Firearms Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Two years go while my wife and I went to look at some property we had found for a good price, our lives changed forever! After dark when we pulled of the road from which the property was located on, two vehicles appeared to be trying to run us off the road useing their vehicles. One came beside us almost hitting us in the side while the other one rode up on our back bumper. At the time I was a FFL liceanse holder and sold guns for a living. Fearing we may be in danger I held my gun up in the air. This brought what we thought was a bad situation to a end without anyone getting hurt. Next thing I know I am sitting in prison with charges of aggravated assualt. Can anyone help me at this point? I have served the time and still have probation to deal with. We live in North Georgia and I still run a Pawn Shop. Today a man came in and told me about this Forum and also said" if anyone could help me and my family it was John Monroe." After telling him what they did to me, like most everyone he said," they can't do that!" Well they did and I truley need help. So PLEASE! can someone help me

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
You brandished a firearm. That's illegal and you were convicted of doing it by a jury of your peers. Man up, serve your time and quit whining about it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Two years go while my wife and I went to look at some property we had found for a good price, our lives changed forever! After dark when we pulled of the road from which the property was located on, two vehicles appeared to be trying to run us off the road useing their vehicles. One came beside us almost hitting us in the side while the other one rode up on our back bumper. At the time I was a FFL liceanse holder and sold guns for a living. Fearing we may be in danger I held my gun up in the air. This brought what we thought was a bad situation to a end without anyone getting hurt. Next thing I know I am sitting in prison with charges of aggravated assualt. Can anyone help me at this point? I have served the time and still have probation to deal with. We live in North Georgia and I still run a Pawn Shop. Today a man came in and told me about this Forum and also said" if anyone could help me and my family it was John Monroe." After telling him what they did to me, like most everyone he said," they can't do that!" Well they did and I truley need help. So PLEASE! can someone help me
First, are you a GCO member? If not, it's the best $16 you'll ever spend for help on issues such as yours. If you already are a member, contact them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You brandished a firearm. That's illegal and you were convicted of doing it by a jury of your peers. Man up, serve your time and quit whining about it.
If what you say were true do your research and you will find that in the fine state of Georgia brandishing a firarm is a misdemeanor, not a felony. There is a big differance in the two. If this were to happen to you and your family I don't think you would call it "whining." You would want to make sure this does not happen to anyone else. Even if you couldn't clear your own name you would think, but maybe not in your case.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
If what you say were true do your research and you will find that in the fine state of Georgia brandishing a firarm is a misdemeanor, not a felony. There is a big differance in the two. If this were to happen to you and your family I don't think you would call it "whining." You would want to make sure this does not happen to anyone else. Even if you couldn't clear your own name you would think, but maybe not in your case.
What were you charged with then and how was the DA able to convince a jury of your peers of your guilt, without a doubt?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Brandishing a firearm is illegal if you're not justified in using deadly force. The question would be just HOW threatened did littlebrother feel? It sounded like there was some pretty aggressive driving happening there.

Of course, I'm only hearing one of three sides to this story... HIS. There's still the OTHER side, and what REALLY happened.

It's not exactly the same course of action I'd have taken in the same situation. If I had my family with me, I'd have slowed down to let them pass. If their intent was to harrass me, I'd continue driving slowly. I'm also not afraid to rub cars together in self defense. If you're driving slower, it's more difficult to get ran off the road, and when the time comes, you can always speed up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is this the same John "Sledgehammer" Monroe that is sueing so that we may carry legally in the Atlanta airport? Did he personally tell you this? Were you guilty of "brandishing?" defined: "move or swing back and forth; "She waved her gun?" Should this be preferable to shooting directly at them and killing someone? These are questions a lawyer should put convincingly to a jury. Was it a jury trial? There are many questions here but I wholeheartedly agree with Chuck that GeorgiaCarry.org is your best bet unless you have money for a great attorney. Go there, join and read what they have done. One can easily be run-over un-fairly in our system. To get help, you need to have very good records and all the proof possible. I pray you can convince who you need that can fight for you. From North GA myself.

GCO, NRA Member

·
Banned
120 Posts

We are not getting your full story....

I agree with matt g... but I would add that your attorney should be helping you... what you want is legal advice and I doubt if anyone on this forum or any other forum on the net is qualified to help you without REAL information.

My thought is that you lost your cool and took things a bit too far...

·
Banned
427 Posts
Perhaps you should begin by retaining a better lawyer. From what you've said it sounds like you made the serious mistake of either representing yourself or using the distinguished law firm of, 'Bilhim & Grin, LLC'.

(You know those two guys, right!) :p

You don't need internet advice; what you need is much better legal representation.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This may be true, but he was charged with aggravated assault, not brandishing, big difference. I'm all most sure the aggravated part was included 'cause there was a fire-arm involved.

Most likely the time has passed for an appeal, and certainly past for a better defense.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Perhaps you should begin by retaining a better lawyer. From what you've said it sounds like you made the serious mistake of either representing yourself or using the distinguished law firm of, 'Bilhim & Grin, LLC'.

(You know those two guys, right!) :p

You don't need internet advice; what you need is much better legal representation.
I've been represented by them and the firm of Dewey, Phukem and Howe too.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I don't think you lost your cool cause you gave those punks a chance to rethink their decisions instead of blowing them away at the first sign of trouble. I would get a better lawyer though. How did this affect your business?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In my case the arresting officer was said to be defending our country in Iraq so he would not be present in the court room. I have found he has never served with any armed forces and works at a bar in Ellijay, Georgia Club 515. The officer who was put on the stand said "it was daylight outside and I could see the other driver" the 911 call came in at 7:39 October 2. 2006. The Da told the jury that four guns in my home was a arsonal. Running a Pawn Shop I held a FFL liceanse and was schooled by a ATF officer. I was convicted of three counts of aggravated assault and sentenced to a eight do one . They brought in retired judge Hilton Fuller from Dekalb county to handle my trial one month before they passed the your car or truck being a extintion of your home law. For the record I have already served my time and this is more letting folks know that just because they are passing more laws to allow you to carry your gun don;t mean you wont be punished for useing them if you feel threatend. Another thing I might add is more people are killed in automobile accidents ever year than anything else. Look up funds available from the Federal Gov.to counties that have a rate increase of violent crimes. Then give everyone the rights they need to hang themselves if the feel they need to defuse a potentially life threatening situation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It really did not effect my business but did my family and that is what burns me up the most. That and they gave a child rapest probation and a man that helped his son bury his ex wife after the son killed her probation. Here I sat in three Maximum Secerity prisons for holding my gun straight up in my vehicle still in the sheath I might add!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Judge Said, that "if I was in fear for my life then I should have shot the gun." Now that statement from a judge almost seemed like damned if you do, damned if you don't to me. He was also trying the Brian Nichols case at the same time. There are so many things about my case that did not add up. The day before my trial was to begin my attorney came and told me that the DA wanted my gun, now keep in mind this is 11 months after the said inncodent. So I asked "is that a good idea and my attorney" said "yes, if you don't they will come take all your guns with a warrant." So he drove me up to the DA to give him exibit A and there was no exibit B or C or D ect.

·
Registered
21,822 Posts
Gentlemen, we are not a law firm.

We have no business providing legal advice other than "Get a pro-gun" lawyer.

google.gif it!

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.