my screen name explained

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by widowmaker, Jun 11, 2013.

1. widowmaker

widowmaker New Member

A fellow asked me why my screen name was widowmaker. Well, it has nothing to do with being an actual widow maker.
    It comes from a hill I used to try to climb on a motorcycle in the mid 1960s.
    It was located in a place called 3 Rocks just off highway 33 in the central
    California valley. I rode an old stripped down Honda 305. A group of us tried to climb that darned hill for years. Very few made it all the way and more than a few wound up in the hospital. At the bottom of the hill on the run out area about 200 yards away there was a gully that was about 30 feet across and 20-25 feet deep. Several people ran off into it and had to be helicoptered out.
    So thats the source of my screen name.

2. rickster

rickster New Member

Thought maybe you owned one these beauties.

image-2011031775.jpg

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

That's what I thought, too.

4. johnr1943

johnr1943 New Member

I thought you were a retired cowboy... :cool:

5. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

Ha!

I thought you were an assassin, but was afraid to ask.....;)

6. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  7. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

In the Mid '60's a 305 Honda was pretty new! In the early '70's we would work Honda 250's and do the same stupid stuff. Coming down was often even worse.

8. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Funny we had a Battalion C.O.(on my first duty posting) we called the Widowmaker!! As a company C.O. in the Nam he tried charging a Cong stronghold with half his company wounded...he got some lettuce but he had to write all those women and tell them why their husbands weren't coming home....Glad I got outta that Unit

9. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I always wondered where Winds-of-Change got her name from! And I don't want to know about the origin of Hockalouie. :p :cool:

10. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

We didnt have scooters that could climb steep hills, just horses. That can be a bit scary when you get half way up and wished you hadnt tried it. Horse dont fail me now! I never rolled a horse but came damn close a few too many times. I dont know how I survived being young and dumb!

11. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Mine is much more boring: Went to College for 15+ years(after active Duty, excluding the 6 semesters i did before puttin on the Uniform), came time to write a dissertation, so what's the thing I know the most about(after Macintosh Computers but before Firearms) and thats Football! Funny I guess i'll have to loose the Nick now that I'm out of sports media...

12. widowmaker

widowmaker New Member

I'm just guessing here but maybe it's because women are as changeable as the wind. You never know which direction the storm will blow in from.
    Just kidding WOC

13. rickster

rickster New Member

You are playing with fire and you may get burned. That's if you didn't start the fire already. Lol.

14. AR10

AR10 New Member

I own five AR15s and one AR10. AR15 and Glock20 was taken.

ForumRunner_20130607_234850.jpg

15. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Taken, as in stolen? Where did you hide the body??? :eek: :D