

By the way, I'm stuck on 9mm because it's cheap to shoot and it won't cause my girlfriend to start flinching when she starts shooting "bigger" rounds more often. I mean, she can handle a 9mm just fine now, but I want both of us to gain proficiency with a pistol. I guess I'll be looking at a second 9mm as well as a 22LR. Now I have to decide between a buckmark style gun and a "centerfire" style gun (yeah, I know a Luger looks more like a buckmark, but you know what I mean). I guess a lot of that is up to her, though.

7. fixxer

fixxer New Member

Well, since I can't talk you into a 22/45 like I have: Sig Mosquito all the way! Not pricey, has a real handgun look and feel and is a quality piece. You can find them in varius finishes and threaded barrels if you want. I read the reiveiw of the ISSC in Handguns Mag and they liked it. But for $400-$500, it really doesn't offer much. ISSC supposedly was responding to the Glock fans that wanted "Glock .22LR" practice pistols. The only problem with that is Glock looked at the market and seen that the aftermarket conversion kits made for $200 already have that market flooded. No point in reinventing the wheel and charging 2X the price, IMHO.

8. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I was just like you and wanted a gun that looks like a centerfire,but after reading how some of them are poorly made and how some of the guns like my new Ruger 22/45 are much better quality,I got an ugly 22/45 and after shooting it I am hooked on it,in the end you will appreciate reliability more than looks.

9. NGIB

NGIB New Member

IMHO (and I've owned all types) the best "real gun" .22s are the Sig Classic series. I had a P220 in .22 that was a really great shooter and was a real P220. Sig would sell you the centerfire top end if you desired to convert the .22 to it's bigger brother. All of the "real gun" style .22s are going to be considerably more expensive than the "ray gun" style of .22 (Ruger, buckmark, NEOS, etc.)

Exactly where are you finding 9mm 1911s for $400???

10. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

My buddy bought a Walther P22. It was a good fit for my hand, and I like my Colt Government for fit. It never had a fail to feed, jam or ejection issue in the 250 rounds we fired through it. Small and compact, it looks nothing like the Buckmark.

11. victorzamora

victorzamora New Member

Not sure, I thought that's what I was looking at. Obviously not. To be honest, though....I'm not even the biggest fan of 1911's. For $400 I could get a PT92 in 9mm. There's a conversion kit for that!

12. victorzamora

victorzamora New Member

Well, looking at it now...I might end up getting the LC9 as my girlfriend's carry gun (she wanted an LCP but I wanted it in 9mm as 380 is about twice the cost to shoot). I might get the .22 soon and her LC9 whenever I scrape the cash together.

13. victorzamora

victorzamora New Member

Well, guys, as much as I want a non raygun-style 22LR pistol...the U22 Neos is too cheap for me to pass up! It's like $240 from Bud's, and I can't find anything better for the price. I'm considering a Chiappa's 1911-22 as well....but it's not much cheaper than the GSG.

However, the GF is stuck between the 1911-22 and the U22...so I might just get the U22 because of the huge ($60 or 25%) price difference.

14. victorzamora

victorzamora New Member

I know, dead thread....but I hate threads that don't finish up properly.

I ended up buying an all black Walther P22 on February 25, and have 1740 rounds through it. I'm absolutely in love with that gun!! I definitely made the right choice.

15. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Winner, duner!!

The Walthers are good guns. I saw this thread after your well done closure, and as reading all I thought of was the Walther P22. How about a range report?

16. victorzamora

victorzamora New Member

Alrighty then, range report.

Overall, the gun is amazing. Adjustable rear sight really helps, I feel like I'm really getting it dialed in. It's smooth, it hardly has a failure, and it fits GREAT in my hand. From standing with no artificial support, I'm getting groups of about 3' at 110 yards. I can hit a rock about 1'x4' about six times out of ten at 110yds, even though I realize that's NOT what it's been designed for.

My gun seems to REALLY hate Federal bulk pack bullets, but LOVES CCI bullets, Remington Thunderbolt, and even Remington Bulk. I think the Federal is too slow. QUITE often it wouldn't cycle a new round back into the chamber and required reracking the slide. I literally reracked 10 times in one magazine. REALLY annoying.

One thing about this gun and I wasn't warned. There's a plastic rod in every gun case that looks like the most useless thing on the planet. In all reality, it's about the opposite. It's used for reassembly.

Would I recommend it? Absolutely! My girlfriend is now so comfortable with it that she can take it apart without any hesitation, has become more confident around my Px4, and has even understood the process of cleaning a rifle. Seriously, the Walther P22 may have been the best decision I've made in a long while.

17. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

HOLY CRAP!!! You don't like the way buckmarks look and you don't like 1911's......... I gave you two thumbs down! :D

Wait...what? You shot your .22 pistol at 110yrds???? Why?

I'm glad you like your walther. Maybe let your girlfriend try the buckmark? I love mine and would put it up against any .22 out there. ;)

18. SGT_Calle

SGT_Calle New Member

Congrats on the walther! After first reading your post I was thinking walther or Sig (which I have and really like).

19. victorzamora

victorzamora New Member

Believe me, I understand....I get made fun of consistently for disliking 1911's and Buckmarks. Believe me, I get it. I also get that for what they are, they're good and they do well...but it's very utilitarian. I don't want to buy something just because they're kinda good at what they do. The 1911 is a great design, and an incredible design to be 100 years old. However, there ARE better guns out there.

My girlfriend tried the Buckmark but wasn't impressed. She thinks the Neos is the prettiest, closely followed by the P22. I don't like the U22, so I got the P22....plus I found an AMAZING deal on it. It was $300 OTD, BNIB.

The reason I shoot at 110yds is because I shoot at Jefferson National Park public range, which is pistols and rifles. They have berms at 15, 25, 50, 75, 100, and the back wall is at 110. So I shoot at boulders at the back to test both myself and the gun. I know the ammo is capable of small groups, because I shoot it through my 22 rifle (Mossberg 702, highly recommended...picked it up for $99). It's kind of my show-off thing to do :D

20. jamesb

jamesb New Member

I just picked up a used P22 for $200 and mine has the OD frame. I love it so far!

You are really grouping 3" at 330 feet?! That seems a bit insane.

Edit: oh 3 feet not 3 inches. That seems more believable. :D