My retirement gift to myself

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by TheOldMan, May 9, 2012.

1. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Not sure if this is the right place for this post but given the type of rifle I bought, it may be the begining of another passion:)

Recently retired, a normal Saturday starts with a trip to my local gunshop. while there, I came across what has become my retirement / birthday gift to myself (with my wifes approval of course).. Any input from you guys concerning experiences you've had with this particular firearm will be much appreciated.. I plan to take it out this weekend. Here is what I bought:

Savage Mod. 12 Benchrest Rifle in .308 cal. The cheek rest was added and I topped it off with a Nikon Buckmasters 4.5 x 14 x 40 scope. It is a used rifle and had the high rise Leupold rings already installed. I added the Harris bypod (which I had laying around. I also picked up a box of Winchester 168 gr. Hollow Point Boattail Match ammo to run through it...

Attached Files:

2. orangello

orangello New Member

I'm not into the benchrest thing, but I really like the stock.

3. fmj

fmj Active Member

Ditto the stock...like it!

4. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

If you like it, then what is there to question? Take that pretty little thing out to the range, grab a soda and unload and enjoy it!!

5. homelessguy01

homelessguy01 New Member

What a nice frigging rifle! I'm jealous, kudos man I wish you all the luck with her!

6. LikeABoss

LikeABoss Member Lifetime Supporter

Congratulations! Great looking gun.

7. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Thanks. Looking forward to taking it out this weekend. Look for a range report..

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Congrats from another recent retiree! Think you are gonna like that Savage a lot!!!

9. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Thanks... Unfortunatelly it will have to be tested at 100yrds. at the DNR range:( The gun club I used to belong to only takes apps on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at their offices. One of their ranges is 200yrds. and would be best for stretching this rifles legs on I think. In any event, I'll post a report after I take her out...

C3, I don't know about you but I seem to be busier now in retirement than I ever was working full time (lol) but it's more enjoyable...

10. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

If you can get your MOA down to 1/2 at 100 yds, then you know that your groups will be 2x at 200, 3x at 300, ... , and 10x at 1000 yds. Then the only other things you need to worry about are bullet drop, which you can get off any software program, and windage.

Your beautiful .308 will be a great deer and antelope gun, and also antipersonnel at long ranges.

Mine is essentially also set up the same as yours, except to include long shots on deer and elk in addition in 300 RUM.

I went with the Remington 700 however. And a very plain wood stock. Nothing beautiful or fancy.

Attached Files:

11. Tedennis

Tedennis New Member

What makes it a bench rest rifle? Or is that a model?

12. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

Congratulations on the retirement! (lucky bas… s fishermen) :eek: Excellent gift selection for yourself … who knows better? :D

13. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

This particular gun is considered an F-Class benchrest rifle. Not all model 12's are but this one was purpose built for long distance benchrest shooting.

An artical I came across concerning this rifle: http://www.chuckhawks.com/savage_M12-Fclass.htm

Thanks on both parts.. Once I saw this on the rack I knew it had to come home with me.. Just had to convince the wife :D

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  14. Tedennis

Tedennis New Member

Thanks for clearing that up. That was a great article about it as well.

15. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

I know what you're sayin on both accounts:cool:

16. billt

billt New Member

That rifle looks familiar! This is my Savage Model 12-F/TR I picked up a couple of years ago. It's one of my most accurate pieces. I topped it with a Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical, 5-15X 40 MM in Burris Signature Zee Rings. I almost have to try to make this gun shoot bad. Accuracy is superb with just about any handload I shoot in it. The 30" Stainless Steel barrel squeezes every ounce of velocity out of the .308 round. For an accurate rifle off the bench, this one is hard to beat.

I didn't install the cheek piece on the stock because you cannot remove the bolt with it in place. I didn't want to keep removing and installing the short wood screws they give you with it every time I clean the barrel. I wish they would have provided threaded steel inserts in the stock. Other than that, I can't find fault with it. Enjoy your retirement! I'll be joining you in just a couple years!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Rachelle

Rachelle New Member

Nice gift indeed

18. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

A while back, I posted a rather inept range report from my day at the DNR range :eek:... So after being accepted into my new gun club, I'm preparring to go out and file a true range report on my rifles accuracy :) Your pictures have inspired me. Everything I've seen and read on these rifles show them to be exceptional.. The weather here in the Middle Georgia area has been like hell on earth so I'm waiting for a cooler day to take this rifle out.

19. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Thank you.. Just happened to be in the right place at the right time. It was there calling out to me to buy and I had a good excuse to give to my wife to buy it ( retirement gift ) :)

20. Badshot320

Badshot320 New Member

On the bench i prefer not to touch the gun more then i have to. I put my thumb behind the trigger guard and pinch the trigger, palm the rear bag and thats it. That cheek pad make you feel loved by the gun? ( dont take this as me being a smarta$$ im just asking why) Seems to me the more contact you have with the gun the more chance you have of doing something wrong. I know you military guys were trained to grope the gun so dont flip out on me : P

Badshot